Duchess of Idaho

Old July 2nd 16, 12:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Duchess of Idaho

Saw that movie on TCM yesterday. MGM 1950, Esther Williams, Van Johnson.

Nice shots of the single chair at Sun Valley, and 50's equipment and clothing styles. Not bad ski technique, either. I wonder if they used stunt doubles.
Old July 3rd 16, 10:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 07/03/2016 12:22 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 10:12:20 PM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/01/2016 05:38 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Saw that movie on TCM yesterday. MGM 1950, Esther Williams, Van
Johnson.

Nice shots of the single chair at Sun Valley, and 50's equipment
and clothing styles. Not bad ski technique, either. I wonder if
they used stunt doubles.

IMDB was not helpful. Given that EW was an actual athlete, it's
not out of the question that she did her own stunts. I always
liked her because she had big shoulders like me. VJ was always a
sneak or a wuss.

Sonja Henie was a real athlete also, but Gretchen Fraser doubled the
ski scenes for her in Sun Valley Serenade.

Insurance reasons, probably.

EW's skiing scenes were typically Hollywood setups. The scenes of
good skiing were at a distance so that it was no possible to identify
th e skier, then she "fell" - switch to a closeup of Esther Williams
in a heap in the snow.

I disliked Van Johnson for a nonsense reason - What kind of a name is
Van?

There are worse things to be named after than a tennis shoe. He's still
a wuss.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The way England treats her prisoners, she doesn't

Tamarack near McCall, Idaho rvfulltime North American Ski Resorts 5 November 9th 06 03:54 PM
Tamarack near McCall, Idaho rvfulltime Alpine Skiing 5 November 9th 06 03:54 PM
Skiing near Boise Idaho? GT North American Ski Resorts 4 January 13th 06 03:42 PM
Where to go in Idaho Ace Snowboarding 3 November 22nd 04 06:41 PM
Brundage Mountain, Idaho foot2foot Alpine Skiing 0 January 13th 04 07:55 PM