A Little Injury Advice Please

Old January 21st 05, 04:26 PM
Stan

I wasn't talking about boarding!! Just some humor there.

I assumed a certain level of skill by og's answer; and was actually doing
the advised thing this past Wednesday and will continue to do so. Except
for the "face" part.

Thanks for the responses.

Stan.

"Champ" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:56:24 -0800, "Stan"
wrote:

"og" wrote in message
roups.com...
Quit your crying!! Your knees are bruised. Tape up the cast and get
back out there. It's a tough sport and you don't have that many years
left.. Next time take it in the face!

Thanks for the tip, og. I dried all my tears and you were right I don't
feel a thing now. Maybe your knees are just tougher than mine since

you're
probably down on them so often. Actually, I haven't been hanging around
here enough to know if you are a kidder, or just a kid. Doesn't matter
though. I'm guessing you're pretty far from being 50. Let's see if

you're
still boarding by then... or what other sport you take up when you get
there.

Ha! You couldn't be more wrong!

--
Champ

Old January 22nd 05, 12:04 AM
L H

From LH: Want to learn how to ski or board on ice ? Just do it !

To start....
1- Pick out a frozen lake and an adjacent hill with a drop to the lake
surface of maybe 3'. Ski or board down the hill-slope onto the ice
with a little momentum.

2- The instant you hit the ice - edge your skis immediately one way or
the other but parallel. Legs should be spread stiff, maybe 12 to 15",
to keep your skis from either crossing or slipping out from under you.

3- Practice turning the sklis edge-to-edge quickly 20-30 yds until you
feel you have direction and speed control. That's it ! You understand
a flat ski turns instantly on solid ice as you will experience.

4- Find a beginners' slope with both ice and snow cover usually on the
left or rightside of the slope.
Take off on BOTH SURFACES and swing your parallel skis or board back and
forth making certain that you lift your weight and then edge immediately
to control speed/direction. Same action for either skis or boards. Ice
is ice ! It's fun and you're usually all by yourself with plenty of ice
room to skid, turn, stop, etc. Have fun. LH