Twin Cities question

Old October 31st 04, 04:30 AM
Camilo

Default Twin Cities question

Hi: I'm traveling to the Twin Cities next week to visit. I'm wondering if
anyone can steer me to someplace that I could do some good hill walking or
ski walking? I'd rather do something like this -more ski specific rather
than just jog. I'm really not a runner, and do it only when alternatives
aren't possible.

A park with some rolling hills, or better yet, somehwere that has some long
sustained moderate to steep uphill for ski walking. Around where I live
there are hills that can provide a good 40 - 50 minute uphill walk, and
ideally it would be nice to find something similar, but I suspect that's
going to be tough in MN. If there's anything like 2 or 3 miles, that would
be terrific.

A friend mentioned Highland (?) saying he'd done some work outs there. I'm
not sure what/where he's talking about. I'm wondering if (assuming there's
no snow) the downhill areas would allow walking on their slopes?

Are there any places along the Mississippi or Minnesota river valleys where
there's some accessible long uphill paths?

Are there any XC trails that I could at least do some power walking or
running on?

I just enjoy hill walking so much more than plain old running on the flats.
I've done some running around the place I'll be staying, but it's pretty
much flat (a trail on an old rail bed).

I'll be in the western suburbs, (Plymouth / Wayzata area) but will have
wheels and would be happy to drive somewhere else. I've got some
significant down time during a couple/three days.

Thanks much in advance.

Cam

Old October 31st 04, 11:55 PM
Bob Larson

The hyland workouts you mentioned are at hyland hills downhill
ski area, which is on the SW side of the Twin Cities. 8:30 am
on Saturdays. The public is welcome, according to the info
on skinnyski.com, though membership is required if you
attend regularly. See skinnyski.com for info and pictures.
The hill there is steep and long, maybe 3 minute walk to the top.
The workout is a blast. Bring poles for dryland.

For a two mile uphill, you could head way over to Afton, MN.
If you don't mind walking with traffic, just park in Afton
and hike the highway south for a two mile gradual up.
Or drive south from Afton to Afton State Park where you can find
more hills to hike (St. Croix River valley). -Bob

Old November 1st 04, 12:12 PM
Sly D. Skeez

For a two mile uphill, you could head way over to Afton, MN.
If you don't mind walking with traffic, just park in Afton
and hike the highway south for a two mile gradual up.
Or drive south from Afton to Afton State Park where you can find
more hills to hike (St. Croix River valley). -Bob

I'd head to Afton State Park, or the neighboring Afton Ski area. Both
have the same verticle, but the State Park is a little more pleasing
to the eyes and we accept out of town money. (I think it's about $4.)
If you're looking for uphill hikes, I'd say it would be easier to find
that at the ski area. At this time of year, you could follow the mt
bike trails without seeing too many bikers.

Jay Wenner
Old November 10th 04, 06:19 PM
Camilo

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old November 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Jon F

Afton is great if you are in the Eastern metro area, or if you are
willing to drive 40 minutes (assuming no traffic problems), but you
said you are in the Western metro. The hills aren't much to brag
about out here, but there is a really great 10km paved bike/rollerski
trail at Baker Park. The best trail access is in Maple Plain just
north of Hwy 12 on Baker Park Road:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...rch=++Search++

In Plymouth, French Regional Park has 5km of lighted, unpaved
skiing/hiking trails through some low rolling hills. It's no match
for Afton, but a much easier commute. I live a few blocks away, maybe
I'll see you there...
http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...91874913141606

Jon