Jacket Advice?

Old October 8th 04, 10:27 PM
NIALLBRUCE

Default Jacket Advice?

I'm going on a skiing holiday this coming winter with a few friends and would
like to buy some equipment. However, I'm definately not an expert and would
greatly appreciate some advice!

1. I'm going with 2 girls. Neither has any skiing equipment but I have an old
nevica all-in-one suit that fits one of them perfectly.
a) Should the nevica jacket be used or are the £40-£50 jackets in the shops
just as good / better? I understand that it's definately not in vogue but
surely the nevica's still a technically good jacket? It also saves money on
salopettes! How does it compare with the relatively cheap options currently
available? It's not too bright (just has some bright rectangles in random
locations!)

b) One of the girls, at least, has to buy completely new ski-wear. They're both
beginners but I think that they will start skiing as a hobby once we've
returned from holiday. What are the 'cheap' jackets like? The label says that
they're breathable but are they really suitable for skiing? Do they constitute
a good buy or are the more expensive models a better investment?

c) Are there any shops / brands that we should look out for? I was very
impressed with the sale in nevisport last year. Unfortunately, we're going
before the sales this season so will have to suffer the full cost of clothing.
Makro has some cheap jackets - again, I don't know what they're like. I really
just want to know whether the cheaper alternatives are up to the job! We're
going to Courmayeur (high-resort) in January so I think that it will be quite
cold.

I'm also looking for a new jacket. Unlike the girls, I am likely to use mine as
an all-purpose jacket. I'd like something that looks good in the pub but is
also technically capable. I've done some research in a few shops, and on the
net, but would really like to know what is and what's not good.
a) Is the new gore-tex stretch material worth the extra money? There's a few
jackets in my local store with this technology but they're quite expensive
(£270?).
b) I liked the North Face jacket in the shop but the sales assistant said that
'Cold Mountain' was a better brand. I didn't know whether or not to believe
him. Is it possible to distinguish brands as being good or bad? It was a North
Face summit series - apparently this is their best jacket??
c) Are the very expensive jackets (one was called ArcTeryx) worth the expense?
They didn't necessarily have the best technology but online reviews suggest
that they're still the favoured option. I'm really confused!!

I really don't know how to advise the girls (and am really stuck myself). Any
advice on this area would be greatly appreciated! In particular, if there's a
website or shop that has some good deals etc, I'd love to know!!

Thanks in advance
Niall
Old October 9th 04, 10:13 AM
Simon Brown

Good jackets can be found for circa GBP 100 in regular retail stores in
skiing countries.

Get an idea of prices from a local resort or even browse the web with
Google - look for Intersport as an example http://www.intersport.ch/
although they don't seem to show prices like the once did.

Based on my very limited visits to ski shops in the UK I can only assume
that such shops are run by bandits or else there was a problem with the
computer used to calculate the exchange rates.
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/sales.JPG

And if you get the chance to visit a resort out of season you can get stuff
even cheaper.

For your own sake check out the continental stores first.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"NIALLBRUCE" wrote in message
I live in Aberdeen. There's a few outdoor shops nearby but they're all

very
expensive.
I've found a few websites in the US that seem to offer a good deal.

ArcTeryx
Sidewinder AR Jacket is over £400 in the UK but works out at £270 inc.

delivery
from the US (although I might be stung with taxes). I'm quite tempted -

all the
reviews suggest that it's an amazing jacket.
On the other hand, the local stores have lots of products around £100 -

£150
with Gore-Tex XCR and seemingly as many features as the more expensive

jackets.

Has outdoor clothing come down in price over the past couple of years? I

don't
think that I could have bought a decent jacket for under £150 a few years

ago!

I'm now trying to decide between ArcTeryx and Mountain Hardwear. Any

reviews
would be great!!

Niall

Old October 9th 04, 11:00 AM
Nick Hounsome

I first went skiing over 20 years ago and got a cheap, non-windproof,
non-waterproof but breathable (because it was only cheap nylon) jacket and a
pair of cheap salopettes from C&A. I then went
three times about ten years ago and 4 times over the last 2 seasons and I
never had any real problems!
I have now bought some better gear in last seaon's sales but you really
don't actually need much for most beginners skiing.

Consider:

Waterproof - It is unlikely to rain and if it does you are unlikely to want
to ski (A little light snow is no problem). That only leaves falling over in
slush which has only happened to me the one time I went at the end of the
season which is not a good time to take beginners anyway.

Breathable - If it isn't waterproof it is certainly breathable by default.
My old jacket got no more sweaty than my new one.

Windproof - OK - I have been stuck on lifts and wanted a bit more wind
protection but a beginner is not going to want to ski in a howling gale
anyway and good layering is more important - I have more often been too hot
than too cold.

Stylish - OK - the old jacket was starting to be embarrassing.

So I would advise that you just get the girls the cheapest stuff you can
and by something good next April if you want. The savings are too good to
pass up (£120 from £350 for the jacket and £70 from £120 for the trousers).

The two things I would spend out on initially are gloves (M&S £35 were the
cheapest reasonable ones I saw last year) and socks (which are a real
rip-off but make such a big difference in keeping your feet dry that they
are worth it)

One other thing is boots - they are expensive but my girlfriend has awkward
feet and I think I was wise to get her kitted out with a pair of soft
Salomon Verse boots before I took her on her first trip last season as
otherwise she could have been put off for good. Otherwise I envy my friends
who rented boots and then bought them for the same price as another week's
rental.

P.S. The best thing about my new gear is the vents in the jacket breast and
trouser inside legs.

Nick

Old October 9th 04, 11:03 AM
John Elgy

Simon Brown wrote:

Good jackets can be found for circa GBP 100 in regular retail stores in
skiing countries.

Get an idea of prices from a local resort or even browse the web with
Google - look for Intersport as an example http://www.intersport.ch/
although they don't seem to show prices like the once did.

Based on my very limited visits to ski shops in the UK I can only assume
that such shops are run by bandits or else there was a problem with the
computer used to calculate the exchange rates.
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/sales.JPG

And if you get the chance to visit a resort out of season you can get stuff
even cheaper.

For your own sake check out the continental stores first.

It is a bit early in the season for the UK discount ski clothing to
become available. Wait until early December or January before having a
serious look.

One of my friends a couple of years ago visited Aldi and bought a
complete ski suit at about £40. It was warm and comfortable for at least
a couple of trips. There are other discount shops available. I'll bet
even tesco will do some cheep ski clothing later in the year.

With ski jackets and trousers warmth isn't really an issue - you just
add more layers underneath. tracksuit bottoms under the trousers, for
example, if it is really really cold. What makes a good ski jacket IMHO
is the ability to keep out the wind, close all apatures to prevent the
ingress of snow and open some for the ingress of air to cool down and
also a few decent pockets. Except for late season skiing (or Whistler)
the good water proofness of gortex is a waste of money.

My advice, particularly for beginers, is to spend your money on good
gloves or mittens rather than fancy jackets and trousers.

BTW do ski shops in the UK actually do a conversion between currencies?

John
Old October 9th 04, 11:28 AM
Simon Brown

"John Elgy" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:

BTW do ski shops in the UK actually do a conversion between currencies?

John

Conversion factor = exchange rate + 50%.

FWIW I think you should buy the best you afford - when you're a beginner and
it's cold and rotten weather you'll thank me for this advice. But if it's a
glorious day in April you almost get away with a bikini and t-shirt.

I agree with John: get the very, very best mittens you can - better than
gloves and much warmer when it's cold. Snowboarders have some very fine
stuff.

Good clothes will last a long time.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old October 9th 04, 11:29 AM
Simon Brown

"John Elgy" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:

It is a bit early in the season for the UK discount ski clothing to
become available. Wait until early December or January before having a
serious look.

Round here - Switzerland - it's January / February and clearance in April.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old October 9th 04, 11:30 AM
Simon Brown

"John Elgy" wrote in message

Except for late season skiing (or Whistler)
the good water proofness of gortex is a waste of money.

I don't agree - when you're learning and falling in snow and it's melting
and you're getting wet and cold good gortex is a blessing.

Maybe I'm a wimp :-)
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old October 9th 04, 12:23 PM
jtr

[...]

Have a look in the Aberdeen TK Maxx. It's all a bit hit and miss in what
they get in (and the good stuff goes quickly) but a couple of weeks ago, the
Bristol branch was selling a "last season's" £500 Killy jacket for £100.
There were another couple of Killys but they only(!) had £300 knocked off
the price.

Joe