Bode

Old February 5th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alex Heney

Default Bode

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:59:38 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote in
:

snip

Although most countries entering will have enough skiers that they
don't *need* to enter any one in all events :-)

None of them *need* to. Some (US, Sweden for example) have some who can
perform in all five events; others (Austria for example) don't.

Pardon?

Only two male skiers have points in all five disciplines in the WC
this season, one of whom is Benni Raich. the other being Axel Lund
Svindal.

So I hardly think you can say Austria don't.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious

Old February 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

On Feb 5, 2:16 am, Alex Heney wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:59:38 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote in
:

snip

Although most countries entering will have enough skiers that they
don't *need* to enter any one in all events :-)

None of them *need* to. Some (US, Sweden for example) have some who can
perform in all five events; others (Austria for example) don't.

Pardon?

Only two male skiers have points in all five disciplines in the WC
this season, one of whom is Benni Raich. the other being Axel Lund
Svindal.

So I hardly think you can say Austria don't.

I think "perform" means "chance at the podium":

Benni:
- SL (yes)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (maybe)
- DH (no)

Aksel:
- SL (maybe)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (yes)
- DH (maybe)

Bode:
- SL (not likely, though he has done very well there in the past)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (yes)
- DH (yes)

I'd pick all of these guys to do all events IF they were up to it.
--
Marty

Old February 5th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alex Heney

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:09:14 -0500, "Marty" wrote:

On Feb 5, 2:16 am, Alex Heney wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:59:38 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote in
:

snip

Although most countries entering will have enough skiers that they
don't *need* to enter any one in all events :-)

None of them *need* to. Some (US, Sweden for example) have some who can
perform in all five events; others (Austria for example) don't.

Pardon?

Only two male skiers have points in all five disciplines in the WC
this season, one of whom is Benni Raich. the other being Axel Lund
Svindal.

So I hardly think you can say Austria don't.

I think "perform" means "chance at the podium":

Benni:
- SL (yes)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (maybe)
- DH (no)

You are probably right, but I wouldn't be certain. His best DH finish
at WC level is 10th (last season - 11th is his best this season).

By the time you are getting close to top 10 reasonably often, margins
are small enough that an extra good day could mean a podium.

At the last world championships, he got a podium in four events (all
those he entered), and did not enter the DH.

Aksel:
- SL (maybe)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (yes)
- DH (maybe)

Well the only events he has achieved WC podium finishes are DH SG and
Combined.

In the last world championships he was second in the combined, with no
other podium.

Bode:
- SL (not likely, though he has done very well there in the past)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (yes)
- DH (yes)

He is just not reliable enough in the SL or GS. He has only finished
three SL in the current or last WC seasons. In the last world
championships, he entered all five, won the DH and SG, and failed to
finish any of the others.

I'd pick all of these guys to do all events IF they were up to it.

Yes, I would agree, but I would be more dubious about Bode in SL than
the others in any of their events.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
So simple, a child could do it. (Child sold separately)

Old February 7th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

Aksel:
- SL (maybe)
- GS (yes)
- Combined (yes)
- SG (yes)
- DH (maybe)

Well the only events he has achieved WC podium finishes are DH SG and
Combined.

Actually, Aksel leads the GS WC points at the moment. He's got 3 podiums
this year (2nd, 1st and 3rd) and a 10th.

He is just not reliable enough in the SL or GS. He has only finished
three SL in the current or last WC seasons. In the last world
championships, he entered all five, won the DH and SG, and failed to
finish any of the others.

SL, I agree. Man, if only it were 3 Worlds ago. GS - he can be unbeatable.
This year he has a 12th, 2nd, 4th, and DNF.
--
Marty

Old February 12th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike

"Marty" wrote in message
. ..
Of course we Brits don't have more than two skiers with points in any
discipline :-(

That reminds me. I'm still ****ed about Baxter getting his Olympic Bronze
taken away. He was robbed!
--
Marty

Where does he train?

And, assuming there is one, what's the best place to ski in Britain?

Old February 12th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

"Mike" wrote in message
"Marty" wrote in message
. ..
Of course we Brits don't have more than two skiers with points in any
discipline :-(

That reminds me. I'm still ****ed about Baxter getting his Olympic
Bronze
taken away. He was robbed!
--
Marty

Where does he train?

And, assuming there is one, what's the best place to ski in Britain?

http://www.alainbaxter.co.uk/alain/

I didn't check, but maybe it's in there.
--
Marty