START kick scotch tape???

Old December 5th 03, 08:33 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default START kick scotch tape???

Corrections:
-The solvent in Cerax is alcohol based, so it is a mild solvent for
wax
-Cerax does not clog up skis or hurt the base in any way. Simply
rewaxing with a coat or two of regular wax removed the Cerax since it
exchanges the base wax to which Cerax adheres.

It's interesting that I've heard two reps from Toko present info on
Cerax that is clearly wrong (I assume in an effort to discredit
Cerax). According to the chemist who developed Cerax, back in 1999 (as
I remember) one of the Toko chemists said that they had worked on
liquid waxes for years without success, and he complemented the Cerax
chemist for developing it.

Jay Wenner

"shreddir" wrote in message news:RYTyb.388016$Tr4.1137190@attbi_s03...
Uh-oh?! I just purchased some bottles of Cerax at our store because they
got marked down (last years stock). Never heard about this clogging
problem. I was hoping that this was the secret weapon all those German
biathalon athletes had last year since they almost always seem to have fast
skis. Does this mean all the Canadian racers who were raving about Cerax on
their website have now dumped the stuff? Should I go back to the customer
service counter and get a refund?

"Rob Bradlee" wrote in message
o.com...

Perhaps other wax companies have tried the tape concept and not been
able to make it work. Look at liquid waxes. Cerax sounded great, but
it turned out to have too strong a solvent in it and clogged the base
necessitating stone-grinding after a few applications. It's very
tricky to make a good liquid wax. (I think Toko has succeeded with
Helx, but that's another story).

Rob Bradlee
Toko Tech Team

Old December 11th 03, 09:55 AM
Gary Jacobson

I asked Zach too, and as he will soon grind my skis that have been used
solely with Cerax, he hopes to be able to provide me with information about
the condition of the base.

I'll let folks know what he says.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"Rob Bradlee" wrote in message
o.com...

--- Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

I don't understand the big deal here. Swix Cera F is well known to
seal ski bases when applied by iron and it's been around for years.
A ski that's had Cera F ironed in has to be pealed or ground
afterward
in order to get its pores fully cleaned if you want to take it back
to a hydrocarbon wax. Some skiers solve this by just dedicating one
pair of skis to Cera F. Anyway I haven't heard of any shops that
have
stopped selling Cera F because of this.

I specifically aske the World Cup tech about this issue. It was his
opinion that fluorocarbons do not seal the base permanently. Clean
waxing with paraffin will remove the fluorocarbon and permit re-waxing
with paraffins and fluorinated paraffins. So, that's my current
understanding of this issue. I'll ask Zach about it this weekend.

Rob Bradlee
Toko Tech Team