Does anyone sell COLORed p-tex?

Old February 7th 05, 06:33 PM
todd

Default Does anyone sell COLORed p-tex?

I've looked around the web quite a bit and can only find p-tex in
clear, black, and one place that had it in red.

Does anyone sell p-tex in more colors?

I realize this is one of those function vs. color things, but, I get my
fair share of dings and would like to match the manufacturer's base
color as best I can. Right now I need a royal blue color. If I can't
find it, yes, I'll use clear. Just figured I'd ask before I start up
the patchwork on a new board.

For the record, I found what seem like good instructions for at-home
p-tex repairs;
http://www.offpistemag.com/themag/ge...aserepair.html

Thanks,
-todd

Old February 7th 05, 07:40 PM
bri719

todd wrote:

For the record, I found what seem like good instructions for at-home
p-tex repairs;
http://www.offpistemag.com/themag/ge...aserepair.html

Snowboard has a good article this month....it could have been last, but
if I recall it was the latest one I got.

at any rate, they have a good explanation and diagrams.

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 8th 05, 01:55 AM

There was a similar thread at DC Ski a montha a half ago.

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads22/sh...true#Post11281

or

http://tinyurl.com/5lrdb

Twin58 said (and I'm editing some):

AFAIK, downhill skis, cross-country skis and snowboards all have
polyethylene bases. In addition to using the official P-tex sticks, you
can cut up cole slaw or potato salad containers, motor oil bottles, or
half-gallon or one gallon milk jugs for polyethylene stock. Check the
bottom for the recycling symbol. If it's a 2 surrounded by the three
arrows with the letters HDPE nearby, that's high-density polyethylene.
You can melt it down to repair gouges in the bases of your favorite
snow sliding devices. Been there; done that.

HDPE from motor oil bottles, being various colors, would give your
bases an exciting, Martha Stewart effect. You have a choice of Exxon
red, Chevron blue, Texaco black, Quaker State green, and a whole
rainbow of other colors.So far, I've stuck with basic white.

http://www.designinsite.dk/htmsider/m0002.htm

Old February 8th 05, 02:45 AM
Mike T

I realize this is one of those function vs. color things, but, I get my
fair share of dings and would like to match the manufacturer's base
color as best I can. Right now I need a royal blue color. If I can't
find it, yes, I'll use clear. Just figured I'd ask before I start up
the patchwork on a new board.

I've used clear ptex on many different bases and the *only* ones where the
repair is visually obvious after finishing are on black bases. Red, blue,
yellow, brown, tan - looked fine.

Old February 8th 05, 03:18 AM
todd

That's GREAT info. Thanks. Didn't realize that most plastic contains
would work fine. Good to know. I think Mobil Oil containers are just
the ticket (if I don't go with clear).

Old February 9th 05, 04:21 AM

Fashion hint: if you want orange HDPE, try Liquid Tide containers.

Imagine a base with rainbow stripes. It's a good thing.

Old February 14th 05, 03:31 PM
todd

Okay, I took the suggestions and went out and tried melting the clear
p-tex stick with a Propane blowtorch (blue tank) instead of lighting
the stick. While it was better than lighting it and I didn't get any
black carbon, I did still get some brown in most of the drips. Any
other tips on keeping the clear p-tex "clear"? It wasn't enough
contaminent that you would have seen it with black p-tex, obviously,
but on one of my repairs the brown is visible.

I did two base repairs. One was a 3/4 inch scratch that filled nicely.
The other was small but deep. When I would drip p-tex in that hole
(only 1 or 2 drips) the p-tex surface would crack when it dried. Even
with only 1 drip this still happaned. Any tips?

Regarding the suggestion to use colored plastic containers (with HDPE,
#2 symbol) I didn't have luck there. I actually found some blue
containers and did some sample melts of this plastic. While it looked
okay, the quality of the plastic was not the same as the p-tex sticks.
After the plastic dried it was very brittle (chipped off easily) as
opposed to the p-tex sticks that still let you easily scrape or shave
off extra material. I'm glad I tested it first and would recommend
anyone else do the same. I could see this working, perhaps, if you had
a large area to patch and you put clear p-tex on top of the color.
Either way I still had some brown residue in the colored drips.

Thanks,
-todd

Old February 14th 05, 09:10 PM

Oh, well. Sorry about that. There must be some plasticizers in the
p-tex sticks that were not present in the empty Mobil or whatever
containers.

To keep the p-tex clean, you could try melting scraps of it in an
eentsy-beentsy saucepan over a flame, rather than applying the flame
directly to the p-tex.