Car hire in Utah

Old January 13th 04, 01:19 AM
Vern93

Default Car hire in Utah

In article ,
Walt wrote:

As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
premium rent from them.

I usually rent with the major brands, but last week when we were in SLC,
we rented from a compnay called "Rugged" rental. (http://www.ruggedrental.com/)
They have a shuttle that will meet you at the airport and their office
is close by. Their prices are low and the owner is there most time and
very nice. We got a nice 4WD Jeep SUV for less than we ever paid
before.

As for the value of a 4wd, I think it's worth it. YMMV. And just
because you can drive up a mountain in the morning doesn't mean
conditions won't suck on the way back down, ALTHOUGH they do an
excellent job of keeping those Cottonwood Canyon roads clear.

Dave
Old January 13th 04, 02:18 AM
pigo

"C. Parker" wrote in message

"pigo" wrote in message

"Alan Rowland" wrote in message
I'm planning my first ski trip from the UK to the US, staying in Salt

Lake
City from Mar3-17, and driving to all the local resorts, and I'm about

organise a hire car. I have a couple of questions: do I need a 4wd or

snow
chains? And which hire companies (based at the airport) would you

reccommend
for low cost? Thanks,

Al

My bil might be here about that time from Coventry.

I would get 4wd if you are coming here to ski the crap out of it. If you

can
take not getting up if we get nailed it's not necessary. The other

option
would be to take the bus up if we get nailed. 2wd will almost always get

you
to the bus stop at the bottom of the canyon. Personally? The few extra

bucks
are worth it. The few thousand extra I pay for a 4wd truck is justified

the
first time I push the button and don't have to get out and dig or push.

But
budget is a consideration. If it takes 2wd to be able to afford the

trip,
it's doable.

Look me up when it gets close. We'll go have a warm one.

pigo

Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year?

Only if it snows. It boils down to how disappointed you will be if you hit
the one of the few times it's really needed.

May can be deep.

We will
be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between

4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest

place
I could find.

C.

Old January 14th 04, 03:38 PM
Walt

Walt wrote:

As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
premium rent from them.

Add Payless to the rental car companies who are on my permanent ****
list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/business/13gps.html

Short version: guy rented a car in California, drove to Nevada and
Arizona before bringing it back to California. Payless had a clause in
the fine print of the contract that said any car that crossed the state
lines would be charged $1/mile. Instead of the expected $259 bill, he
was charged $3,405.05.

NEVER rent from Payless. They're crooks.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 14th 04, 03:58 PM
Chester Bullock

Walt wrote:

Walt wrote:

As for rental car vendors, avoid Dollar at all costs. They'll take your
reservation and not have any cars when you get there. Any of the other
major companies are pretty acceptable and more or less interchangeable.
Avis is the best IMHO, but I'm not willing to pay more than a 10%
premium rent from them.

Add Payless to the rental car companies who are on my permanent ****
list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/business/13gps.html

Short version: guy rented a car in California, drove to Nevada and
Arizona before bringing it back to California. Payless had a clause in
the fine print of the contract that said any car that crossed the state
lines would be charged $1/mile. Instead of the expected $259 bill, he
was charged $3,405.05.

NEVER rent from Payless. They're crooks.

OMG, that way sucks.
----------------------
Chester

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
Old January 17th 04, 12:29 AM
Brent Harsh

C. Parker wrote:

Do you really think a 4wd is that important that late in the year? We will
be there the following week, March 18 thru 24, and the difference between a
4wd and a full size Fwd is huge, price wise. $233 more at the cheapest place
I could find.

Don't know about Utah and if necessary - but ask the rental agencies
if they have the AWD Subaru cars. We just skiied at Baker for a
couple days, driving from Seattle in between the snowstorms. I looked
at the 4WD prices and thought they were nuts - then Dollar said they
had AWD Subarus - and it was a midsize car price of $29 a day. It got
us through a bunch of snow each day up the mountain (17 mile drive to
closest accomodations!). When renting, I'll definitetly ask for them
since it was pretty cheap, AWD, and roomy.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.