Boots for roller skiing

Old May 3rd 06, 06:50 PM

Default Boots for roller skiing

Hi,

Just got my first ever roller skis and am having a blast. However, my
boots are killing me. They are Alpina touring boots, and at least one
size too big even for basic classic stuff. You can imagine how wobbly
they feel on wheels. On roller skis, I'm mostly doing skating since
classic feels too unstable on them. Plus, I got really interested in
the skating technique once I got a lesson in it this past winter after
a whole life of classic.

So, my question is - should I buy boots just for rollerskiing or try
and get something that I can use on real skis as well? I don't have
skating skis and am not sure I will buy them any time soon.

Can it be any skating boot or a particularly stiff one? I can see a
need for one given that you don't have the same stability on wheels.
Which brand? My choice here is somewhat limited by NNN bindings that
I've got.

What kind of sock generally goes into a skating boot? For my usual
skiing so far, I've used a pretty thick sock over a thin liner which
was great for touring stuff in the winter. Not sure how it goes with
skating.

Thanks,

Larry

Old May 4th 06, 12:29 AM

Glad to hear you are enjoying rollerskiing!

Since pretty much everyone I know uses Salomon, I can't give you any
specific NNN boot recomendations.

A boot that is closer to the racing line will generally provide more
stability both on snow and on rollerskis. If you are skating on
difficult terrain, like streets with traffic or sharp corners, a
skating boot with good stability is a definate bonus. I have found
that having a properly-fitted, stable skating boot makes a huge
difference for rollerskiing.

If you're not planning on buying skating skis any time soon, there
isn't much point to spending lots of money on a new pair of boots
(unless you're loaded). It might be worth looking around to see if you
can find a used pair of racing skate boots.

I personally wear the same socks rollerskiing as I would snow skiing
because otherwise my boots would be too loose. The only advice I can
give here is to try thick and thin socks and see which one works better
while keeping in mind temperature & confort, blister protection, and
filling in your boot.

Colin

Old May 4th 06, 02:39 AM

"Larry" wrote in message
oups.com...

So, my question is - should I buy boots just for rollerskiing or try
and get something that I can use on real skis as well? I don't have
skating skis and am not sure I will buy them any time soon.

You seem most interested in skating, so some of what I have to say may not
benefit you as it might others with NNN and interested in classic roller
skiing.

I often use mesh roller ski boots from Italy that have more support than a
regular classic boot, but less than a skate boot. These are "Nordic Roller"
brand. I can hook people up with the supplier if they are interested. Just
contact me off news group.

Having said that I suggest that you get a midline skate boot and use it for
both until you want something better for snow.

And now another offer: If you or anyone else out there is a small 10 or like
43.5 I can send you a pair of Rossi skate boots with a delaminated sole. It
can be fixed by a competant repair person. I know because I've had Sportful
boots with the same problem repaired. The fee is just shipping costs. Rossi
boots offer just enough support, and I think will help a person learn to
skate better than they would if they relied on a lot of support. Just my
opinion.

I have used new first line boots for roller skiing, but have regretted it.
Roller skiing really beats boots up.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old May 6th 06, 12:59 PM

Larry,

I'm a personal fan of Rossi combi boots for classic snow and
rollerskiing. They seem to have enough forward flex to not interfer
with proper technique and I find the extra lateral ankle support to be
very helpful with downhill stability in snow and stability in any
conditions on wheels. Plus you can certainly skate effectively with
them -- not as good as with true skating boots, but MUCH better I would
think than with your touring boots.

Also, if you bite on Gary's offer of his Rossi skate boots you will not
be disappointed. I have the same boot and I really love them for
skating on snow and on wheels. They are a true skating boot with
minimal flex in the sole so you would not want to use them for classic.

Jim

gary jacobson wrote:
oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys.

I actually tried the Nordic Roller boot, but the dealer didn't have my
size (which is around 46). So I ended up ordering a couple of
entry-level skate Rossis X6 from REI with delivery to their store (free
shipping and returns) so that I can try them on and choose the pair
that fits. I guess at less than 50 bucks I can't go too wrong even if
they turn out to be not so great.

Old May 10th 06, 09:09 PM

Hi,

I can't find the "Nordic-Roller" brand on internet. Could you please
give us more information ?

Thanks.

Old May 11th 06, 03:21 AM

I'd suggest looking at the closeout boots at www.gearwest.com, or the
bargain boots at www.ernordic.com. There are some great deals on "old"
model skate boots that would make for great rollerski equipment. I use
my normal, but dated, Salomon 9.1 RS boots (Yellow/Red) for
rollerskiing and I think they work well.

Old May 17th 06, 02:11 AM

Nordic roller was abrand promoted by LL Bean in the early 80's I think. They
had "roller ski nation" on theirt mind. Then I think Nordic Track took the
brand over. Roller skis were short and rather heavy and had a ratched wheel
in front and interchangable plastic and "rubber wheels". Ski was also
marketed under Rossi brand and perhaps other names too.

Boots made by Sportfull I'm quite certain. They are mesh and have a single
strap around the ankle, as well as laces. They fit like touring boots and
have more support than classic but not enough for skating on roller skis
IMO.

Hans Karlson who operates both High Point Nordic Center in NJ, and Salmon
Hills in NY has a large supply of Nordic roller stuff I think.

If you can't find him, then email me at , and I'll
try to get you hooked up.

I think that the roller skis are reasonable for the cost, and I really like
the boots. Boots are seriously uncool, but Greta Weitz used the stuff.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"Larry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I could never find that name on the web, either. A guy that runs a xc
center in Northern NJ sold me their skis and poles. Since their stuff
cost about half of brand name skis, I didn't try to do a lot of
research and decided to give them a whirl as my first pair.

Old May 17th 06, 04:17 PM

Agreed. Using the X-6 combis and love them, the thermo form fitting is a
godsend.