LILLEHAMMER WINTER OLYMPICS 1994-2004.

Old February 12th 04, 01:47 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Default LILLEHAMMER WINTER OLYMPICS 1994-2004.

Yes indeed, folks, it is exactly ten years ago today, February 12th 2004,
the day of the spectacular opening ceremony of the 1994 Lillehammer Winter
Olympic Games. We shall celebrate the tenth anniversary of these greatest of
all Winter Games ALL weekend, and I for one most definitely mean ALL
weekend! So there! Remember Tommy Moe and Franz Heinzer, anyone?? One won
the gold, and the other one lost one of his skis right after
starting.................. Oh well. Water under the bridge now, anyway, I
suppose. We here say "Do not talk any more about the snow that fell last
winter". That was then, and this is now. Snow under the
bridge................. BTW, why bother removing snow, it will all melt away
in the end anyway.................. just be patient and wait and
see..................

Old February 12th 04, 08:03 AM
J999w

I was just watching some of the races this past week.

It was my favorite of all Olympic games (so far).

John Wilke
Milwaukee, WI USA
Old February 12th 04, 03:49 PM
JMC

I remember Lillehammer for mainly for Myriam Bedard Golds at both the 7,5
and 15 k Biathlon, but also for Jean-Luc Brassard's Gold in the Moguls and
the shootout in the final Hockey game that allowed Sweden to win over
Canada.

JMC

Old February 12th 04, 05:59 PM
sjjohnston

"JMC" wrote in message
. ..
I remember Lillehammer for mainly for Myriam Bedard Golds at both the 7,5
and 15 k Biathlon ...

For me, it's Letterman's mother.

Old February 12th 04, 06:11 PM
George Cleveland

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:47:08 +0100, "Inger Skramstad Jørstad"
wrote:

Yes indeed, folks, it is exactly ten years ago today, February 12th 2004,
the day of the spectacular opening ceremony of the 1994 Lillehammer Winter
Olympic Games. We shall celebrate the tenth anniversary of these greatest of
all Winter Games ALL weekend, and I for one most definitely mean ALL
weekend! So there! Remember Tommy Moe and Franz Heinzer, anyone?? One won
the gold, and the other one lost one of his skis right after
starting.................. Oh well. Water under the bridge now, anyway, I
suppose. We here say "Do not talk any more about the snow that fell last
winter". That was then, and this is now. Snow under the
bridge................. BTW, why bother removing snow, it will all melt away
in the end anyway.................. just be patient and wait and
see..................

10 years...it sure doesn't seem that long. They were by far the best
Olympics I've ever seen and I've been watching them ever since I can
remember. The '68 games in Grenoble (IIRC) were the ones that got me
interested in xc skiing.

g.c.
Old February 13th 04, 04:22 PM
Mary Malmros

"JMC" writes:

I remember Lillehammer for mainly for Myriam Bedard Golds at both the 7,5
and 15 k Biathlon, but also for Jean-Luc Brassard's Gold in the Moguls and
the shootout in the final Hockey game that allowed Sweden to win over
Canada.

The very best opening ceremony, EVER.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old February 13th 04, 04:48 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Mary Malmros" skrev i melding
"JMC" writes:
I remember Lillehammer for mainly for Myriam Bedard Golds at both the

7,5
and 15 k Biathlon, but also for Jean-Luc Brassard's Gold in the Moguls

and
the shootout in the final Hockey game that allowed Sweden to win over
Canada.

The very best opening ceremony, EVER.

Thank you, your words are much appreciated, and I have no problem in totally
agreeing with you here, for once. I did not see the opening ceremony myself,
not even on TV, as I was working as an accreditated driver just then, but I
attended the dress rehearsal only a few days earlier. It was somewhat
different, though, I suppose. But I attended the closing ceremony, so sad in
many ways................. And I saw Tommy Moe win his downhill gold in
Kvitfjell, I was there, I mean, and so was the at that time US First Lady
Hilary Clinton, I think, even though I did not see her personnally. But I
saw King Juan Carlos of Spain, not at all a bad substitution for Mrs.
Clinton. I also stood right outside Håkons Hall during the hockey final and
listened to the incredible noise coming from the crowd inside the hall

Old February 13th 04, 04:54 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"J999w" skrev i melding
I was just watching some of the races this past week.
It was my favorite of all Olympic games (so far).

Thank you, good sir, your kind words are much appreciated, and I obviously
agree with you totally. The SLC 2002 Games were just great, too, all things
and sad circumstances considered (so short after Sept.11th, I mean). Truly
great Games, both here in Lillehammer in 1994, Nagano in 1998, and in SLC in
2002.

Old February 13th 04, 05:00 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" skrev i melding
"J999w" skrev i melding
I was just watching some of the races this past week.
It was my favorite of all Olympic games (so far).

Thank you, good sir, your kind words are much appreciated, and I obviously
agree with you totally. The SLC 2002 Games were just great, too, all

things
and sad circumstances considered (so shortly after Sept.11th, I mean).

Truly
great Games, both here in Lillehammer in 1994, Nagano in 1998, and in SLC

in
2002.

(Error corrected.)

Old February 16th 04, 12:51 PM
David Dermott

I have the CD, Souvenirs of Norway. One of the songs is Sissel singing
the OL 1994 theme song:

Gå mot det lyset som flammer i nord.
Gå til det landet hvor trollene bor
der hvor alle er venn
med vinteren.

Se ilden lyse over jord.
Se jorden bli en stjerne fager og stor
som en snekrystall mot himmelens blå
svever den drømmen vi lever på.

Every time I listen to that I get a tear in my eye and the urge to buy
a plane ticket to Norway.

In 2002 the "middle-of-nowhere" gas station/convenience store at
junction of Rv 25 and Rv 208 (Trysil Kommune) was still selling
OL94 souvenirs! I bought a few Kristin and Håkon postcards.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: