broken tip

Old February 4th 05, 08:13 PM
Marc Gwadz

Default broken tip

I snapped 30cm off a ~10 year old pair of Atomic ARC skate skis
(laminate, honeycomb core)- 198 cm btw.

I put my ski description up on brokenski.com , but that may be a long shot.

Is there any way to affix the tip back on, so that I can use them as
rock skis?

any advice greatly appreciated,

Marc
Old February 4th 05, 10:11 PM
gr

Marc Gwadz wrote:
I snapped 30cm off a ~10 year old pair of Atomic ARC skate skis
(laminate, honeycomb core)- 198 cm btw.

I put my ski description up on brokenski.com , but that may be a long shot.

Is there any way to affix the tip back on, so that I can use them as
rock skis?

any advice greatly appreciated,

Marc

Why not epoxy? Can't get any worse!
gr
Old February 4th 05, 10:27 PM
Camilo

"gr" wrote in message
Marc Gwadz wrote:
I snapped 30cm off a ~10 year old pair of Atomic ARC skate skis
(laminate, honeycomb core)- 198 cm btw.

I put my ski description up on brokenski.com , but that may be a long

shot.

Is there any way to affix the tip back on, so that I can use them as
rock skis?

any advice greatly appreciated,

Marc

Why not epoxy? Can't get any worse!

I don't know if this would work with the place yours is busted. Just
putting the broken ends together and gluing won't work. I've seen at least
a couple of skis repaired with a splint (on the top, of course). One guy
epoxied a piece of light weight aluminum, the other guy used what looks like
a rigid piece of fiberglass or kevlar or something like that. Both are happy
with results for training. I think these skis were broken, but not
completely so that the bottom/ptex was still intact. I'd give it a try even
if your's is broken completely through. YOu migith be able to smooth the
bottom and/or drip some ptex into any crack remaining in the base. Good
luck.

Old February 4th 05, 11:15 PM

It's broke all the way thru, huh? I've reglassed and epoxied skis that
have lost all their topsheets...then raced on em for years! Sad but
true. As the other guy posted, just try to glue/glass it all together
then fair the base---if it's snapped all off. JP

Old February 5th 05, 04:57 AM
Timo Salmi

Marc Gwadz wrote:
Is there any way to affix the tip back on, so that I can use them as
rock skis?
any advice greatly appreciated,

Try a pliable, thin metal plate around the tip attached with a
couple of suitable nuts and bolts through.

(Sorry, if this posting is a duplicate. The server was acting up.)

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/ ; FIN-65101, Finland
Cross-country skiing page: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/timoski.html
Old February 5th 05, 01:32 PM
Gary Jacobson

Looking through a pile of ski related reading material while trying to shake
a cold.

Came across a publication by Holmenkollen Ski Museum. It has photos and
descriptions of skis used long ago in different districts in Norways.

The Nordland ski had up turned ends front and rear so that should the tip
break off, the skier could continue on by reversing the ski.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY