What supports/profile do you use for waxing fat tele skis?

Old April 9th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

Default What supports/profile do you use for waxing fat tele skis?

I have a nice homemade profile for waxing my skinny skis. I bought an
inexpensive 8ft long 2X8 pine board. Then layed a ski along its length
and traced out the shape/camber of the ski on the board. I then carved
the 2X8 to fit this ski profile, with a deeper cut through the mid
section to clear my bindings. Finally just ahead of, and behind, the
deep binding cut, I drilled a hole through the board. Through these
holes I put a cycling, front-hub quick release. On each side of the
quick release I have a small (maybe 3 inch long) piece of 2X4 also
drilled for the quick release. As I close the quick release, the
pieces of 2X4 clamp onto the side of the ski holding it firmly in
place for waxing, scraping, and brushing. The whole profile is held
vertically by two 1X3 boards nailed perpendicular on its bottom, and
these boards are clamped to my workbench. It is a pleasure to use. My
description sounds complex, but it is really quite a simple effective
tool.

But that is not why I am writing here. I told you all that in
comparison to my problem with waxing fat skis:

Our family fat tele skis have waists ranging from 78 to 101mm wide.
These are a total pain to wax, and I am the family wax technician. I
bought a cheap support something like this, but cheaper
http://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=10558005 It does a poor
job holding the skinnier fat skis and can't even get around the 101mm
waisted fats. Needless to say, the skis are not held firmly and waxing
is not fun or very efficient. I hate to spend alot of money on some
kind of commercial profile for these skis. Waxing is not done very
often for them (once maybe twice a season) and is not so important.
Still I was putting on summer storage wax on some of them today and
was frustrating again. All of these skis have tele bindings
http://www.twentytwodesigns.com/ , so won't work with the alpine
binding profiles that are out there.

What do you use? Have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old April 9th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SMS

Gunde wrote:

What do you use? Have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Two cheap 6" vises with rubber padding glued on.

"http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95203"

It's portable too. You can take the vises with you and clamp them onto a
table, deck railing, etc.

Wait for a sale and you can get them for even less.
Old April 10th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 8, 11:25*pm, Gunde wrote:
[...]

I use the Ski Man vice like yours, only an older model. I notice that
they have one that opens to 125cm for about $190. I seem to recall
when I had a pair of skis with Hammerheads that I could clamp on to
the binding (the metal piece with the holes) and then adjust the end
pieces up. That way the width wouldn't be such an issue for the clamp.
Different story with the end pieces, but maybe workable.