Pass opening dates/Col d'Iseran

Old April 22nd 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Champ

Default Pass opening dates/Col d'Iseran

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:49:21 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:14:24 +0100, john elgy
wrote:

Champ wrote:

I can confirm that it's not open in mid-June:
http://www.champ.org.uk/bikes/images/mugellosnow.jpg

This was on the way back from the Italian GP at Mugello in 2001.

Great photo. Wasn't the barrier lowered at the bottom of the pass?

They decided that the 'pass closed' signs 30 km back were obviously
lying, and that there couldn't possibly be snow at that time of year.

Hey, it was me, Bonwick and Alex F -- we looked at each other and said
"how bad can it be?" :-)

****s!

Guilty as charged, yer honour.

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old April 22nd 08, 10:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 19 Apr, 13:46, LittleRob wrote:
wrote:
Off topic, but it's quiet... *I'd like to do this kind of motorbike,
sunny day,
dry road with walls of snow either side thing. *I'd always imagined,
that
after the lifts close down in val d'Isere they run a snow plough over
the
top, though as it sometimes snows right through to May/June I guess
it's not really like that. *Any ideas on fixed dates for opening the
Col
d'Iseran, or ideas where freshly opened high passes might be the first
couple of weeks in may (within 3 hours of Geneva).

Cheers.
Iain.

Iain

I've not ridden this route (though I'm tempted this year) but I drove it
in an open-top car a few years ago. I can recommend it.

A very good resource iswww.alpineroads.com

Rob

BTW, and back on topic, there's loads of snow in the Espace Killy at
the moment. The Grande Motte just got another 20cm of powder on it
last night bringing the depth up to 310cm. Awesome skiing for the time
of year and I think it's going to get sunny at the end of the week.
Anyone fancies a bank holiday skiing trip there should be some good
deals about.

Matt
Old April 22nd 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Ace wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 03:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Matt T
wrote:

BTW, and back on topic, there's loads of snow in the Espace Killy at
the moment. The Grande Motte just got another 20cm of powder on it
last night bringing the depth up to 310cm. Awesome skiing for the time
of year and I think it's going to get sunny at the end of the week.
Anyone fancies a bank holiday skiing trip there should be some good
deals about.

Indeed. Chamonix was excellent last weekend (Thurs-Sun) too - skied at
Grand Montets, where we had some great powder, especially on the
glacier, and only slightly slushy conditions on the last run home down
to the car park level.

"Slightly" mushy ?

Shame I didn't know you were there, as I was there with a couple of old
RSA regulars too. Were you with the group wearing SCGB monogrammed kit
outside at the restaurant at Grand Montets mid-station on Sunday
lunchtime ? If so, I think I saw you...

We enjoyed the powder off Hearse chair Sat. morning too and had a great
time, but were too disorganised to sort out tram to glacier until Sunday
afternoon. Things were not helped by the Vagabond Gits who slept in
after the big end-of-season-workers party on Sat. night, so the ski room
wasn't unlocked until about 9.30
Old April 22nd 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Ace wrote:
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:36 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:27:19 +0200, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:
Indeed. Chamonix was excellent last weekend (Thurs-Sun) too - skied at
Grand Montets, where we had some great powder, especially on the
glacier, and only slightly slushy conditions on the last run home down
to the car park level.
"Slightly" mushy ?

Shame I didn't know you were there, as I was there with a couple of old
RSA regulars too. Were you with the group wearing SCGB monogrammed kit
outside at the restaurant at Grand Montets mid-station on Sunday
lunchtime ?

It was a rep's refresher, and one or two were wearing the green
jackets, including the boss, with others quite likely ewaring bits and
bobs of kit, like shirts, fleeces etc.

If so, I think I saw you...

Not me - I'd gone homw by then, having been completely exhausted by it

I know what you mean

all. Despite 60 days skiing this year my back[1] was still complaining
after three full days of hard off-piste skiing, with a fair dose of
digging for avalanche victims thrown in.

Only practice I hope....

We enjoyed the powder off Hearse chair Sat. morning too and had a great
time, but were too disorganised to sort out tram to glacier until Sunday
afternoon. Things were not helped by the Vagabond Gits who slept in
after the big end-of-season-workers party on Sat. night, so the ski room
wasn't unlocked until about 9.30

Not the best start to the day. And there were even a few queues on
Saturday, although we didn't bother going up to the glacier, as the
lift wasn't running until around lunchtime due to high winds on top.

[1] Still recovering, all too slowly, it seems, from injuries incurred
in my bike smash 20 months ago.

Just be thankful you're even walking, let alone skiing...
Old April 22nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:36 +0200, Ace wrote:

Not me - I'd gone homw by then, having been completely exhausted by it
all. Despite 60 days skiing this year my back[1] was still complaining
after three full days of hard off-piste skiing, with a fair dose of
digging for avalanche victims thrown in.

Real or practice?

--
-Pip
Old April 22nd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Andy Bonwick

wrote:

Champ wrote:

I can confirm that it's not open in mid-June:
http://www.champ.org.uk/bikes/images/mugellosnow.jpg

This was on the way back from the Italian GP at Mugello in 2001.

Great photo. Wasn't the barrier lowered at the bottom of the pass?

They decided that the 'pass closed' signs 30 km back were obviously
lying, and that there couldn't possibly be snow at that time of year.

Hey, it was me, Bonwick and Alex F -- we looked at each other and said
"how bad can it be?" :-)

****s!

It was ok at the bottom..

Guilty as charged, yer honour.

They made me do it.
Old April 22nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Champ[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:40:05 +0100, Andy Bonwick
wrote:

I can confirm that it's not open in mid-June:
http://www.champ.org.uk/bikes/images/mugellosnow.jpg

This was on the way back from the Italian GP at Mugello in 2001.

Great photo. Wasn't the barrier lowered at the bottom of the pass?

They decided that the 'pass closed' signs 30 km back were obviously
lying, and that there couldn't possibly be snow at that time of year.

Hey, it was me, Bonwick and Alex F -- we looked at each other and said
"how bad can it be?" :-)

****s!

It was ok at the bottom..

Guilty as charged, yer honour.

They made me do it.

Of all the people who can play the "a big boy did it and ran away"
card, Andy, you are not it.
--
Champ
Old April 23rd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Andy Bonwick

wrote:

I can confirm that it's not open in mid-June:
http://www.champ.org.uk/bikes/images/mugellosnow.jpg

This was on the way back from the Italian GP at Mugello in 2001.

Great photo. Wasn't the barrier lowered at the bottom of the pass?

They decided that the 'pass closed' signs 30 km back were obviously
lying, and that there couldn't possibly be snow at that time of year.

Hey, it was me, Bonwick and Alex F -- we looked at each other and said
"how bad can it be?" :-)

****s!

It was ok at the bottom..

Guilty as charged, yer honour.

They made me do it.

Of all the people who can play the "a big boy did it and ran away"
card, Andy, you are not it.

Ringleaders! You're all a bunch of ringleaders.

Can I claim I didn't understand the French sign telling us the road
was closed and I assumed the barriers were because it was a toll road?
Old April 23rd 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Matt T

On 23 Apr, 18:35, Andy Bonwick wrote:

Can I claim I didn't understand the French sign telling us the road
was closed and I assumed the barriers were because it was a toll road?

Only if you managed to pay someone 20 Euros as you went through.
Old April 23rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Wicked Uncle Nigel

Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Matt T
typed
On 23 Apr, 18:35, Andy Bonwick wrote:

Can I claim I didn't understand the French sign telling us the road
was closed and I assumed the barriers were because it was a toll road?

Only if you managed to pay someone 20 Euros as you went through.

This is Bonwick. He'd duck under it behind someone else and assume it
was an automated toll.

Thinking about it, that's probably how he got into cave diving.

--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

My position was (and, to be honest, largely remains) one of complete ambiguity.