new to snowboarding

Old January 2nd 06, 09:22 PM

While pondering the Universe, (surf) wrote
.com:

well I ride mostly in VT and we are about the same ahem age. You
didn't mention your weight, but if you are either side 160lbs a board
of 158-163 should be fine. IMHO you shouln't get an advanced freeride
board - they are very stiff and generally have a very large turning
radius (great for big wide open runs, not VT). Look for a all mountain
middle of the road board with a moderate flex. At one time I rode
a Ride Exile - moderate flex and about a 8m sidecut and this was a
lot of fun because I could concentrate more on enjoying riding than
continually worrying about techinque (which will come with time). It
was also easier in crowds and bumps.

As to injury.. I have a reconstructed knee which I blew out in a terrain
park my first year boarding (yes I was old then too). Since then I
do not go in the pipe and generally stick to just riding the mountain
with odd small hit here and there. I'll leave the park and big air to
those who still bounce back. Given the north east snow doesn't have much
give in the winter, my back is probably thankful too.

I would advise against Tuckermans until you know what the * you are doing.
Yes you can get badly hurt there and don't think there won't/can't be
an avalanche.

As others have mentioned, you are most likely to injure your wrists or
just generally get banged up. Hand injuries can be avoided if you don't
stick your arms out to break your fall Shoulder injuries are also
possible (I know), though far less likely.

If you are in Boston you might want to try Mt. Snow, its right on the
MA border and has more terrain than most of the nearer NH mountains.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:23 PM

As in surfboards, there's a need for every wave and spot, if you so
choose....
Powder CAN be dangerous, with sharp rocks under, or very safe, with
deep ever hardening pack. You gotta check it before you huck it.
Best time to get 30-45% off is before the season, or April closeouts.
Just call every shop you know, and ask if they have last year's stuff
and what price. Most do, not full selections, but you need only one
board to start with.

Old January 3rd 06, 05:20 AM

As others have mentioned, you are most likely to injure your wrists or
just generally get banged up. Hand injuries can be avoided if you don't
stick your arms out to break your fall Shoulder injuries are also
possible (I know), though far less likely.

To this great advice I would add to be conscious of your hand and
finger positioning. On my second day of boarding I went down with an
open hand and broke a thumb, which required surgery. Next year I did
alot of reading about how to fall correctly. It's tricky to learn to
fall without extending your arms to break the fall. At least it was for
me. While you're learning that skill, it might be a good idea to ride
with your hands in a loose fist.

Old January 3rd 06, 05:18 PM

pwef wrote:
As others have mentioned, you are most likely to injure your wrists or
just generally get banged up. Hand injuries can be avoided if you don't
stick your arms out to break your fall Shoulder injuries are also
possible (I know), though far less likely.

To this great advice I would add to be conscious of your hand and
finger positioning. On my second day of boarding I went down with an
open hand and broke a thumb, which required surgery. Next year I did
alot of reading about how to fall correctly. It's tricky to learn to
fall without extending your arms to break the fall. At least it was for
me. While you're learning that skill, it might be a good idea to ride
with your hands in a loose fist.

I did something similar on my very first day snowbarding, but I didn't
break my thumb. My thumb joint went red-purple-black-blue-grey-pink
over a six week period. When I went to the medial centre at the end of
that day, the docter said: "Learning to snowboard eh?".
Old January 3rd 06, 06:13 PM

I went to ski market in Framingham, the guy showed me a Burton Custom
for $500 and explained it is pre stressed by starting it with 8mil
camber and pressing it down to 4mil. He said for less money you can get
a Burton Royale for $400, the 162 looked like it would be the right
size. I have seen alot of Burton boards everywhere I look thus far. He
also said you'd set back on the board for powder. He said these are all
around boards for packed snow/powder etc.

If you buy boot, bindings, and board together they give you 8%
discount.

Old January 3rd 06, 06:19 PM

Just asking about Tuckerman's for what would be possible in a few years
down the road with some experience as there is not much else as
impressive sounding around here to look forward to as that. I'm just
trying to picture what I would be doing latter on around home turf. I
have heard enough about that spot that I wouldn't expect to be going
there for quite a while.

I have some padding I bought for Roller Bladding that I would wear. I
don't want to hurt my hands. I am a serious rock guitarist. Where do
you learn about how to fall and not hurt your hands ?

I also have a bad back.

The guy at ski market said he used a tailbone pad as well when he
learned.

Seems snowboarding might be a little more dangerous than ocean surfing
in many circumstances.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:48 PM

Once again, every sport can be dangerous, even chess. I know guys
who get tennis elbow from moving the pieces...and static butt, of
course.
Tack some lightweight EVA foam padding to your butt and knees.
As in football or karate, you roll with the fall, not stick a stupid
arm out to resist it.
Keep your knees bent at all times, while riding.
Beginning is always the most dangerous time, I hope you get over it.
For me, the worst first day was my stomach muscles getting sore, as
did my shoulder deltoids from getting up so many times.
After that first 2 hour day, I could link turns, carve a bit, and
float thru powder without catching rails ever again.
As far as Tucks, I can say I skied Chute75 at Squaw my 10th day ever,
and I'd suspect could have snowboarded it just barely sooner.
But it isn't about how fast you progress, unless your 19 and strong.
Most of my friends actually learned faster, as they didn't have the
disadvantage of being an advanced skier.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:57 PM

Most of my friends actually learned faster, as they didn't have the
disadvantage of being an advanced skier.

Just curious - what disadvatage is that?

Old January 3rd 06, 09:07 PM

Where do
you learn about how to fall and not hurt your hands ?

To begin with, LeeD couldn't be more correct in pointing out that chess
is dangerous. I sure don't want the story of my thumb to be taken as
evidence that riding is dangerous. It was a fluke that is easily
avoided. You already have enough knowledge to avoid it! I spent my
childhood in bubble wrap and I think I have a keener sense of risk than
some. Even so, as a freerider I wear no protective gear. After
developing just a few skills, I don't perceive of riding as risky.

Like most, I would have preferred to just get out there and learn by
doing, but my mishap made me think just little more than most do. The
following year when I went back out I took a lesson and 'how to fall'
was part of it. I did some searching on the internet and also bought
the book The Illustrated Guide To Snowboarding, which has a couple
pages on the subject. The principals are really simple and easy to
employ with a little practice. Don't put out your arms to break a fall,
don't spread your fingers, relax and ride out the fall when you can
rather than fighting it, things like that.

If you're concerned about injury to the point that it's affecting your
level of fun, spend $16 USD on the book (or another book) and take a
free lesson. Ask questions about falling if it's not offered by the
instructor. I think it's a truism, too, that if a person is continually
thinking about injury they are more likely to get injured. Part of the
deal with this sport is confidence. At least to me it is.

Some will disagree, but I'll say that another upside of a book is that
if you're the analytical type you can get an appreciation for the
forces at work with riding and learn how to play with them a little
more effectively than you might be able to with trial and error. There
are a lot of ways to ride. Some techniques are crutches, some are good
form, some may be specific to you. It helps me to have an external
reference to some idea of "good form".

Have fun!

Old January 3rd 06, 10:54 PM

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:57:07 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:

Most of my friends actually learned faster, as they didn't have the
disadvantage of being an advanced skier.

Just curious - what disadvatage is that?

Sounds like ******** to me - most skiers I know have picked up
boarding pretty quickly.

Equally, after 12 years on a board (tho only about 15 ~ 20 days a
season), I put on a pair of skis for the first time last week. Of
course, the current generation of skis (with a "carving" edge) are a
world away from those used years ago, but it was really easy to put
the basics together on a blue run. By the end of the day I was quite
comfortable doing controlled, linked, parallel turns.

So, in conclusion - I think being familiar with snow conditions, slope
characteristics, how an edge works, even how the damn lifts work is a
huge advantage when learning a new sliding device. All you have to
focus on is the bits on the ground.

--
Champ