Ski area signage

Old January 18th 04, 05:00 AM
Brian Rue

Default Ski area signage

Hello all,

I've always wanted to have an authentic ski area "Cliffs and Extremely
Difficult Terrain: Not a Trail or Run" sign, but I don't want to just
steal one, since not only would that be illegal, but would unmark a
marked area--I don't want to do that. But I also don't want to just
buy a sign and have that--I want a real, weathered, authentic one. My
question is this: If I were to _replace_ a ski patrol sign with a new,
identical one, would it be considered acceptable? Would a ski
patroller be likely to have a big issue with that? Is it somewhat
likely that the patroller would be fine with my actions? Should I ask
first, or would I just be laughed at?

Thanks for your insight.
Brian Rue
Old January 18th 04, 07:13 PM
Sue

In message , Brian Rue
writes
Hello all,

I've always wanted to have an authentic ski area "Cliffs and Extremely
Difficult Terrain: Not a Trail or Run" sign, but I don't want to just
steal one, since not only would that be illegal, but would unmark a
marked area--I don't want to do that. But I also don't want to just
buy a sign and have that--I want a real, weathered, authentic one. My
question is this: If I were to _replace_ a ski patrol sign with a new,
identical one, would it be considered acceptable? Would a ski
patroller be likely to have a big issue with that? Is it somewhat
likely that the patroller would be fine with my actions? Should I ask
first, or would I just be laughed at?

It's only as illegal as stealing "Shoplifters will be Prosecuted" signs.

True, it'd be morally wrong to leave the hazard unmarked, and getting
the owners' permission would be socially unacceptable, so you must
procure a new sign and switch it for the old one without being seen.

If you can't engineer this simple theft (it's still technically illegal)
you don't deserve to have the sign.

NB choose your target sign carefully, taking into account both its
artistic patina and ease of removal, before you start the project.

Thanks for your insight.

Nobody in this group has any insight, but I know someone who's got lots
of "Shoplifters will be Prosecuted" signs.

--
Sue ];(
Old January 18th 04, 07:48 PM
scottabe

in article , Sue at
lid wrote on 1/18/04 12:23 PM:

In message , scottabe
writes
in article
, Brian Rue at
wrote on 1/17/04 10:00 PM:

Hello all,

I've always wanted to have an authentic ski area "Cliffs and Extremely
Difficult Terrain: Not a Trail or Run" sign, but I don't want to just
steal one, since not only would that be illegal, but would unmark a
marked area--I don't want to do that. But I also don't want to just
buy a sign and have that--I want a real, weathered, authentic one. My
question is this: If I were to _replace_ a ski patrol sign with a new,
identical one, would it be considered acceptable? Would a ski
patroller be likely to have a big issue with that? Is it somewhat
likely that the patroller would be fine with my actions? Should I ask
first, or would I just be laughed at?

Thanks for your insight.
Brian Rue

Why not just offer a patroller a half rack for a used sign? They got plenty
of the suckers in the shack. Bet that would work. Might have to go full
rack, but you'd be surprised what a patroller will do for beer.
Reminds me of an old friend who was a pro at Alpental. He snagged a bunch
of trail signs that decorate his property.

Well, that's practical, but how could you stoop so low?

How could you decorate your home with a sign that you never saw grazing
in the wild, didn't stalk with skill and cunning, that wasn't the focus
of your thrill of the chase?

He was a pro patroller. He saw cows like YOU grazing in the wild, pulled
your fat ass out of danger with skill and cunning, and felt the thrill of
the chase as he pulled your lift ticket.
He earned them.
Not to mention he snagged them after they changed all the signage to more
modern materials. Nice wood, well weathered.

Old January 19th 04, 05:30 PM
klaus

Sue wrote:

True, it'd be morally wrong to leave the hazard unmarked, and getting
the owners' permission would be socially unacceptable, Snip

Socially unacceptable? Your patrol must be different. Here they
would'nt care. New sign for old? Why not?

-klaus

Old January 21st 04, 08:27 PM
Sue

In message , klaus
writes
Sue wrote:

True, it'd be morally wrong to leave the hazard unmarked, and getting
the owners' permission would be socially unacceptable, Snip

Socially unacceptable? Your patrol must be different. Here they
would'nt care. New sign for old? Why not?

Because then he wouldn't have stolen it, which is essential for its
credibility as a home furnishing.

Scott's suggestion is OK though because the employee would be stealing
and the OP would be receiving the stolen goods.

Anyone who's in moral doubt can test their standing he

http://quizilla.com/users/vizz/quizz...Go%20To%20Hell
%3F/
--
Sue ];(