Where to go

Old September 11th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Snorer

Default Where to go

OK I know that not too many are looking at this out of season but this is
another one of those "whats the best resort for me posts"
There is not much my party an I cannot ski so we don't want a novice resort
but most of my skiing except Alpe d'huez has been more Northern Alps and
Austria. This year I have booked some flights to Grenoble but unfortunately
its half term week. Hence the usual impossible question where to go that has
got a good lift system, does not get too crowded with local kids bused in
every day, reasonable car transfer and is a hidden gem. Night life not an
issue, we only want to ski,eat and sleep, oh and more ski.
Ideas and comments appreciated

Old September 12th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

"Snorer" wrote in message
OK I know that not too many are looking at this out of season but this is
another one of those "whats the best resort for me posts"
There is not much my party an I cannot ski so we don't want a novice
resort but most of my skiing except Alpe d'huez has been more Northern
Alps and Austria. This year I have booked some flights to Grenoble but
unfortunately its half term week. Hence the usual impossible question
where to go that has got a good lift system, does not get too crowded with
local kids bused in every day, reasonable car transfer and is a hidden
gem. Night life not an issue, we only want to ski,eat and sleep, oh and
more ski.
Ideas and comments appreciated

Serre Chevalier? Big Mountain skiing, plenty of variety and masses of
investment going in right now. And a wide range of accommodation.
I was there for the first time last Jan, and was very impressed. You can ski
over/down to Briançon (gondola return) and you also have cross-border skiing
at nearby Montgenèvre (and kite-skiing at the Col du Lauteret, if you're up
for it). Snow cover last year was also some of the best anywhere in the
Alps. More of our impressions he
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint..._chevalier.htm

Oh, and for my money it's a lot more appealing than the other obvious
geographical contender, Les Deux-Alpes (especially at half-term periods).

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old September 13th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Sep 11, 3:03*pm, "Snorer" wrote:
OK I know that not too many are looking at this out of season but this is
another one of those "whats the best resort for me posts"
There is not much my party an I cannot ski so we don't want a novice resort
but most of my skiing except Alpe d'huez has been more Northern Alps and
Austria. This year I have booked some flights to Grenoble but unfortunately
its half term week. Hence the usual impossible question where to go that has
got a good lift system, does not get too crowded with local kids bused in
every day, reasonable car transfer and is a hidden gem. Night life not an
issue, we only want to ski,eat and sleep, oh and more ski.
Ideas and comments appreciated

Would agree with Roger that Serre-Chevalier is a good choice.
Peak Retreats still has some availability for half-term at Le Hameau
du Rocher Blanc which is a very well located MGM residence
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/serre-chevalier.htm

Otherwise Vaujany www.vaujany.co.uk or Oz-en-Oisans
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/oz-en-oisans.htm are two villages on
the Alpe d'Huez ski area which would score very well under all your
criteria. The only problem is that you may find availability is
extremely limited for that particular week...

Montgenevre is also definitely worth checking http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/montgenevre.htm.
Peak Retreats still has some availability for half-term at Le Hameau
des Airelles which is brand new and located right by the slopes.

Alternatively within easy driving distance there is Les Deux Alpes
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/les-deux-alpes.htm but it's a larger
resort more similar to Alpe d'Huez (only downside is that it does get
reasonably crowded at half term) and again there is some availability
there.

Finally have a look at Chamrousse if you want low prices
http://www.skicollection.co.uk/Ski/Chamrousse.htm .

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk