Two Italian Races to Consider and Advil warning

Old March 12th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Stuart

Default Two Italian Races to Consider and Advil warning

There's an earlier post below about the fine skiing in the Dolomites
around Cortina. This is certainly true. There is a yearly weekend of
races in the Dobbiaco-Toblach area that is great fun. Saturday race is
classic, Sunday is skate. Both go from the valley of Toblach basically
up to Cortina, a long, mostly gradual climb with spectacular views. At
the finish, the cool guys have good looking girls pick them up and the
rest of us take buses back to the start. The races seem to be held the
first weekend in Feb every year. You can register on the spot.

These are largely regional races of a few hundred racers but are very
well organized and have the feel of a smaller Worldoppet race without
any of the logistical problems of a huge race.

I did both this year and as usual, probably took a few too many Advil
before and after. This time it caught up with me and a couple of days
later (in Albania, of all places), I developed severe bleeding from
ulcer I didn't know I had in my esophogus. Not a fun time, lost 2/3rds
of my blood, and no doubt that the use of Advil and other like NSAIDS
over the counter drugs (Aleve, etc.) was a major factor.

In my case, I had been skiing like crap ever since the Canadian Ski
Marathon last year with some strange asthmatic like symptoms and now
it appears the culprit was this ulcer, for lots of complicated
reasons. Even though I had relatively high hematocrit (47), I wasn't
getting enough oxygen. For the first 25 km of Craftsbury this year,
for instance, my heart rate was at 95% of max and it wasn't like I was
trying to sprint. I did last 25 km in a trance like shuffle and was so
slow I had to be timed with a calendar. Anyway, once I get pumped
back up with blood, I hope to be able to return to my old level of
mediocrity.

Stats show that around 15,000 people die a year in US from overuse of
these over the counter anti-inflammatories, a stat I'd always ignored,
of course, when I wanted to take Advil, but, hey, take it from me,
these things can be nasty, nasty. So don't use too much and if you
feel like you are developing an ulcer problem, go see a doctor! A
little Nexium can go a long way to stopping any serious problems and
probably improve your performance.

Old March 12th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

Stuart, thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your ulcer. Good
message of caution about due care in using anti-inflammatories. I used
to pop'm as 'sports candy' and stopped after some stomach problems
too.

I kept an eye out for you in Mora, now I know why you weren't there.
Wish you a speedy recovery. See you on the tracks before too long.

Parham.

Old March 12th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Stuart,
Good to know about these races, but not to hear that you've had
serious problems. I quit taking the typical anti-inflammatories some
years ago just for fear of the type of reaction you had. Weight gain
and intestinal changes were bad enough, but the other effects seemed
like a crap shoot. Someone here or elsewhere suggested gamma lineolic
acid-based (GLA) herbal anti-inflammatories, such as black currant oil
or borage oil (more GLA), and they've done me well, along with
strengthening the injured body parts. Dr. Andrew Weil is big on herbal
anti-inflammatories and also recommends Circumin (sold as Turmeric),
fish oil or EPA (Omega-3), and ginger in food. I'd been using fish
oil and noticed even less swelling and better recovery from the
Turmeric/Circumin. See http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/index.html,
http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/.

rm

Old March 13th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Stuart

Thanks very much for suggestions! Will give them a try. I had heard
something about GLA but this is first actual account from someone who
tried it.

Many thanks!

Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:
[...]

probably improve your performance.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 13th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Some things you may hear of as anti-inflammatories that I'd suggest
staying away from are MSM, which messes with your intestinal tract and
isn't that effective, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. There were a
coupple of small studies in the '90s that found the latter, singly or
together, seemed to hold the line against cartilege deterioriation, and
somehow that morphed into them being anti-inflammatories, which they
are not.

rm

"Stuart" wrote:
[...]

problems and probably improve your performance.- Hide quoted text -

driving to the (Italian) Alps scott w European Ski Resorts 4 December 12th 06 09:06 PM
driving to the (Italian) Alps scott w European Ski Resorts 0 December 11th 06 10:32 PM
Italian resorts Switters Snowboarding 2 October 19th 04 07:55 AM
Italian Ski Service Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 2 February 24th 04 01:47 PM
Your Italian Consultant, your italian business opportunity Techenquire.com Marketplace 0 January 5th 04 01:09 PM