Love bumps, can't ski them

Old January 14th 06, 08:51 PM

Default Love bumps, can't ski them

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

Trying to find anything with Google was interesting but not productive.

--
Sue ]

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines
Old January 14th 06, 10:06 PM

Just watch some ski movies...on TV, video, whatever....
First of all, it helps to be a good parallel skier, fearless, strong
and loose legs, and good fall line technique.
Start on steeper intermediate slopes with long, rolling bumps,
concentrate on 5 consecutive turns without a miss, without sideslipping
over any of them.
Find the path thru the valley, basically, without going wide either
side, staying in the fall line.
Work up to progressively steeper slopes.
By the time you have skied about 300 days, you should be able to ride
down most mogul runs which are not icy, not tough, and not too steep.

Old January 14th 06, 10:43 PM

Sue wrote:

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?

Weight forward, skis together, pressure the shovels, repeat.

Problems people have:
()Weight back: skis scoot out from under you, you're always scrambling
(and failing) to get back on top of the skis...
()Skis apart: skis end up on the bump side, at different levels, toss
the skier, you're always scrambling (and failing) to get back on top of
the skis...
()No shovel pressu skis wander, take own path, scoot out, you're
always scrambling (and failing) to get back on top of the skis...
()No repeatability: moguls come one after another, there's no rest, you
have to be able and committed to driving immediately into the next
mogul, otherwise skis wander, take own path, scoot out, you're always
scrambling (and failing) to get back on top of the skis...
Old January 14th 06, 11:11 PM

Sue wrote:
Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

Trying to find anything with Google was interesting but not productive.

--
Sue ]

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines

Sue,

Lito Tejada-Flores is a great ski instructor (imho) who has written a
few books and produced a few videos. I've found both very helpful.
Here's the link to his website.

http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/index.html

Chris

Old January 14th 06, 11:12 PM

In article .com,
"LeeD" wrote:

Just watch some ski movies...on TV, video, whatever....
First of all, it helps to be a good parallel skier, fearless, strong
and loose legs, and good fall line technique.
Start on steeper intermediate slopes with long, rolling bumps,
concentrate on 5 consecutive turns without a miss, without sideslipping
over any of them.
Find the path thru the valley, basically, without going wide either
side, staying in the fall line.

I can't agree with this.

The path through the valley is the fastest line through the moguls and
most beginning mogul skiers will get going far to fast for their comfort.

Work up to progressively steeper slopes.
By the time you have skied about 300 days, you should be able to ride
down most mogul runs which are not icy, not tough, and not too steep.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 14th 06, 11:14 PM

"Sue" wrote in message

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

I can't ski them either but like trying. I was lucky enough a couple of
years ago to sign up for an advanced group lesson and turned out to be the
only one there. Instructor took me all over and we ended in a bump run.
Best advice he gave me was to stick my tips DOWN into the next "hole". it
sounded strange to me then but it worked well.

Old January 14th 06, 11:16 PM

In article ,
Sue wrote:

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

Trying to find anything with Google was interesting but not productive.

Make sure you start out on an intermediate mogul run where there is an
area above the run where you can establish a good turn rhythm. Keep your
chest and shoulders facing downhill as you make short radius turns with
good pole plants.

When you hit the bumps, aim to finish each turn so that you go over the
"flank" of the bump; not right over the top, not in the troughs. If
you're finishing a left turn, you go over the left flank of the bump,
pole plant as the bump naturally compresses you and turn right to aim at
the right flank of the bump below it.

Remember to keep your head up and think about your line as you just keep
the poleplants (and thus, the turns) coming.

Old January 15th 06, 12:09 AM

"love bumps"?

Isn't that a Black Eyed Peas song?

Old January 15th 06, 03:39 PM

Sue wrote:

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

Trying to find anything with Google was interesting but not productive.

The best advice I ever got was in 2 parts:

1. Look 5 turns ahead
2. The action in your legs should be like you are riding a bicylcle
backwards but you should still be attacking.

Also, do all the stuff the other responders said.
Old January 15th 06, 03:55 PM

"Glareice" wrote in message
Sue wrote:

Can anyone explain how to ski bumps?
Or are there any websites that might help?

Trying to find anything with Google was interesting but not productive.

The best advice I ever got was in 2 parts:

1. Look 5 turns ahead

That's fine, but I usually fall on the third bump.