Binding setting..issues..

Old February 11th 04, 02:45 PM
Some Dude

Default Binding setting..issues..

Hi-

I've been riding for about ten years and before that skating for
probably another 7-10 years. I use to ride in skateboarding in diff.
positions depending on what I was doing. Certain tricks i'd angle
both feet at about 30 degrees. Doing ramps or half pipes i'd usually
keep my feet perpendicular to the board.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a new stance on my bindings for my
snowboard. Currently i'm feeling too much pressure on my front
binding (my heel actually feels the pain). I know this is partially
my own fault in technique but I'm also trying to find a good even
position where I can bomb hills and still do terrain and most
importantly backcountry boarding in deep powder. I'm considering
buying more of a freestyle board and just picking a board when going
out ..but the cash is low...

If it matters I ride goofy and have a 162 haulin oats..old
model..maybe 4 years..burton ..something or rather..bindings...

Thanks!

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old February 12th 04, 05:15 AM
tlf

I have been riding regularly for the past 12 years and find that my best
setup is -6 in the rear and 15 up front and my stance is about 21" apart -
of course this is all personal preference. I am a freerider covering mostly
the steeps, trees, bowls, chutes, and as much powder as I can find. On
occasion, between storms, I'll ride the groomers. I leave the park for the
younger generation. If you really are riding in the manner you describe,
then a directional freeride board will treat you much better than a soft
freestyle. It will be stiffer in the tail with a setback stance. These
really hold a strong edge and are much more stable when cruising at high
speeds on the groomers too!! A 4 year old board? Not to worry, mine is 6
years old and still hauls...Don't fall victim to the marketing monsters that
want to make you believe a new board is better, they're really not. Bindings
and boots are different story... Carry a pocket tool and play with your
stance every few runs for a day while you get it dialed in...

Old February 12th 04, 07:24 PM
Rider Josh

I second the 21" wide -6 rear +15 front. That is a good stance for an
average height, average weight adult male rider.

I'm pretty sure the Haulin Oats is a directional freeride, with a
setback stance, a longer radius to the front half of the sidecut than
the rear half, and maybe even a wider shovel than tail.

It might have gotten flexed out in 4 years but sounds like a solid
board for the terrain in question. It might be beneficial to mount
the bindings more tailward for backcountry trips and more towards
center for resort riding.

Also be careful when assuming freestyle boards = soft flex. Especially
the high end park and pipe boards. Modern freestyle happens at pretty
high speeds and on pretty big terrain and freestyle boards have gotten
longer and stiffer accordingly. As a result I have seen some
freestyle boards _stiffer_ than some freeride boards.

Old February 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Some Dude

****.

Thanks!

Thats some truly good advice from both of you. I do agree on dialing
in different stances every few runs but I am impatient! I *do*
need to follow this advice, though and I shall.

right now i'm at about -13 front and about the same for back. I do
like the angles ...This stance i've used from my history of
skateboarding which may or may not be wise....unknown.

I do *not* buy into any of that marketing bull****. My haulin oats is
basically made out of ptex by now from hitting various crap, etc. My
bindings (were) solid and i've had to replace a few straps (Burton CFX
circa 1999)- normal occurrence for me- every couple o years from
cranking down hard on the straps (i like my boots at tight as
possible). These are burton boots bought around the same time 1999.
No idea what they're called but they're monstrously big and supposedly
high-tech (at least then). They work but give me problems on occasion
and i've thought that I need to go for more flexible boots (these
things do *not* flex). They're great for powder and bombing fresh
mountains but do not afford much in the way of doing say, methods or
grabs on a pipe, etc...

I can pretty much pull off lip tricks, airs, etc on big pipes with
this board. Sometimes I feel its a bit heavy or a bit long for it,
but I never really give it much thought (i'm not doing 5' airs or
anything).

I don't know anything about this directional freeride vs. a soft
freestyle..Honestly I don't know anything about board types or
anything- I just ride...probably wouldn't hurt to learn more..eh...I
have 8 months out of the year to board (in VT 15 mins from Killington)
so I have time to contemplate, tweak, etc

Thanks again- great advice..

Old February 24th 04, 06:23 PM
Some Dude

Been a while but I'd like to report back for archivability that I set
my bindings to -6 + 21 as recommended and it was nice and flat and
very very nice. The front was a little too forward so I jacked it to
0 then pushed it 5 degrees until 10 where I hit my sweet spot. So I
locked it in and i'll probably stay at -6 +10 for the rest of my
snowboarding life. Great for bombing hills and at the same time for
hitting terrain parks, rails, whatever

Thanks alot for the info..

Old February 24th 04, 06:23 PM
Some Dude

[...]

Strap binding durability? Paul Snowboarding 9 January 27th 04 10:11 PM
can only ride with my back binding loose - why? Dmitry Snowboarding 8 December 12th 03 01:25 AM
Boot and Binding Sizing - Please Help! Marty Snowboarding 13 November 28th 03 10:29 PM
Binding screw glue Bill General 0 November 17th 03 09:10 PM
M/L Binding? Is there a huge difference? John Snowboarding 7 October 27th 03 06:04 PM