Sock advice?

Old February 16th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

Default Sock advice?

I've been boarding 6+ years, and have always had a few problems with
blisters, though my boots feel comfortable.

I bought some decent boarding socks with padding, but I think I
actually created too much pressure in my boots, as they then felt too
tight with my sole inserts.

I've read that double layer socks (custom made or literally two thin
pairs) work well as the movement becomes boot on sock rather than sock
on skin - any thoughts?

And I heard that if the first layer sock is silk, this is helpful
apprently - any other materials recommended?

Many thanks,

TAS

Old February 16th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Andrew Wright

You can wear a liner sock under pretty much any other sock. They're sold as
liner socks, and can be made out of silk or some kind of high-tech synthetic
if you don't feel like paying as much. I usually wear liners under wool
socks when I'm wearing work boots, and it makes it a lot more comfortable.

Also consider a very thin, unpadded snowboarding sock.

Andrew

oups.com...

Old February 17th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

Thanks, that seems to validate what I've heard. I've checked out some
sites and found some silk liners, and also a double layer sock which
claims to do the same thing. Also found a very thin outer sock online
like you mentioned (wasn't specifically for boarding but might do the
job), so maybe silk liner plus those means I could put back in my sole
inserts.

Old February 17th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Feb 17, 6:11 am, "z?" wrote:
Thanks, that seems to validate what I've heard. I've checked out some
sites and found some silk liners, and also a double layer sock which
claims to do the same thing. Also found a very thin outer sock online
like you mentioned (wasn't specifically for boarding but might do the
job), so maybe silk liner plus those means I could put back in my sole
inserts.

I just wear one realatively thin sock which works very well for me.
When I buy boots, I try them on using just a thin dress type sock.
That way, as they pack in, I figure if necessary to help take up some
room, I can move up to a thicker sock. But so far, I haven't had to
do that. IMO, a thin sock works best and the socks most likely to
give you problems are the heavy ones.

Old February 18th 07, 08:33 AM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

The socks I wear for skiing are the same I wear for boarding: SmartWool either "Light Padding" or "Race" (no padding). I find their padded socks to be too uncomfortable, but like trader4 posted, they are an option down the road if the liners pack out.
Old February 19th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Silk socks are old technology. The new polypropelene socks are both
cheaper and better. A thin polypro sock wicks moisture away from your
foot and keeps it dry and comfortable. Most people find that relying on
the boot to insulate and the sock to wick is the most comfortable
solution - thick insulating socks are unnecessary.

Neil
Old March 5th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

On 19 Feb, 20:41, Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Silk socks are old technology. The new polypropelene socks are both
cheaper and better. A thin polyprosockwicks moisture away from your
foot and keeps it dry and comfortable. Most people find that relying on
the boot to insulate and thesockto wick is the most comfortable
solution - thick insulating socks are unnecessary.

Neil

Thanks Neil - and other posters - for the additional advice. I'm going
to have another look online and check out these poly socks too.

Tom

Old April 4th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

Just a bit of feedback for anyone interested and in the hope it might
help future Google searchers..

I tried a few sock combos, but the thing that seemed to work best for
me was a very thin base layer, then another thin man-made layer on
top. I bought some really thin Tactel base socks from Needlesports,
who were excellent, and used some basic man-made socks (not even
sports socks) over the top as hadn't had time to source an ultra-thin
ski or snowboard sock before I left.

The result was strangely successful. By "strangely", I mean that a
thin layer of my (albeit rather soft) skin still seemed to rub off at
the usual locations, but it never got sore, it smoothed out overnight,
and didn't really bother me much. Last year, the same parts of my feet
were affected but the abrasions were seemingly much deeper. Perhaps
the wicking effect was helping here, as although my feet always seem a
bit moist at the end of the day, the skin seemed fine.

I did find keeping the boot looser helped, especially as I used my
boot inner-soles.

Even when the socks seemed to crumple and work their way down, I never
really had any major issues, especially when boarding rather than
walking about between runs.

Overall the dual layer thing worked well for me and I'll continue with
this again in the future.

6 clear days in Meribel too - awesome!