Ski trails on Google Earth: Very nice!

Old March 2nd 06, 05:29 PM

Default Ski trails on Google Earth: Very nice!

Take a look at this file (if you have Google Earth):

http://norloff.org/terje/rauland-ski.kmz

Terje
--
-
Old March 3rd 06, 12:48 PM

Terje,

Did you make this? I'm wondering if it needs the premium version of
Google Earth to create files like this. It would be cool to archive
trails from around the world.

chris

Old March 3rd 06, 07:29 PM

BeeCharmer wrote:
Terje,

Did you make this? I'm wondering if it needs the premium version of
Google Earth to create files like this. It would be cool to archive
trails from around the world.

Yes, I did make this from scratch, and NO, I did not need to pay for GE
Plus! :-)

The key is that you need a GPS anyway to collect the track log,
including altitude profiles, right?

Using a Garmin GPS, with a current version of MapSource (the free
companion PC program), I simply downloaded all the tracks from my GPS,
got rid of a few spurious (startup) points, then used the 'View in
Google Earth' option!

Once inside GE I edited the descriptions and names, and changed the
colors for each of the trails I had skied.

Terje

PS. Going back up there tomorrow, I will try to collect one or two of
the still missing trails, like the inner loop of the Silkedalen trail. :-)

--
-

Google Earth and ski area viewing Paul-S8 European Ski Resorts 63 November 16th 16 10:56 AM
Trip Report - Windblown (New Hampshire) - 11 Dec 2005 Lew Lasher Nordic Skiing 0 December 12th 05 12:28 AM
CCC Ski Trails TCS Alpine Skiing 0 July 23rd 04 03:30 AM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
midwest vs. new england trails Mark Eastman Nordic Skiing 33 December 26th 03 01:45 AM