Ski touring/backcountry trip in Oregon and Washington State on next May

Old February 3rd 04, 11:26 AM
Franz77

Default Ski touring/backcountry trip in Oregon and Washington State on next May

Hi all mountaineering skiers,
we are two Italian guys and we have planned to visit Cascade Volcanoes
of Washington and Oregon States...
We can spend two weeks there.
We tought about the two weeks at the beginning of May (01-16).
We'll arrive in Seattle and drive till Portland stopping in some
selected sites.
We would to climb Mount saint Helens, Mount Hood, Mount Adams and
Mount Rainier.
We want to know if May is a good period to climb all these peaks.
There will be (thinking about other years) enough snow to reach the
bottom.
Have you ever been on Rainier peak? Is it better to climb it from
Paradise (Camp Muir)or from Emmons?
And do you know good websites to have dayly snowdepths, weather
conditions, avalanche danger forecasting?

Thank you to everyone if you can answer us.
HAve a nice snow season...

Bye bye
Franz & Marantz

PS: this year we have a lot also in the Alps...
;-)
Old February 4th 04, 03:42 PM
sjjohnston

"Franz77" wrote in message
om...
We would to climb Mount saint Helens, Mount Hood, Mount Adams and
Mount Rainier.
We want to know if May is a good period to climb all these peaks.
There will be (thinking about other years) enough snow to reach the
bottom.
Have you ever been on Rainier peak? Is it better to climb it from
Paradise (Camp Muir)or from Emmons?

As for Mt. Rainier, May is the earliest people usually climb it, though the
peculiarly gung-ho do sometimes climb earlier. This year is a relatively big
snow year, so I'd think there'd still be a good bit of it lying around in
mid-May. From Paradise by way of Camp Muir is the most common route, rather
than Sunrise / Emmons Glacier.

Helpful info on Rainier: http://www.rmiguides.com/

You'll probably get good info if you post a climbing newsgroup too.