SNS vs. NNN

Old January 20th 05, 03:48 PM
Bob L

Since no one else has asked ....

Any thoughts on the newest newer new NNN, ie NIS?
It appears to be very compatible with NNN3, but the binding is
"integrated" with the ski. The position of the binding along
the ski is adjustable. Is that a useful feature? A gimmick?
Do a google on "NIS Nordic Integrated" for details.

Old January 21st 05, 04:05 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, SkiFit wrote:

The original NNN system rembled NNN2 where the binding meets the boot,
but did not have the grove binding/boot interface. With the grooves,
there is now greater connection between binding and ski, which allows
for greater control and energy transfer. NNN and NN2 systems NNN-BC
(backcountry) resembles the old system, but is both wider and
presumbably heavier duty for true back country skiing. However, I
think most backcountry/telemark skiers continue to use three-pin. I
ski on skinny skis, so I'm not sure about advantages there. Each of
these systems is distinct and cannot be used with the other, and I
doubt you coud buy NNN now, it has gone the way of the Super Eight
camera.

Part of this is mistaken. NNN and NNN2 both have the same grooves
in the front of the boot. NNN2 extended the grooves the full length
but they are unchanged in the front. The differences were so minor
that all that was necessary to put an NNN2 boot into an NNN binding
was a modified flexor. These were available for sale for a while
during the changeover period. I still have NNN bindings with the
modified flexors on some of my rollerskis because there's just no
compelling reason to replace them.

-Mitch

Old January 21st 05, 04:32 AM
Camilo

"Mitch Collinsworth" wrote

Part of this is mistaken. NNN and NNN2 both have the same grooves
in the front of the boot. NNN2 extended the grooves the full length
but they are unchanged in the front. The differences were so minor
that all that was necessary to put an NNN2 boot into an NNN binding
was a modified flexor. These were available for sale for a while
during the changeover period. I still have NNN bindings with the
modified flexors on some of my rollerskis because there's just no
compelling reason to replace them.

-Mitch

And, if you ever need them, NNN (I) bindings and parts are always available
at places that sell used ski gear like Play it Again.

Cam

Old January 21st 05, 01:36 PM
Terje Henriksen

"Camilo" skrev i melding

"Mitch Collinsworth" wrote

Part of this is mistaken. NNN and NNN2 both have the same grooves
in the front of the boot. NNN2 extended the grooves the full length
but they are unchanged in the front. The differences were so minor
that all that was necessary to put an NNN2 boot into an NNN binding
was a modified flexor. These were available for sale for a while
during the changeover period. I still have NNN bindings with the
modified flexors on some of my rollerskis because there's just no
compelling reason to replace them.

-Mitch

And, if you ever need them, NNN (I) bindings and parts are always

available
at places that sell used ski gear like Play it Again.

Late last season and this year I have used my old NNN boots from the -80's
with my new NNN bindings with success.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old January 21st 05, 01:40 PM
David Dermott

On 20 Jan 2005, wintermutt wrote:

what is the difference between NNN and NNN2 and NNNbc?
and also will NNN2 bindings work with NNN boots and also the other way
around?

So "flexor" is the name of the rubber thingy in front of the boot
toe.
As Mitch says at one time you could buy flexors to convert NNN-1
bindings so they would work with NNN-2 boots. One can also carve up the
original NNN-1 flexor so that it fits.

Going the other way (NNN-1 boots in NNN-2 bindings) is a little more
tricky- the original flexor isn't long enough to touch the boot toe. I
think they also sold a special flexor for that.

The NNN-1 system only lasted for a few years, as did the original
Salomon D-ring binding. I had both. I was really annoying to change
boots and bindings every few years.

There is no easy way to make NNN-BC compatible with NNN-2, the sizing
of the groves and toe bar is different.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old January 24th 05, 12:33 AM
diane

I'm new so I wouldn't notice the difference, but I just bought new NNN-BC
bindings and Alpina boots on EBay. I like them so far on my Fisher metal
edged back country skis. It was well noted that the bindings and boots had
to be BC.

I have a second set of skis that were part of a older "racing package" I
didn't know any better when I bought these. 50m 3 pin bindings and a shoe
style boot that came apart on the 4th day, we just put 75 m bindings on this
pair. the skis are 1/4 inch narrower but I think will be fine till we get
more experience.

BTW backcountry.com was a good site to shop at. free shipping, and I would
have saved $10 on the 3 pin bindings if I had known of the site at the time.

--
Diane in NH