hot boxing new skis

Old January 29th 05, 02:47 AM
Todd

Default hot boxing new skis

Will hot boxing a new pair of skis with warm wax take the place of
multiple waxings scrapings and brushings?

Old January 29th 05, 12:55 PM
Ty in Burlington

My take on it is that more heat = better wax penetration, but that the
value in the multiple times is really more in smoothing out the base,
cutting the little Ptex hairs. So, yes, it's good to get the wax in,
but doesn't replace multiple waxings. Then again, if you're not trying
to race, is it that important?

I think the biggest thing is, like medicine, "do no harm". Make sure
the base is covered with wax after skiing so as to prevent oxidation of
the base, make sure that the base is repaired, make sure you brush when
prepping skis...you'll be fine except for that big race, when you want
to put in more trouble.

For what it's worth, I now put my skis down by the boiler, where it's
always the warmest in the house, prior and post waxing. Make a
difference? Don't know, but it's easy.

Old January 30th 05, 07:05 PM

Check out www.engineeredtuning.com and www.ultratune.net. Read their
notes on hot boxing. If you put your skis in the hot box like I do at
NO MORE THAN 150F for 2 hours it's like waxing 30 times. The scraping
of hairs off the base with repeated iron waxings is a moot point if you
have really good stone grind. If you made your wax box like me, one big
advantage is the more you can keep a iron away from your bases the
better. Finally, when you get into green and blue waxes they don't have
to be molten while in the box. The wax should be more like icing on a
cake. The base is still drinking the wax in this state.

Old January 30th 05, 07:41 PM
Cloutier Jim

--0-228374724-1107117426=:25926

Anyone have good plans for how to make one of these hot boxes? If logical, I would entertain building one.

Todd wrote:
Will hot boxing a new pair of skis with warm wax take the place of
multiple waxings scrapings and brushings?

Cloutier Concept & Design
13629 46th Street NE
St. Michael, MN 55376
(c) 612.386.3346
www.cc-d.com

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-228374724-1107117426=:25926

DIVAnyone have good plans for how to make one of these hot boxes?  If logical, I would entertain building /I/B wrote:
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Check out www.engineeredtuning.com and www.ultratune.net. Read theirBRnotes on hot boxing. If you put your skis in the hot box like I do atBRNO MORE THAN 150F for 2 hours it's like waxing 30 times. The scrapingBRof hairs off the base with repeated iron waxings is a moot point if youBRhave really good stone grind. If you made your wax box like me, one bigBRadvantage is the more you can keep a iron away from your bases theBRbetter. Finally, when you get into green and blue waxes they don't haveBRto be molten while in the box. The wax should be more like icing on aBRcake. The base is still drinking the wax in this state.BRTodd wrote:BR> Will hot boxing a new pair of skis with warm wax take the place ofBR> multiple waxings scrapings and brushings?BRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTE/DIVBRBRPFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT
color=#800000STRONGCloutier Concept & DesignBR13629 46th Street NEBRSt. Michael, MN  55376/STRONG/FONT/FONT/FONTFONT face=arialFONT size=1FONT color=#800000STRONGBR(c) 612.386.3346BR/STRONGA href="http://www.cc-d.com/" target=_blankSTRONGFONT color=#003399www.cc-d.com/FONT/STRONG/A/FONT/FONT/FONT/P
PFONT face=arialFONT size=1STRONGFONT color=#800000"If a man does his best, what else is there?"/FONT/STRONG BR- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)/FONT/FONT/Pp_____________________________________________ _____brDo You Yahoo!?brTired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around brhttp://mail.yahoo.com
--0-228374724-1107117426=:25926--

Old January 31st 05, 05:24 PM
Camilo

"Cloutier Jim" wrote in message
o.com...
--0-228374724-1107117426=:25926

Anyone have good plans for how to make one of these hot boxes? If

logical, I would entertain building one.

Do a web search for hot box - I did a couple of months ago and found a
couple of different plans. Essentially a hot box is a coffin-sized box with
a simple rack to hold skis (cross bar structure) and a way to heat the box
appropriately, generally with incandescent lights. The trick is to get the
heat nice and even, at the correct level either through monitoring or with a
thermostat. Some have air circulation via a fan as well. I came away with
the thought that it would be within my personal (and rudimentary! ) skills
to build a functional hot box.

But then I thought, where the hell am I going to put a coffin sized box.
You really can't go smaller than that - the length is determined by the
skis, so that's going to be at least 210 cm if not longer - it's going to at
least be close to 7 feet including the dimensions of the materials. The
width might could be smaller than a coffin - but give the need for a heat
source and clearance, you'd probably end up with it wide enough to lay out 4
skis across, I'd say - minimum of 2 feet (60 cm). The height/depth of the
box needs to be fairly large because you need to put in a heat source along
the entire length so the heat will be even and the heat source needs good
clearance from the bottom as well as the skis above. The height, again, is
going to be at least 60 cm/ 2 feet, maybe even more.

My local ski shop will do hotboxing for $10 if I provide the wax. So I
decided that's the way I'll go instead of building and storing a warm
coffin.

Cam

Old January 31st 05, 06:26 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Camilo wrote:

Do a web search for hot box - I did a couple of months ago and found a
couple of different plans. Essentially a hot box is a coffin-sized box with...

But then I thought, where the hell am I going to put a coffin sized box.

Somewhere [Nat Brown's newsletter maybe?] I saw a write-up from someone
who build a collapsable hotbox.

-Mitch