Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

Old January 22nd 05, 11:35 AM
John Ricketts

Default Chamonix...making the most of a bonus day

I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9 or
10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in particular!!)
can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

Last year, I managed to grab a 1/2 day on arrival but it was a case of
getting changed in a public toilet.....less than ideal. Hence we didn't
bother with the thermals and hit the top of Le Tour in a blizzard!
(Bbbbrrrrrrrr.....can still feel it)!

Old January 22nd 05, 12:48 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd John Ricketts :
I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9 or
10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in particular!!)
can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

I'd spend the time getting some sleep in, if I'd been driving overnight.
We're quite used to sleeping in the car, though.

Unless your holiday is short, you'll probably make up for the lost hours of
skiing on the Saturday later on; you'll have more energy. If you start tired,
you may not recover.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
John Ricketts

Hi Adrian,

Trouble is, whilst I may feel a bit jaded after the trip, the rest of the
family will be raring to go after a nights kip in the car! I've done
over-nights before (but not skiing) and you get a second wind once you
arrive! (but are totally knackered by the evening!)

I tend to be a dawn-till-dusk skier where every second counts and I reckon
it's worth making the most of the quieter slopes on a change-over day. Last
feb (admittedly a week before 1/2 term) parts of Flegere were almost
deserted on the saturday afternoon!

Old January 22nd 05, 02:57 PM
John Owens

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm driving overnight to Chamonix this year (flew last time but too
expensive with family in tow). The thing is, we are likely to arrive at 9

or
10am on the saturday morning and can't get the apartment till 5pm. I don't
seem to recall any of the lift stations having changing
rooms/lockers.....anyone any suggestions where (the ladies in

particular!!)
can freshen up and get changed for the slopes?

I seem to recall that Chamonix has a public swimming pool. Quite a nice
place if my memory is working properly.

Good luck. The thought of near-empty slopes on a Saturday is attractive.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old January 22nd 05, 03:32 PM
John Ricketts

snip

I seem to recall that Chamonix has a public swimming pool. Quite a nice
place if my memory is working properly.

Hmmm....there's a thought...

Old January 22nd 05, 04:50 PM
Richard Crapp

In article , John
Ricketts writes
Hi Adrian,

Trouble is, whilst I may feel a bit jaded after the trip, the rest of the
family will be raring to go after a nights kip in the car! I've done
over-nights before (but not skiing) and you get a second wind once you
arrive! (but are totally knackered by the evening!)

Exactly my problem next Saturday when we arive in Val de Isere 11-12 am.
We are going to change in the Underground Car Park. Trying to organize
main ski clothes in to a separate small bag for a quick change.
Saturday is always a good day on the slopes and I wont be able to
weight till Sunday.
Anyone know, Can we get a half day Ski pass, what time doze it start?
--
Richard Crapp
Old January 22nd 05, 09:03 PM
Sammy

I'm confused. Are you asking where to put your ski-kit on? What's
wrong with the carpark?

Sammy

Old January 23rd 05, 08:05 AM
WeatherCam

"Sammy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm confused. Are you asking where to put your ski-kit on? What's
wrong with the carpark?

Sammy

Just identify a "nice" private family run Hotel ( eg Hotel Slalom - Les
Houches) , there''s loads of them in and around Chamonix, - explain your
situtaion, have a breakfast there, book for lunch etc and I'm sure they will
let you stow your gear - commn sense would have thought!!

Regards
WC

Old January 23rd 05, 01:00 PM
John Ricketts

You not married then ? ;-)

ups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 08:54 PM
Sammy

John Ricketts wrote:
You not married then ? ;-)

OK, to be civilised: the sports centre/swiming pool is a good
suggestion, with lockers and showers, but I'm not sure it is open at
10am (more likely at midday).

I would suggest not rushing your family on to the slopes after a long
drive; take a leisurely breakfast en-route (at a nice hotel as already
suggested) and feign complete disinterest in skiing at all that day
yourself. Sooner or later someone in your family will suggest that
everyone kits up / freshens up - then it's just a matter of driving to
said carpark as if you were on a day trip. Make it seem like they are
dragging you onto the piste.

You do see a lot of day-trippers in disarray at the Grands Montets
carpark hopping into long-johns and salopettes, and noone else is
remotely interested. At Brevent there is a covered carpark. Have you
checked if there is any communal area to change in where you've booked?
Sammy