Accommodation suggestions for North American wordloppet races?

Old April 7th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Chris Cole

Default Accommodation suggestions for North American wordloppet races?

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest some convenient but relatively cheap accommodation
for both the US Birkie in Hayward, WI, and the Canadian Keskinada,
respectively?

Backpacker/hostel type accommodation is fine, but having our own toilet
is a plus.

Hoping to head up there for both races in 2008.

Cheers,
Chris & Denise

Old April 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

For the Birkie, no hostels that I know of, but lots of people with an
extra room or two, plus local resorts and such. Sometime before the
race, email the office for the housing list (spreadsheet). Also
the bulletin board or forum should be back up next year and I've come up
with good offers posting there.

Old April 8th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

You've got tons of choice for the Keski. If you want to go budget
downtown ottawa:
http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/ottawa.html

If you want to go comforable business hotel within 10 minute drive of
Gagtineau Park (where the Keski is held): Holiday Inn, Plaza La
Chaudière, or Best Western Cartier Hôtel & Centre de Conférence

Personally, I would rent a car to get around and stay at Albert House
Inn in downtown Ottawa. http://www.albertinn.com/ That way you have
access to all the downtown and Winterlude activities and can go to
many of the different entry points to the Gatineau Park.

One other thing you may want to consider if you're coming all the way
to the Ottawa region is to come earlier and participate in the
Canadian Ski Martahon. If you're a classical skier you can do sections
of the CSM which is held the weekend before the Keski as a warm up on
some of the most beautiful skiing terrain around, mainly on private
lands opened up just one weekend a year for the CSM:
http://www.csm-mcs.com/about_the_ski...t_the_csm.html

Feel free to drop me an email if you need more info.

Parham.

Old April 8th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 8 Apr 2007 09:03:51 -0700, "Eddy Rapid"
wrote:

You've got tons of choice for the Keski. If you want to go budget
downtown ottawa:
http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/ottawa.html

If you want to go comforable business hotel within 10 minute drive of
Gagtineau Park (where the Keski is held): Holiday Inn, Plaza La
Chaudière, or Best Western Cartier Hôtel & Centre de Conférence

Personally, I would rent a car to get around and stay at Albert House
Inn in downtown Ottawa. http://www.albertinn.com/ That way you have
access to all the downtown and Winterlude activities and can go to
many of the different entry points to the Gatineau Park.

One other thing you may want to consider if you're coming all the way
to the Ottawa region is to come earlier and participate in the
Canadian Ski Martahon.

Or another thing to do, if you have time, is plan on spending a few
more days in the area after the race and just skiing Gatineau park.
It's a tremendous place for skiing

http://www.jt10000.com/galleries/win...atineau062.htm

I think downtown Ottawa is a good place to stay as a tourist - lots to
see, places to eat, etc. Just hope for warming (about -20C!!!!)
weather to make the tourism more tolerable.

--
JT