Where the hell should I stay in Oslo?

Old September 8th 03, 03:35 AM
sknyski

Default Where the hell should I stay in Oslo?

So I've plunked down my $130 for the Norway Birkie next March. I've
lined up lodging in Lilly-hammer, but I'll have 3 days before to hang
out in Oslo. Anyone know anything about this place? I'd like to be
near a good place to ski (do people ski in Norway?), as well as close
to any tourist traps that I should see (Viking museum, snow factory,
etc.). I know that it's godawful expensive there, so my budget is
about 100-150 greenbacks per night. Any thoughts from my
well-traveled friends at r.s.n.?

bt
Old September 8th 03, 06:56 AM
Terje Mathisen

sknyski wrote:

So I've plunked down my $130 for the Norway Birkie next March. I've
lined up lodging in Lilly-hammer, but I'll have 3 days before to hang
out in Oslo. Anyone know anything about this place? I'd like to be
near a good place to ski (do people ski in Norway?), as well as close
to any tourist traps that I should see (Viking museum, snow factory,

The Viking ships are at Bygdøy, a small peninsula that has the least
snow of any place in Oslo, while the Ski Museum is up at Holmenkollen.

However, the 24-hour passes on the public transportation systems will
get you anywhere quite efficiently, so that's less of a problem.

The best (never mind the costs!) place for a skier is probably the
Holmenkollen Park Hotel, but that's definitely one of the 2-3 most
expensive places to stay in all of Norway, so skip that.

I'd contact my ski association (Skiforeningen, the organizers of all
Holmenkollen events), and ask for suggestions!

http://www.skiforeningen.no/hk/tourist/#english

(There's a mail link at the bottom of the page)

etc.). I know that it's godawful expensive there, so my budget is
about 100-150 greenbacks per night. Any thoughts from my
well-traveled friends at r.s.n.?

If you want to stay in Hell, you have to fly to Trondheim instead of Oslo:

The Trondheim airport (Værnes) is actually located in Hell, there's a
nice postcard available from the local train station, where the
parcel/package ("gods" in norwegian) expedition terminal is shown:

You have a nice smoke-bellowing train in the foreground, The big HELL
sign, and then besides it: "GODS EXPEDITION".

Anyway, back to your question: Lodging only in the $100 to 150 range is
doable, including a _big_ breakfast, but if you want lunch/dinner as
well it is going to be harder.

Terje

--
-

Old September 8th 03, 02:55 PM
David Dermott

As others have said there are very expensive hotels in
the Holmenkollen area.

I've stayed at Haraldsheim Vandrerhjem (hostel) in Grefsen (NE Oslo).
It's not very central but cheap ( 200-300 Kr overnight+breakfast). The
closest skiing is in Lillomarka, about a 20 minute walk. Best way to the
main ski trails was bus #23 to Taasen, then transfer to T-bane to
Sognsvann. If you time it right, you could be at Sognsvann in 20 minutes.
From Sognsvann there are several trails going to Holmenkollen (maybe
10-15 km). Maybe bus #23 continues to make a connection to the
Holmenkollen T-bane. There are several bus/tram lines going from Grefsen
to central station, I don't remember the line numbers.
A bus/tram/T-bane transfer ticket is good for 1 hour. You can get
ticket packages: 24 hour, 1 week, package of 8 tickets etc.

There are also several trains per day stopping at Grefsen station
on the Oslo-Gjøvik line. These trains give access to the trails
in north Nordmarka- Stryken, Grua etc. It is extremely popular on weekends
for people to take this train north and then ski back to the
city.

There are frequent express trains from Gardermoen airport to Oslo
central station. There are also regular trains going directly to
Lillehammer from the airport. There was also a bus company
(Flybuss-ekspress or something like that) going from the airport to
several places in Oslo. Coming back, I caught their bus near Haraldsheim
directly to the airport.

Some info about Oslo skiing at:

"http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/99/ski99-1.html"
--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: