My Ski Experience

Old February 15th 04, 12:36 AM
Mike

Default My Ski Experience

Ok, so I went skiing today. I went to Hidden Valley.
Got there around 8:30, got my tickets (beginner package) by 8:40.
But didnt get my boots and skis until 9:15.

Anyway, my gf and I went to the errr "T-Handle" thing.
I just pushed off, seemed like it went ok.
Then at 9:40, my gf got the "bright" idea to bring up "chicken run" we
went up.
The ski lift went HIGH!!
Anyway, that thing is STEEP!!

A quarter of the way down we got in an arguement, I think she should
have made sure I was more prepared. She kept trying to teach me the
wedge, but I couldnt get it right.
Anyway, I didnt get down to the bottom until 10:15...took my 30
minutes!

Anyway, I sat out, while she did the run a few more times, then she
did a few blues.
I did the 12pm group lesson.

It went ok, he didnt teach us the 'wedge', just turning.

Anyway, we took a lunch.
So finally at 3 I did some turns for like 15 minutes, then went up the
chicken run.
1st time (since the morning) fell a few times.
2nd thing was better.
I ended up doing it like 5 times.
I noticed a few things:

1. I am treating it like rollerblades...when I turn, Im almost doing a
"hockey stop" in rollerblades.
My gf said my turns were "too sharp" she said experienced skiers go
down more vertically instead of sharp turns like me.
2. errrr yeah, I just kept doing that...Im not even sure how Im
slowing down, but I did it ok.

I do treat it like rollerblading, I do know Im sometimes pushing off
to the side while skiing (like how you blade)

It was fun, my right hip is bruised from falling on it though.
But when I left I was doing the chicken hill run pretty well.

BUT, I HATE THE LIFT!!
I keep telling the operator "Hold the chair" but he doesnt, so it
slams into me.

Anyway, thats it.
Thanks for all the help everyone
Old February 15th 04, 01:58 AM
Alex Heney

On 14 Feb 2004 16:36:18 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

Anyway, my gf and I went to the errr "T-Handle" thing.
I just pushed off, seemed like it went ok.
Then at 9:40, my gf got the "bright" idea to bring up "chicken run" we
went up.
The ski lift went HIGH!!
Anyway, that thing is STEEP!!

Just wait until you've been a few times. You'll wonder how you ever
thought that was steep :-)

A quarter of the way down we got in an arguement, I think she should
have made sure I was more prepared. She kept trying to teach me the
wedge, but I couldnt get it right.
Anyway, I didnt get down to the bottom until 10:15...took my 30
minutes!

Anyway, I sat out, while she did the run a few more times, then she
did a few blues.
I did the 12pm group lesson.

You'd almost certainly have been better doing the group lesson first.
Boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses/other relatives are not usually the
best people to teach you, *even if* they are qualified instructors.

And if they're not, then they are *definitely* not the best people to
learn from. :-(

1. I am treating it like rollerblades...when I turn, Im almost doing a
"hockey stop" in rollerblades.
My gf said my turns were "too sharp" she said experienced skiers go
down more vertically instead of sharp turns like me.

She's right. But then you aren't an experienced skier, and she should
not be expecting you to ski like one.

when you are still in the early learning process, you will always be
turning more, and going much slower than you will most of the time
later on.

First you have to be comfortable that you can control your speed and
stop, then you will be happy to gain a bit more speed. You'll find
that as you get the confidence to go a little faster, your turns will
become easier.

2. errrr yeah, I just kept doing that...Im not even sure how Im
slowing down, but I did it ok.

You are slowing because you are making those sharp turns. the higher
upwards you end up pointing, the more you will slow, in general.

I do treat it like rollerblading, I do know Im sometimes pushing off
to the side while skiing (like how you blade)

It was fun, my right hip is bruised from falling on it though.
But when I left I was doing the chicken hill run pretty well.

Good. If you enjoyed it, you'll probably be back.

But don't let your GF push you too hard. Go at your own pace, you'll
keep the enjoyment. Let yourself be pushed into runs you aren't ready
for, and you'll lose confidence, and lose enjoyment.

BUT, I HATE THE LIFT!!
I keep telling the operator "Hold the chair" but he doesnt, so it
slams into me.

Try and find chair lifts described as "express" or look for the word
"detachable" in the description. These lifts have a separate, slow
moving cable in the loading/unloading area, then switch onto a high
speed cable for the main lift. This means that they can move much
slower where you get on and off, while still being faster overall.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Lesser artists borrow. Great artists steal.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old February 15th 04, 02:39 AM
The Real Bev

Mike wrote:

Glad you had a good first time. When are you going again?

BUT, I HATE THE LIFT!!
I keep telling the operator "Hold the chair" but he doesnt, so it
slams into me.

Hold your poles in your inside hand. Look over your outside shoulder so
you can grab the outside armrest of the chair with your outside hand.
You will then (a) be able to keep the chair from slamming into your
knees and (b) you will KNOW where the chair is so you won't be
surprised.

Some of the less-well-maintained lifts at a local resort didn't have
enough room beneath the chair in the pickup zone so that the chair could
really jam your lower leg into the ground before it actually takes off.
(Mountain High. Telling three "mountain hosts" and the liftie resulted
in no change at all. Maybe I should have talked to their lawyer or just
grabbed the shovel myself.)

To avoid considerable pain and possible damage, hold your knees together
and quickly move your feet far enough apart to clear the ground as soon
as you sit down.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 15th 04, 02:59 AM
Jiyang Chen

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
She kept trying to teach me the
wedge, but I couldnt get it right.
Anyway, I didnt get down to the bottom until 10:15...took my 30
minutes!

In my opinion, the wedge method is a bad teaching method and results in bad
habits. If you need to go slower, just push your tails out and scrape some
snow (slowing down), which as you have discovered, is like a hockey stop,
most of the weight on the foot closest to the bottom of the slope. When you
want to turn to the other side, IMMEDIATELY change weights from the downhill
boot to the uphill boot and tilt your knee to the center of the turn. W/out
this early weight change, the wedge will appear.

Yes, turning is this simple. I have no idea why people teach the stupid
wedge. If the reason for doing so is slowing down, then why don't they
teach the pushing the tails out part? It is simple and is easier than
thinking to "pivot", which is the same. When you're on the turning leg
(downhill), simply apply pressure with the heel and you slow down.

Old February 15th 04, 03:22 AM
pigo

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Have you ever taught people that have never stood on snow before? Have you
ever disected extreme or racing and seen the wedge magically reappear? The
wedge is a good tool to give people control as they move up. It sounds to me
like he went to terrain that was too tough for a beginner. I take them to a
place that looks flat and only gives them about 20' before they stop
automatically.

pigo

Old February 15th 04, 03:42 AM
The Real Bev

Jiyang Chen wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
She kept trying to teach me the
wedge, but I couldnt get it right.
Anyway, I didnt get down to the bottom until 10:15...took my 30
minutes!

In my opinion, the wedge method is a bad teaching method and results in bad
habits. If you need to go slower, just push your tails out and scrape some
snow (slowing down), which as you have discovered, is like a hockey stop,
most of the weight on the foot closest to the bottom of the slope. When you
want to turn to the other side, IMMEDIATELY change weights from the downhill
boot to the uphill boot and tilt your knee to the center of the turn. W/out
this early weight change, the wedge will appear.

Yes, turning is this simple. I have no idea why people teach the stupid
wedge. If the reason for doing so is slowing down, then why don't they
teach the pushing the tails out part?

My guess would be that it's way easier to use a wedge at ultra-low
speed, when a beginner-level (or maybe even higher) hockey stop just
doesn't work. It also works when you are so exhausted that fine control
is completely gone and the only other stopping option is hitting the fat
lady and hoping you both bounce.

It is simple and is easier than
thinking to "pivot", which is the same. When you're on the turning leg
(downhill), simply apply pressure with the heel and you slow down.

--
Cheers,
Bev
There's something wrong with my keyboard.
Whenever I type x I get x.
Old February 15th 04, 04:31 AM

In article ,
"Jiyang Chen" writes:
In my opinion, the wedge method is a bad teaching method and results in bad
habits.

I won't argue the role of the wedge for a beginner, but for an advanced
skier the wedge has an interesting property: If you get in a wedge stance
and put pressure on one ski you basically have the perfect form and
body alignment for the kind of short radius turn used in the bumps.
It is a great way to build muscle memory in a short time: Face straight
down an easy slope, start alternating weight shifts from one ski to the
next while keeping your upper body facing straight down. Toward the
end of the slope, start doing parallel turns. The only difference is what
do with your inside leg. Everything else is the same.

bruno.
Old February 15th 04, 07:07 AM
Jiyang Chen

(downhill), simply apply pressure with the heel and you slow down.

oops... I meant push your heel out.

Old February 15th 04, 03:53 PM
pigo

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message

(downhill), simply apply pressure with the heel and you slow down.

oops... I meant push your heel out.

Do you mean......to a wedge?

Old February 15th 04, 06:14 PM
Mike

The ski lift went HIGH!!
Anyway, that thing is STEEP!!

Just wait until you've been a few times. You'll wonder how you ever
thought that was steep :-)

I dont know...that beginner hill at Hidden Valley seemed
tough...well there is one stretch that is pretty bad.

My gf said my turns were "too sharp" she said experienced skiers go
down more vertically instead of sharp turns like me.

She's right. But then you aren't an experienced skier, and she should
not be expecting you to ski like one.

I thought that sharp turns were better? Like in hockey, I cant
ice skate well, so my turns are wide, while Pros are turning at like
90 degrees.

You are slowing because you are making those sharp turns. the higher
upwards you end up pointing, the more you will slow, in general.

I noticed that when Im turning, half the time, Im still sliding
down the hill sideways.
But it was fun