People who have been to Mountain Creek, NJ

Old March 3rd 06, 07:49 PM

Default People who have been to Mountain Creek, NJ

Ok, so it looks like my friend and I will be going to Mountain Creek
tomorrow.
We will do the 'Salomon Learn to Ski' which gives us a group lesson and
beginner lift ticket and skis.

Couple of questions about the place.

I noticed on the trail map there are 3 mountains: Vernon, Granite and
South.
Which is the best mountain for total beginners?
Which trails on that mountain?

Also, an old coworker told me this, but he is offline now so I cant get
more details (as in which mountain):

"Take the big gondola, it will take you to the top, look for the green
trail... after exiting the gondola, go with the stream, to the right,
then you will see signs to several trails, go for the green one on the
right... it is nice there, not complicated, simple."

Which mountain and trail is this? Know anything about it?

"For a very beginner, go to the lift on the extreme left... it will
take you to the last third of the trail I was talking about"

Which lift/trail is this?

Thanks

Old March 3rd 06, 09:49 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
wrote:

Which is the best mountain for total beginners?
Which trails on that mountain?

Just go take your lesson. You'll know where to go when that's over.

Actually, there are two base areas, South Mountain has a very limited
teaching area and there are really no good first timer trails at that
area. The OP will be much better off going to Vernon for a lesson.
Howerver, Vernon does get more crowded than South so South is usually a
better choice but South also has a pretty steep last drop into the base
area so it's not something you want to do as a first timer.

Also, an old coworker told me this, but he is offline now so I cant get
more details (as in which mountain):

"Take the big gondola, it will take you to the top, look for the green
trail... after exiting the gondola, go with the stream, to the right,
then you will see signs to several trails, go for the green one on the
right... it is nice there, not complicated, simple."

No, DON'T take the big gondola to the top. Don't take ANY lift to the
top. Proceed to ski school. After you and your friend have had a
lesson, you'll know whether you're up for the big gondola to the top.

Friends telling newbies how to ski via email, I swear...

What's wrong with asking a few questions before you go or getting
advice on mountain layout from someone who has been there? I think I
gave the OP some valid advice that will help them enjoy their first
time out.

Old March 4th 06, 01:10 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As previously stated, go to Vernon. While it is a schlep to the lodge/bigtop
from parking since they are building the stupid village and hotel, that is
the place for beginners.
Try to get there early because by 10 am the place is a total zoo on
weekends.
Like Mary said, if you are both newbs, take the lesson first and then take
that lift all the way to your left, facing the hill. That is the Sugar Slope
lift and it goes a few hundred yard and lets you off at a place that is
fairly decent for newbs, after the lesson.
Very wide open slope and they make lots of snow. They have also installed
some barriers just above the lift to keep those flying down from above from
getting in everyone's space on the Sugar Slope.
When you feel you are ready, take the stupid gondola to the top and go to
your right as your buddy said. Just follow the Green Run, Horizon to the
bottom. Keep in mind that this trail is THE major way down for the masses so
be prepared for Stupidville.

I avoid that place on weekends and go to South early on weekends. With a
season pass you can get on the lifts at 8 for an hour before the starting
gun goes off. That way I can be on my way home by eleven if I last that long
due to the crowds.

Dress warm since it is pretty cold out there. I was there this afternoon and
the wind was blowing uphill making for slow going. Supposed to bottom out
near zero tonight.

Have fun and watch your back. It's crazy out there on weekend.

Pops

Old March 5th 06, 07:52 PM

I haven't been to MC in a few years but the thing I remember is how bad
those white temporary inflatable buildings smelled , kinda ruined your
appetite . I wonder if they ever tore them down and put real building in .
But I always went there as a beginner and found it very challenging , but if
I went there now I would probably think it was too easy . But from my
geographical point of view , it was the closest and better than going to the
Pocono's . The 8 hour lift pass was good too in case you don't get there at
exactly 9:00 . And they also had night skiing which is good , weather
permitting of course . I think it used to be called Vernon valley great
gorge .
Ron

oups.com...