Checkerplay - safe or bold?

Old November 5th 10, 02:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Checkerplay - safe or bold?

On Nov 5, 6:42*am, Walt wrote:
On 11/5/2010 5:07 AM, BrritSki wrote:

On 04/11/2010 19:16, Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 4, 9:25 am, *wrote:
But, then again, I have never played for money.

A friend and I played a lot for a couple of years for a penny a point
and I nearly always won over the course of a couple of hours. We stopped
playing after he threw the board up in the air and scattered pieces all
over the pub after another loss

I don't play for money either. *Match play is much more complicated and
interesting.

I noticed a lot of unfamiliar terms in messages at rgb. Is there a
newbie dictionary somewhere?
Old November 5th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/5/2010 10:14 AM, BrritSki wrote:

I don't know how match play works, but backgammon without the doubling
cube and a small stake is boring, as I know when I play waife or kids...

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

//Walt
Old November 5th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:
On 11/5/2010 10:14 AM, BrritSki wrote:

I don't know how match play works, but backgammon without the doubling
cube and a small stake is boring, as I know when I play waife or kids...

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Old November 5th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 11/5/2010 2:06 PM, BrritSki wrote:
On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Not if you're playing smart. If you're playing smart you play to
maximize your equity in the current game, which is completely
independent of what might have happened in previous games.

Trying to make up for previous losses by being more aggressive is a
classic gambler's error. The poker players call it "going on tilt".

//Walt
Old November 5th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:
See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Not if you're playing smart. If you're playing smart you play to
maximize your equity in the current game, which is completely
independent of what might have happened in previous games.

Trying to make up for previous losses by being more aggressive is a
classic gambler's error. *The poker players call it "going on tilt".

//Walt

Amazing. What a dweeb fest, and of course, absolutely no reference to
skiing. Since you treat rsa as a private newsgroup and threaten
anyone who refuses to play your sick games, how about moving this
bull**** to rsa.terrorist, where it is welcome?
Oh, yeah. Forgot. Your REAL private, censored newsgroup is a
complete failure.
Old November 5th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Not if you're playing smart. If you're playing smart you play to
maximize your equity in the current game, which is completely
independent of what might have happened in previous games.

Trying to make up for previous losses by being more aggressive is a
classic gambler's error. The poker players call it "going on tilt".

In investerese: "Catch a falling knife."

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old November 6th 10, 06:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Not if you're playing smart. If you're playing smart you play to
maximize your equity in the current game, which is completely
independent of what might have happened in previous games.

Trying to make up for previous losses by being more aggressive is a
classic gambler's error. The poker players call it "going on tilt".

Yes I see what you mean, I was thinking of the opposite situation of
being a bit more adventurous when you were well ahead.

Old November 8th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:

See
http://www.bkgm.com/faq/Matches.html#introduction

In match play, the cube handling and the checker play decisions are
often dependent on the match score, so the games can take a very
different trajectory over the course of a match.

Isn't the same true in a money match where your approach varies
according to whether you are winning and losing overall

Not if you're playing smart. If you're playing smart you play to
maximize your equity in the current game, which is completely
independent of what might have happened in previous games.

Trying to make up for previous losses by being more aggressive is a
classic gambler's error. The poker players call it "going on tilt".

Yes I see what you mean, I was thinking of the opposite situation of
being a bit more adventurous when you were well ahead.

The best play is still the best play whether you're ahead or behind. Of
course, if you're ahead and playing with "house money" the consequences
of sub-optimal play are not as unpleasant.

The situation where previous results *does* come into play is when you
can anticipate your opponent's erroneous plays. For instance if he
consistently drops cubes that are takes, or if he will take cube offers
that are huge passes one can adjust one's cubing strategy to take
advantage of his weakness. Or if there are some classes of positions
where you know he will misplay (e.g. back games) you might want to steer
the game in that direction.

But my approach is to play the board, not the player. A good hustler
knows how to play both.

//Walt
Old November 8th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On 05/11/2010 15:50, Walt wrote:

[...]

If your opponent drops cubes that are alwys takes, how can you
adjust? Not take?