Alta - Snowbird

Old September 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
eblaster

Default Alta - Snowbird

My 14 yo son and I are considering skiing Alta & Snowbird next Februrary,
does anyone have any recommendations on lodging?

Thanks

Old September 26th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

eblaster wrote:
My 14 yo son and I are considering skiing Alta & Snowbird next Februrary,
does anyone have any recommendations on lodging?

If you're rich, stay in a lodge at the resorts, spend oodles and cover
the costs of their lifts - google the resort's lodging service.

If you're of lessor stature (see comments in car thread, above) a rental
car and a room in any of a hundred reasonably priced motels in Sandy at
the mouth of the canyons will save you bucks usable for new skis or
other necessities and give you more options - google for lodging in Sandy.

BTW, many of those Motels will negotiate if they expect to have empty
rooms - call an upscale facility and tell them you're about to check
into lessor lodging but if they'll match the price you'll go with them
for the night - they usually bite except at the height of mob season.

Old September 26th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

eblaster wrote:

My 14 yo son and I are considering skiing Alta & Snowbird next Februrary,
does anyone have any recommendations on lodging?

If you're rich, stay in a lodge at the resorts, spend oodles and cover
the costs of their lifts - google the resort's lodging service.

If you're of lessor stature (see comments in car thread, above) a rental
car and a room in any of a hundred reasonably priced motels in Sandy at
the mouth of the canyons will save you bucks usable for new skis or
other necessities and give you more options - google for lodging in Sandy.

BTW, many of those Motels will negotiate if they expect to have empty
rooms - call an upscale facility and tell them you're about to check
into lessor lodging but if they'll match the price you'll go with them
for the night - they usually bite except at the height of mob season.

Hmmmm. Is there ever actually a mob season in SLC? IIRC, they
overbuilt their hotel room supply for the 2002 Olympics so there are
always rooms a plenty.

//Walt

Old September 26th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

Hmmmm. Is there ever actually a mob season in SLC? IIRC, they
overbuilt their hotel room supply for the 2002 Olympics so there are
always rooms a plenty.

The mormans seem to hold numerous conventions and stuff which fills up
the rooms pretty good - ran into such an onslought a couple of times.
Family people - thousands of horrid little blondish kids running around.
Somebody should put contraceptives in the water supply.
And someone should undertake to teach the kids manners.

And someone should fix Utah booze rules.

The Utah powder is good.

Old September 27th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
David Spencer

"eblaster" writes:

My 14 yo son and I are considering skiing Alta & Snowbird next Februrary,
does anyone have any recommendations on lodging?

My wife, son (now 12) and I usually stay at the Snowpine. It's
comfortable, the owners and staff are very nice, the food is quite
good as ski lodges go, and they have some fun activities.

Friends and we have also stayed at the Peruvian and the Rustler. The
Peruvian is a frat house. The Rustler is the top end at Alta;
comfortable with amenities like a pool and sauna (but definitely not
the Beaver Creek Ritz Carlton).

Breakfast and dinner are included in the room price at all three. The
food at the Rustler and Snowpine is quite good -- about the level of a
Hyatt. Winelists are limited to a few inexpensive but good wines.
The Peruvian is (as mentioned) more casual.

All three have dorm rooms as well as lodge rooms. The dorm rooms are
inexpensive.

There's basically nothing to do at Alta except ski, eat at your lodge,
and sleep. Which is just fine with me.

Did I mention that the skiing is fantastic? Alta after a big dump is
heaven.

--
dhs

Old September 30th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
t...
Family people - thousands of horrid little blondish kids running around.
Somebody should put contraceptives in the water supply.
And someone should undertake to teach the kids manners.

I understand your apprehension at kids. Utah has one of the youngest
populations around - unlike Hawaii and Pennsylvania (my residences) with two
of the greyest populations to boot.

And someone should fix Utah booze rules.

Concur. (and tourist taxes).

Wasn't the building done in Park City, though, the next canyon to the north.
That's where I stayed in an overpriced bedsit.

Old October 1st 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
snoig

Kurt Knisely wrote:
I've heard the powder is better in Colorado.

Maybe, but there's less of it and it gets skied off quicker.

snoig

Old October 2nd 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Kurt Knisely

"snoig" wrote in news:1159734154.028694.28590
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Kurt Knisely wrote:
I've heard the powder is better in Colorado.

Maybe, but there's less of it and it gets skied off quicker.

Then why are the Powder 8's held there each year?

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...PORTS/60413007

Hey Mikey!

-K

Old October 2nd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:
I've heard the powder is better in Colorado.

Maybe, but there's less of it and it gets skied off quicker.

Then why are the Powder 8's held there each year?

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...PORTS/60413007

Hey Mikey!

Right. We'll have to wait for Saemisch to chime in for the definitive
word, but if I was forced to have an opinion (reticent as I am to ever
pronounce an opinion) I would say it's because Powder Eights work better
in 10-12 inches of fluffy new as seen occasionally in Collyraido rather
than 1-2 meters of fluffy new as seen in Youtaw.

In any case you haven't really skied powder until you've turned in my
local stuff. Why, a skier can't hardly notice the stuff that passes for
powder in Youtaw and Collyraido, while our local stuff lets you know
it's there by wrestling you for the right to guide your skis. That
Sierra Cement is real powerful powder.

Alta Snowbird eblaster Alpine Skiing 10 October 9th 06 07:55 PM
Solitude, Alta, Brighton and Snowbird DZN Alpine Skiing 18 February 17th 06 03:57 AM
Mega Snowbird News JB Alpine Skiing 2 January 20th 05 09:27 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Best Skiing outside of Alta & Snowbird in SLC Area Frequent_Flyer Alpine Skiing 14 November 13th 03 05:58 AM