Rule #1

Old April 23rd 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

Default Rule #1

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:55:36 -0700 (PDT), TheOtherGuy
wrote this crap:

Rookie! 35 years ago (1975) I wrote my first program on a Nixdorf
System 800... in machine code! After that torturous exercise we moved
on to Assembly language and finally graduated to bigger systems like
the Nixdorf System 900 using Fortran and COBOL.

Rookie. I wrote assembly language in eight bit bytes, and manually
entered it with dip switches.

LDA load the accumulator with, "A."

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old April 23rd 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TheOtherGuy

On Apr 23, 12:43*pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,

*Walt wrote:
A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:
Walt wrote this crap:

Bull****. *Stop bragging, Walt. *Do you even know what a
non-homogeious matrix is?

Yeah, it's a Toyota with a bad paint job. *What do I win?

Thirty years ago, I wrote a program to calculate the determinate of an
NXN non-honogenious matrix. *That's right. *Any size.

Any size? *I'll bet it didn't work for N = 32,768.

Anyway, 30 years ago I wrote a program to calculate the Ackerman
function. *One of these days that sucker is going to finish execution
and return a value.

30 years ago, I laboriously copied a program out of a magazine to make a
ball bounce around the screen of *THE* TRS-80 at my school. *It had a
"syntax error line 60." *Suck on that noobs!- Hide quoted text -

Rookie! 35 years ago (1975) I wrote my first program on a Nixdorf
System 800... in machine code! After that torturous exercise we moved
on to Assembly language and finally graduated to bigger systems like
the Nixdorf System 900 using Fortran and COBOL.

http://archive.computerhistory.org/r....102646197.pdf

Armin
Old April 23rd 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TheOtherGuy

On Apr 23, 1:55*pm, TheOtherGuy wrote:

Rookie! *35 years ago (1975)

Typo... make that September 1974. :-)
Old April 24th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Walt wrote this crap:

Bull****. Stop bragging, Walt. Do you even know what a
non-homogeious matrix is?

Yeah, it's a Toyota with a bad paint job. What do I win?

Thirty years ago, I wrote a program to calculate the determinate of an
NXN non-honogenious matrix. That's right. Any size.

Any size? I'll bet it didn't work for N = 32,768.

Anyway, 30 years ago I wrote a program to calculate the Ackerman
function. One of these days that sucker is going to finish execution
and return a value.

30 years ago, I laboriously copied a program out of a magazine to make a
ball bounce around the screen of *THE* TRS-80 at my school. It had a
"syntax error line 60." Suck on that noobs!

Ha. My son did stuff like that when he was 12. In assembly language. Before
that he FIXED those BASIC syntax errors.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Let them all go to hell, except Cave 76"
Old April 24th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:58:25 -0400, Walt
wrote this crap:

Where I was, if there was an error, the operator would simply dump your
punch cards all over the floor and laugh derisively as you desperately
tried to put them back in order.

"Punch cards??" Somebody remembers punch cards?

I actually used cards to write an accounting program in FORTRAN. Hey, you use
the tools you have!

I remember changing values on the RESPEC card. And I remember a guy
who put a stack of RESPEC cards into the card reader.

If you punched a hole in a certain column every time it became a comment card
when flipped over. Made debugging a bit easier. Real programmers eschewed
interpreting (Is that what it was called? I mean printing along the top edge.)
the cards.

--
Cheers, Bev
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.
Old April 24th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:

Rookie! 35 years ago (1975) I wrote my first program on a Nixdorf
System 800... in machine code! After that torturous exercise we moved
on to Assembly language and finally graduated to bigger systems like
the Nixdorf System 900 using Fortran and COBOL.

Rookie. I wrote assembly language in eight bit bytes, and manually
entered it with dip switches.

We skipped that stage and bought a high-end model with an actual keyboard. AND,
though you mayn't believe it, a cassette recorder as an upgrade from the paper
tape reader.

LDA load the accumulator with, "A."

That was what programmers did -- resentfully -- when they were required to
comment a certain amount of their code.

I documented **** like that.

Old April 24th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yadda

on 4/23/09 4:28 AM A mighty Hungarian warrior said the following:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:56:17 -0500, Yadda wrote
this crap:

I have an advanced degree in mathematics,

Um. I do too. So don't bull**** me.

and I did provide the
definition of a non-linear function.

I'm familiar with tensor analysis. I'm quite used to non-homogenious
equations. So don't bull**** me.

homogenious? You mean homogeneous.

Maybe you didn't understand that
because you are short a few needed brain cells.

That's uncalled for. Not everyone is equipped with our brain
functions. Treat everyone with respect, dumbass.

Let's fight in Hilbert Space! I will hit you from infinitely
uncountable dimensions and you will only see my shadow!

B either way the
aging Western World is going down! BTW I like your "//" as it means
comment me out. So you understand yourself better than you realize.

What's that mean, Yadda?

Old April 24th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Yadda wrote:
on 4/23/09 4:28 AM A mighty Hungarian warrior said the following:

I'm familiar with tensor analysis. I'm quite used to non-homogenious
equations. So don't bull**** me.

homogenious? You mean homogeneous.

Careful there, cowboy. You're dealing with a man who knows his
homomorphisms from his homology groups. Don't **** him off.

I'm just saying...

//Walt

Old April 24th 09, 08:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:04:32 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

"Punch cards??" Somebody remembers punch cards?

I actually used cards to write an accounting program in FORTRAN.

I wrote in FORTRAN before you were born, little girl. That's
leadership.

Old April 24th 09, 08:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:10:13 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Rookie. I wrote assembly language in eight bit bytes, and manually
entered it with dip switches.

We skipped that stage and bought a high-end model with an actual keyboard. AND,
though you mayn't believe it, a cassette recorder as an upgrade from the paper
tape reader.

I HAD my own cassette recorder, dumbass. I also wrote programs on a
paper tape reader in baudot, dumbass rookie.

LDA load the accumulator with, "A."

That was what programmers did -- resentfully -- when they were required to
comment a certain amount of their code.

I documented **** like that.

Listen up, little girl. I wrote programs for the internet before
anyone heard of Algore.

That's what leadership is all about. And vote for Palin-Ahhhnold in
2012 period.