Halfway point between Royal Gorge, CA and Bend, Oregon with decentskiing?

Old January 30th 10, 09:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Chris Cole

Default Halfway point between Royal Gorge, CA and Bend, Oregon with decentskiing?

Hi guys,

Currently planning a road trip from San Fransisco - Royal Gorge -
Bend, Oregon - McCall, Idaho - Silverstar, BC for early 2011,
intending to stop and ski for 3 to 5 days at each pitstop.

The drive from Truckee up to Bend seems like one I'd want to break up if
I can, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a nice place to stop
around half-way (somewhere in far northern California?) with easily
accessible trails? (I'll be on skates only).

Cheers,
Chris

Old February 1st 10, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Jan 30, 2:51*am, Chris Cole wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently planning a road trip from San Fransisco - Royal Gorge -
Bend, Oregon - McCall, Idaho - Silverstar, BC for early 2011,
intending to stop and ski for 3 to 5 days at each pitstop.

The drive from Truckee up to Bend seems like one I'd want to break up if
I can, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a nice place to stop
around half-way (somewhere in far northern California?) with easily
accessible trails? (I'll be on skates only).

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

If you drive from Royal Gorge via Interstate 5, try Mt. Shasta Nordic.
http://www.mtshastanordic.org/

Leaving Mt. Shasta, take US 97 just north of I-5 to Bend.

As an aside, when in the Tahoe area, you may want to try Tahoe Donner
XC near Trukee, CA during one of your 3 to 5 days in California.

Edgar
Old February 1st 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
lastnord

On Jan 30, 2:51*am, Chris Cole wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently planning a road trip from San Fransisco - Royal Gorge -
Bend, Oregon - McCall, Idaho - Silverstar, BC for early 2011,
intending to stop and ski for 3 to 5 days at each pitstop.

The drive from Truckee up to Bend seems like one I'd want to break up if
I can, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a nice place to stop
around half-way (somewhere in far northern California?) with easily
accessible trails? (I'll be on skates only).

Cheers,
Chris

I would go to into the basin and ski Tahoe City XC and then Tahoe
Donner in Truckee. Better grooming and terrain.

Old February 3rd 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

AFAIK Mt Shasta Nordic (that Edgar suggests) is the only place with skate
lane grooming near the Californian / Oregon border. As to Tahoe Donner XC I
have always been partial to them because of their support for collegiate,
high school teams, local citizen racers and general friendliness of the
staff ; however there is a reason why the terrain and sheer number of trails
makes Royal Gorge the host of our nationally recognized California Gold Rush
50k Marathon which I cannot deny.

cheers

Old February 9th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

lastnord wrote:
On Jan 30, 2:51 am, Chris Cole wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently planning a road trip from San Fransisco - Royal Gorge -
Bend, Oregon - McCall, Idaho - Silverstar, BC for early 2011,
intending to stop and ski for 3 to 5 days at each pitstop.

The drive from Truckee up to Bend seems like one I'd want to break up if
I can, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a nice place to stop
around half-way (somewhere in far northern California?) with easily
accessible trails? (I'll be on skates only).

Cheers,
Chris

I would go to into the basin and ski Tahoe City XC and then Tahoe
Donner in Truckee. Better grooming and terrain.

I'll put in my votes for Tahoe Donner and Tahoe XC (Burton Creek State
Park, in the summer). Tahoe XC has particularly pleasant trails and a
couple of nice views of Lake Tahoe.

If you were staying a little longer, I would also suggest Spooner Lake -
just to add variety. It's about an hour from Donner Pass, on the Nevada
side of Lake Tahoe. Spooner has one long trail up to some spectacular
views and a few very small loops on the flats.

Bob