White Grass, WV?

Old October 15th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default White Grass, WV?

Looks like I will be moving from CA to DC next fall.

Just heard about White Grass ski area in WV. When do they usually open
in the fall/winter (a dataset of the opening/closing dates for the
last ~10 years would be perfect ) and when do they usually close?
Having skied in upstate NY for ~6 years, even there good skiing is a
bit of a crapshoot... so I was surprised to learn about a XC place in
WV.
Old October 16th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Oct 15, 6:55*pm, Bob Schwartz
Looks like I will be moving from CA to DC next fall.

Just heard about White Grass ski area in WV. When do they usually open
in the fall/winter (a dataset of the opening/closing dates for the
last ~10 years would be perfect ) and when do they usually close?
Having skied in upstate NY for ~6 years, even there good skiing is a
bit of a crapshoot... so I was surprised to learn about a XC place in
WV.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/

Several years of national and regional climate animations, including
snow depth.

Bob Schwartz

What an awesome website!

Looks like half of their precipitation from Nov 15th to Apr 15th came
as rain (in water equivalents?), and last season there were two
skiable periods, with a total meltdown in between. Well, this is in
Davis, WV (station BKBW2) who knows - there could be local
variability.

I have saved two graphs to illustrate - one for precipitation and one
for snow depth:

http://picasaweb.google.com/runcycle...16741469622258
http://picasaweb.google.com/runcycle...16744931107890
Old October 16th 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Another cool web site for more current climate data:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

That is where you can download climate layers for Google Earth.
Move the transparency slider all the way to the left, find your
trail, and then remove the transparency to see the climate layer
you've chosen.

Bob Schwartz