Northern Vermont or Montreal BC or XC skiing?

Old February 6th 06, 12:39 PM

Default Northern Vermont or Montreal BC or XC skiing?

Might have the opportunity to visit in the area surrounding Burlington
(Vermont) and Montreal sometime in March.
Any suggestion for excuses to bring my BC 'lite' skis?

Old February 6th 06, 12:56 PM

Any suggestion for excuses to bring my BC 'lite' skis?

Are you interested particularly in backcountry (or "lite" backcountry)
skiing, or would you consider skiing on groomed trails?

March is borderline for Vermont in an average year, and, so far, this
year has been far worse than average. For example, as of today, there
is only limited skiing available on groomed trails (Craftsbury is open,
probably Stowe Mountain Resort, possibly Bolton Valley).

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont
Old February 6th 06, 01:58 PM

"Lew Lasher" wrote in message
Any suggestion for excuses to bring my BC 'lite' skis?

Are you interested particularly in backcountry (or "lite" backcountry)
skiing, or would you consider skiing on groomed trails?

March is borderline for Vermont in an average year, and, so far, this year
has been far worse than average. For example, as of today, there is only
limited skiing available on groomed trails (Craftsbury is open, probably
Stowe Mountain Resort, possibly Bolton Valley).

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

My preference would be either! That is, I'd be happy on tracks at a center,
or I could also do a scenic trail with some modest hills. I'm skiing metal
edged light BC skis (right around 70mm max and with a bit of sidecut) and
learning how to tele turn, so all options on the nordic end of the spectrum
are welcome. No epic hills, skinning, etc.

Mostly I'm hoping to find some good options on the north end of the state,
as I'll be flying into Brattleboro and possibly driving up to Montreal.

We've also had an awful winter in the mid-atlantic and that's part of the
incentive to bring skis on this business trip!

Thanks

Old February 7th 06, 12:24 AM

I'd be happy on tracks at a center,
or I could also do a scenic trail with some modest hills. I'm skiing metal
edged light BC skis (right around 70mm max and with a bit of sidecut) and
learning how to tele turn, so all options on the nordic end of the spectrum
are welcome. No epic hills, skinning, etc.

Mostly I'm hoping to find some good options on the north end of the state,
as I'll be flying into Brattleboro and possibly driving up to Montreal.

(I assume you meant Burlington, rather than Brattleboro.)

The closest ski touring center to Burlington is Sleepy Hollow in
Huntington (see http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/nordicskiing.html). If
they're open, they're probably your best bet. Next after that is Bolton
Valley (http://www.boltonvalley.com/winter/nordic.htm), which has a
small set of groomed trails and a larger set of challenging
backcountry-style trails. There proably won't be enough snow to ski the
backcountry-style trails. But, since the groomed trails are at
relatively high elevation, they may have a better chance of having snow
than other places. If neither Sleepy Hollow nor Bolton Valley has
enough snow, Stowe is about an hour from Burlington. (Craftsbury and
Hazen's Notch are even further.)

Old February 7th 06, 12:36 AM

"Lew Lasher" wrote in message
I'd be happy on tracks at a center, or I could also do a scenic trail
with some modest hills. I'm skiing metal edged light BC skis (right
around 70mm max and with a bit of sidecut) and learning how to tele turn,
so all options on the nordic end of the spectrum are welcome. No epic
hills, skinning, etc.

Mostly I'm hoping to find some good options on the north end of the
state, as I'll be flying into Brattleboro and possibly driving up to
Montreal.

(I assume you meant Burlington, rather than Brattleboro.)

arghh.... where's ma'brain!

The closest ski touring center to Burlington is Sleepy Hollow in
Huntington (see http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/nordicskiing.html). If
they're open, they're probably your best bet. Next after that is Bolton
Valley (http://www.boltonvalley.com/winter/nordic.htm), which has a small
set of groomed trails and a larger set of challenging backcountry-style
trails. There proably won't be enough snow to ski the backcountry-style
trails. But, since the groomed trails are at relatively high elevation,
they may have a better chance of having snow than other places. If
neither Sleepy Hollow nor Bolton Valley has enough snow, Stowe is about an
hour from Burlington. (Craftsbury and Hazen's Notch are even further.)

many thanks for the tips.
now if we would just get some snow :-0

Old February 8th 06, 12:57 AM

Lew Lasher wrote:

... as of today, there
is only limited skiing available on groomed trails (Craftsbury is open,
probably Stowe Mountain Resort, possibly Bolton Valley).

Some improvement since yesterday: Stowe and Craftsbury reported 5" of
new snow, Bolton Valley 3". Trapp reopened. Bolton Valley has minimal
terrain open. Sleepy Hollow still closed.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Northern Sweden great place for cross country skiing Achord Nordic Skiing 0 January 9th 05 08:50 PM
Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
Skiing in Vermont - No Whiners Please. UtahSkierNotAshamed Alpine Skiing 32 May 20th 04 03:26 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM