Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

Old February 25th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_2_]

Default Paging Ace - you are now permitted to smile

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:50:23 -0000, in
, "Mike"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
should definitely consider flying into Basel or Zurich and perhaps
sking some of the smaller, or at least less-known, Swiss resorts, e.g.
(copied from a post by 'Johannes' from several years ago)

snip

Ace, thanks for posting this list - I've been thinking of doing a multi
resort 2 weeker when our kids don't want to ski with us and don't have to go
at school hols - we been to a few of them, but the smaller resorts look
worth checking out. Presumably possible to turn up (we'd drive from UK) and
book a few days or even book ahead if well organised (+ outside main busy
times)?

In my experience, yes. But clearly if you're insistent on 4*
accomodation or will only stay on the centre of a ski village you may
find it more difficult :-)

Perhaps should start a new thread - any similar list for Austria?

Not from me, but I'd be interested if someone else would like to put
one together.

Basically picturesque resorts, with enough skiing for a day or two, then
move on... Mike

Yupp. Or, from my perspective, perfect places to drive to for the
weekend.

Old February 26th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Pete Fisher

In communiqué 1icvsof.1j3iwu81ownitcN%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo. co.uk,
The Older Gentleman cast forth these
pearls of wisdom

The skis themselves were only about 7 years old, but not carvers and
195mm long. The Atomics (about 178mm, IIRC) were interesting in that I
could do much, much tighter turns with them, easier. Nice.

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Looks like us having a trip to foreign parts next year.

| Pete Fisher at Home: |
| Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest * 2 Yamaha WR250Z |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 Morini 350 "Forgotten Error" |
Old February 26th 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
BrritSki

Pete Fisher wrote:
In communiqué 1icvsof.1j3iwu81ownitcN%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo. co.uk,
The Older Gentleman cast forth these
pearls of wisdom

The skis themselves were only about 7 years old, but not carvers and
195mm long. The Atomics (about 178mm, IIRC) were interesting in that I
could do much, much tighter turns with them, easier. Nice.

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Take some lessons when you switch too. I was lucky enough a few years
ago to take a long weekend in 1850 with son and a guy I met thru usenet
who was an instructor and fantastic skier.
On the drive down I told him that I was always ready to hear advice on
my skiing. Half way throu the first morning he asked if I was serious
about learning, and when I confirmed told me how I was not using the
modern skis I was on properly.
In 3 days he completely deconstructed and reconstructed our skiing
technique and it really paid off. I especially noticed it on a curve in
a track where i went off the edge in the fog. Because I had both skis
weighted and apart and was centred fore-aft as well, I landed it and
continued the curve, just tightening it to rejoin the track. Before, it
would have been a major wipeout.
Old February 26th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:07:28 +0000, in
, Pete Fisher
wrote:

In communiqué 1icvsof.1j3iwu81ownitcN%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo. co.uk,
The Older Gentleman cast forth these
pearls of wisdom

The skis themselves were only about 7 years old, but not carvers and
195mm long. The Atomics (about 178mm, IIRC) were interesting in that I
could do much, much tighter turns with them, easier. Nice.

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

Old February 26th 08, 10:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
MoonMan

wrote:

In communiqué
1icvsof.1j3iwu81ownitcN%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo. co.uk, The Older
Gentleman cast forth these pearls
of wisdom

The skis themselves were only about 7 years old, but not carvers and
195mm long. The Atomics (about 178mm, IIRC) were interesting in
that I could do much, much tighter turns with them, easier. Nice.

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at
half term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year
old Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they
were hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

This theory has always intrigued me too, especially as FIS repeatedly make
race ski minimum lengths longer and longer in an attempt to slow competitors
down for their safety.

--

Chris *:-)

Old February 26th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Charlie[_2_]

wrote:

In communiqué 1icvsof.1j3iwu81ownitcN%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo. co.uk,
The Older Gentleman cast forth these
pearls of wisdom

The skis themselves were only about 7 years old, but not carvers and
195mm long. The Atomics (about 178mm, IIRC) were interesting in that I
could do much, much tighter turns with them, easier. Nice.

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

Perhaps TOG reckons it's analogous to yachts; the longer the waterline ...

Old February 26th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:10:56 -0000, in
, "Charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

Perhaps TOG reckons it's analogous to yachts; the longer the waterline ...

It wasn't TOG I was asking.

Old February 26th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Feb 26, 1:32*pm, Ace wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:10:56 -0000, in
, "Charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

Perhaps TOG reckons it's analogous to yachts; the longer the waterline ....

It wasn't TOG I was asking.

It's a purely empirical observation of straight line veloicity. They
are not only long, but very narrow and 'unwaisted' by modern
standards. Perhaps that's the answer. Also, I used to have them
serviced before each trip. Are hire skis always as 'slippy' as they
could be?

Even more likely, perhaps more stable in a straight line thus
encouraging higher speed? Or to get right down to it - I was faster
when I used to ski regularly on them.

Do they use "carvers" for straight line speed records?

PF
Old February 26th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Charlie[_2_]

"Ace" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:10:56 -0000, in
, "Charlie"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I must admit that my outings at Tamworth and MK on modern kit, at half
term, made me realise that it is time to ditch the twenty year old
Nordica boots and 185 Dynastars. The last time I used them they were
hard work, but, it has to be said, exhilaratingly fast.

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

Perhaps TOG reckons it's analogous to yachts; the longer the waterline ...

It wasn't TOG I was asking.

Ooops.

slaps own wrists, to save anyone else the bother

Well, the principle remains the same, whoever asked ....

Old February 26th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:35:05 -0000, in
, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Ace wrote:

Why would you think that the older, longer skis would be 'faster' than
newer ones?

This theory has always intrigued me too, especially as FIS repeatedly make
race ski minimum lengths longer and longer in an attempt to slow competitors
down for their safety.

To be fair, that's only true for Slalom races, where the shorter skis
allow much quicker turns, but at the expense of stability and control.

--
_______
..'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)

Laub (was Paging SteveH) Ace[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 February 6th 08 06:32 PM
paging UK Boarders: newbie question for the locals [email protected] Snowboarding 19 June 6th 06 12:20 PM
Paging the cowardly catamite! Eviel Dewar Alpine Skiing 8 November 19th 04 07:26 PM
Paging our Shaun taywood Nordic Skiing 1 October 25th 04 02:32 PM
Paging Mr Brown Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 10 December 17th 03 07:20 AM