Demoing for the Beginner skater.

Old November 28th 05, 04:43 PM

Default Demoing for the Beginner skater.

After several days on my friend's 15-20 year old skis and boots I've
decided I like skating enough to purchase new. I live in a small town
and the only place that has equipment to rent is an alpine-focused shop
with 1 pair of 'token' skate skis/boots: Rossignol Max Skis and Rossi.
X-6 Combi Boots. The fit of the boots in the shop was spot on, and they
are much stiffer than the boots I'm trying now. I've ice speed skated
alot in my youth, and some of that muscle memory is coming back to me,
in spite of being 50! I also race road bikes, allbeit at a mediocre
level. So I have at least some fitness to draw upon.

What are the things to look for when I try this stuff out? When on
snow, are there ways to determine if the ski is the proper length/flex
for me? Or if the boots are 'stiff enough' ? I'd ideally like
equipment that will work for several seasons, and don't want to grow it
anytime soon. At the same time, I wouldn't want something that is over
my head, making it really hard to learn. Or is that possible?

I live in North Central Oregon and probably will ski about 40 or so
days a year, weather gods providing!

Thanks very much,
Marty

Old November 28th 05, 05:54 PM

I've helped 20-30 new skiers each year to buy equipment as part of the
Ski Club I run (www.rideandglide.bizland.com) By saying that you are
likely to ski 40 days I would say that we need to fit you with "good
stuff", not just entry level.

Boots: The most important part of the package. They have to fit and
be comfortable. If you are concerned about price the Rossignol Max
skate boots is an incredible buy (around $160). For learning I find a
stiff boot to really help. These boots have a very solid heel and
ankle suppport, which helps with beginners. Avoid combi boots. They
don't work that well for skating. They're fine for classic. The other
option is the Solomon Skate 9 ($225), better, a bit stiffer, uses the
Pilot Binding (Which I find helps beginners more than experienced
skaters). Pick the one that fits the best and get the correct binding
for the boot you choose.

Skis: I have found that Atomic really has their act together when it
comes to entry to mid level skis. They've got more competition at the
high level, but there low level stuff works well, is light, durable and
inexpensive. That being said I'd suggest you look at the RS9 as you
first ski. (if you really plan on skiing 40 days or racing, you're
probably going to need rock skis someday, so start with the RS9 and
they can become your rock skis when you upgrade) The Rossignol Max is a
good option as well, but a bit heavier.

Poles: Spend enough on poles to get a "Glove Style" strap. That means
at least $60-70. You can buy them mail order as they don't need to be
fit, you can get the correct lenght by looking at charts. Skis need
professional fitting and boots need to be tried on. I'm putting a lot
of my members on Rex poles from Finn Sisu in St. Paul Mn. They're a
good bargin and I think they can be mail ordered.

Then you're going to need wax, brushes, a bench, an iron, etc See the
web site I indicated above for info on waxing and what to buy

Hope this helps

Old November 28th 05, 06:27 PM

It sounds like you are not too far from Bend, where Sunnyside Sports is located -- http://www.sunnysidesports.com/. A good fit and relationship in person is usually worth the extra $$.

Gene

Old November 28th 05, 09:17 PM

Boots are easy. Look for what fits, and leave them on your feet for a
while to make the judgement. Buy the most comfortable pair that fits
tight, but not so tight it cuts off circulation. Ideally it would be
great if the boot feels tight without the laces tied. I would assume
you're going to get orthodics, but try the boots for a while without
them.

Bindings: boots determine bindings.

Skis. Again, find skis that fit. This is very tricky at a demo,
particularly for a newer skier (or even an experienced skier). This is
where a good shop is key and you'll have to rely on their fitting
experience. Big shops may be able to pick good fits in three different
brands. Small shops may not, particularly if you're not normal. Most
name brands have second and third levels skis that are good but a
little heavier (like Shimano or Campy bike parts have good second and
third level parts that are good but a little heavier).

At a demo, reps are grabbing skis that are "close" in fit, but
certainly not a great fit (unless you're lucky). Many skiers go by the
feel of the skis, ie. does it glide well, but it's easy for the rep to
slightly miss the wax, or for one rep to use a low flouro and the other
rep to use a non-flouro. The wax can make a significant difference in
feel.

I think most people trying skis at demo's are comparing the various
skis to their own skis, and getting a general personality. E.g. the new
Salomon has a long camber feel similar to the older (and maybe newer)
Rossi's. I haven't skied on Rossi's in a couple years. Atomic and
Fischer are similar in feel to each other.

Jay Wenner

Old November 28th 05, 10:02 PM

Finn Sisu's web page is; www.finnsisu.com.

Yeah, you can order Rex poles online through them and they are a good
value. As for being a beginning skier, buy the boots first and make
sure that they fit. After that, get the corresponding binding system
for the boot. It will be NNN or Salomon. As long as you get skis that
fit properly for your weight, any of the major brands are fine. I'm
talking Fischer, Salomon, Atomic, Rossignol and Madshus.

J Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
p.s. 172 lbs on Friday, 169 1/2 after skiing 8 hours 15 minutes over
the weekend... Target - 162...