condition of Gunflint Area

Old November 7th 03, 10:19 PM
Mark Eastman

Default condition of Gunflint Area

While researching a possible trip to the Gunflint Trail area for cross
country skiing this winter, I came across some references to a terrible
windstorm a few years ago that damaged the area. I was wondering if the
blown trees etc...and general damage is still visible and distracts from the
overall beauty of the area?

Mark
Danville CA

Old November 8th 03, 12:17 PM
Greg Fangel

"Mark Eastman" wrote in message ink.net...
While researching a possible trip to the Gunflint Trail area for cross
country skiing this winter, I came across some references to a terrible
windstorm a few years ago that damaged the area. I was wondering if the
blown trees etc...and general damage is still visible and distracts from the
overall beauty of the area?

Mark, yes the mid to upper Gunflint trail area was hit by the big
blowdown storm of July 4, 1999. Some areas are very changed while
other areas have varying degrees of damage.

Don't be discouraged though, there are about 400km of xc ski trails
from the North Shore of Lake Superior to the Gunflint trail. Most of
the trails mentioned are out of the blowdown area.

There are three major xc ski areas on the Gunflint Trail. Lower
Gunflint, has Pincusion trails and Washington Forest, both untouched
by the storm. mid-Gunflint has Golden Eagle and Bearskin Lodge and
their associated trails, damage is varied and the most damage from the
storm is in the upper Gunflint area near Gunflint Lodge.

There are 200km of trails along the North Shore of Lake Superior from
Tofte to Grand Marais.

see www.sugarbushtrail.org for 65km near Tofte

Information on the blowdown is located at
http://www.superiornationalforest.org/july4thstorm1999/

Good Luck

Greg Fangel
Tofte, MN
Old November 9th 03, 02:23 AM
Bkstuber

Greg,

What are the snow conditions up there? BTW how do you decide were to sleep?

Bill

equipment trade-ins in new york metro area? Josh Salit General 2 March 1st 04 12:36 PM
Aspen area lift tickets Jeffrey C. Timmons North American Ski Resorts 1 February 24th 04 08:38 PM
Ski area signage Brian Rue General 7 January 21st 04 08:27 PM
Lake Tahoe area in April J.B. Memascii Snowboarding 3 January 15th 04 01:36 PM
New year in the Denver/Boulder area David Jones North American Ski Resorts 1 November 14th 03 05:33 AM