Diesels and Alpine temperatures

Old February 26th 06, 04:16 PM

Default Diesels and Alpine temperatures

I've just brought forward the purchase of a new(er) car and it's a
diesel, which I'll be driving to the Alps in mid March. Now, I'm very
familiar with petrol engines, but have little hands-on experience with
diesels.

I've heard that they do low temperature diesel fuel nearer the Alps,
is this true? How is it identified, or is it sold as standard? I'll be
travelling exclusively in France. Unless I get *very* lost, of course.

I've heard of a trick that involves puttig 5L of petrol into the fuel
tank to keep the diesel flowing: anyone heard of this, tried this, or
blown up their car by doing this?

TIA.
--
-Pip
Old February 26th 06, 04:34 PM

Pip Luscher wrote:
I've just brought forward the purchase of a new(er) car and it's a
diesel, which I'll be driving to the Alps in mid March. Now, I'm very
familiar with petrol engines, but have little hands-on experience with
diesels.

I've heard that they do low temperature diesel fuel nearer the Alps,
is this true? How is it identified, or is it sold as standard? I'll be
travelling exclusively in France. Unless I get *very* lost, of course.

I've heard of a trick that involves puttig 5L of petrol into the fuel
tank to keep the diesel flowing: anyone heard of this, tried this, or
blown up their car by doing this?

TIA.

If it's a modern diesel, sticking petrol in the tank will reduce the
lubrication effect of the diesel - this can destroy the fuel pump bearings.

Old February 26th 06, 06:13 PM

Pip Luscher wrote:

I've just brought forward the purchase of a new(er) car and it's a
diesel, which I'll be driving to the Alps in mid March. Now, I'm very
familiar with petrol engines, but have little hands-on experience with
diesels.

I've heard that they do low temperature diesel fuel nearer the Alps,
is this true? How is it identified, or is it sold as standard? I'll be
travelling exclusively in France. Unless I get *very* lost, of course.

Winter diesel is indeed sold in continental filling stations and
advertised as such. but as normal diesel is OK down to below -15 C, I
wouldn't worry.

It'll **** the fuel pump.

--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F CD250 x2
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old February 26th 06, 06:39 PM

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:16:47 GMT, Pip Luscher
wrote:

I've just brought forward the purchase of a new(er) car and it's a
diesel, which I'll be driving to the Alps in mid March. Now, I'm very
familiar with petrol engines, but have little hands-on experience with
diesels.

I've heard that they do low temperature diesel fuel nearer the Alps,
is this true? How is it identified, or is it sold as standard? I'll be
travelling exclusively in France. Unless I get *very* lost, of course.

The standard diesel sold in any area should cope with the normal
temperatures to be expected in that area.

Even the standard diesel sold in the UK should cope down to at least
-10C, what you will get as standard in alpine regions will cope down
to significantly lower temperatures again.

I've heard of a trick that involves puttig 5L of petrol into the fuel
tank to keep the diesel flowing: anyone heard of this, tried this, or
blown up their car by doing this?

You will probably wreck the engine, although it *might* survive it
once.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
MS Windows -- From the people who brought you EDLIN!
Old February 26th 06, 07:15 PM

wrote:

[...]

I lived south of Munich for many years. For at least five years I had a VW
Sharan 1.9TDI. Never had any problems - even when temperatures were down
to -20.

Paul

Old February 26th 06, 07:49 PM

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:13:36 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

It'll **** the fuel pump.

Well, we're talking five litres in over fifty for a few hundred miles,
but yes, it was my main worry.

--
-Pip
Old February 26th 06, 07:58 PM

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:15:41 -0000, "PSmith"
wrote:

I lived south of Munich for many years. For at least five years I had a VW
Sharan 1.9TDI. Never had any problems - even when temperatures were down
to -20.

Good, the consensus seems to be "don't worry about it", and don't mess
with the fuel, the latter of which which agrees with my instincts.

Excellent.

--
-Pip
Old February 26th 06, 08:24 PM

Good, the consensus seems to be "don't worry about it", and don't mess
with the fuel, the latter of which which agrees with my instincts.

I hope I do not repeat too much that has been already said.

1.) In Germany (and probably in Austria and Switzerland) diesel fuel can
cope with -22°C. That should do - mostly. If it becomes still colder, you
can add a few litres of normal petrol (no premium, please). This does not
harm the motor, unless you treat it too brutally. If in doubt, read the
manual.

Most modern Diesel cars have an additional heater for the fuel filter. So if
the motor starts and has been running for some minutes the diesel in the
filter probably will not freeze.

I am a Diesel driver since 1986 and got stuck only once with frozen fuel -
many years ago.

HTH
Turan