tunes when boarding

Old December 6th 04, 07:09 PM
Drug Buddy

Andy Turner wrote:
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:35:27 GMT, (Mike M.
Miskulin) wrote:

While pondering the Universe,
(David Taylor)
wrote :

Andy Turner wrote on Fri, 3 Dec 2004
16:02:35 +0000 (UTC):

Don't you use your ears for balance though - somehow? Music piped
into them whilst actually boarding might not be ideal. That said,
that's not what the OP said.

Yeah, but unless you feel dizzy when you're listening to music, your
balance isn't affected by sound. Ear infections can cause problems
though.

Ah..mine is and I don't feel dizzy. I'm guessing that the earbuds
can effect the pressure in the ear enough that for some people it
causes balance problems. Now I don't go falling over things when I
use the IPod but I first notice this years ago wearing a walkman
while ice skating. I just never felt as stable crossing over and it
was noticable and reproducible. Now I just make do with what ever
sound is around, and in fact riding on crowded or narror runs its
probably not such a bad thing since I can hear people getting close
to me. Hmmm.. wonder if this could explain a few wrecks I've seen?

I've gotta say, if I were involved in a pile-up where one person was
listening to music and hadn't heard someone coming, I'd be pretty damn
furious. That's the sort of thing that can get you blamed for an
accident even if it wasn't strictly your fault. I wouldn't be
surprised to see them get banned on some slopes.

andyt

Nae offence like, but aren't you all missing the point of the original
post?!?!?? Quote:
"to keep me motivated when riding the lifts up the slopes"
I can understand Brain's post clearly. Unless you're sharing a lift with
non-dullards, be they skiers or boarders, it's a bit boring - kinda like
sitting next to the **** on a flight, except you can't take out a book and
pretend to read it. Whilst I agree that plugging in, off-lift, is
irresponsible you're kinda making a discussion out of nuttin. How about you
throw in any relevant tips (if you have any), then create a new thread in a
soap-opera stylee and leave the guy be.

DB
(I've had a ****ty day)

Old December 6th 04, 08:55 PM
Andy Turner

wrote :

[...]

I'm not replying to the original post.

Quote:
"to keep me motivated when riding the lifts up the slopes"
I can understand Brain's post clearly. Unless you're sharing a lift with
non-dullards, be they skiers or boarders, it's a bit boring - kinda like
sitting next to the **** on a flight, except you can't take out a book and
pretend to read it.

Sure, I've already acknowledged in an earlier post that this is not
what the OP is suggesting doing. However, other people have said that
they do it, and that is what I chose to now discuss. It's called
thread drift and it's all perfectly normal!

Whilst I agree that plugging in, off-lift, is
irresponsible you're kinda making a discussion out of nuttin.

This is usenet - creating discussions out of nothing it what it's for!

How about you
throw in any relevant tips (if you have any), then create a new thread in a
soap-opera stylee and leave the guy be.

*Which* guy? I'm talking about a hypothetical situation and it *has*
been suggested (nay admitted), that some people like to ride whilst
listening to music.

So it all seems perfectly OK to me...!

andyt

Old December 6th 04, 11:22 PM
todd

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

Don't you use your ears for balance though - somehow? Music piped

into
them whilst actually boarding might not be ideal. That said,

that's
not what the OP said.

Yeah, but unless you feel dizzy when you're listening to music, your
balance isn't affected by sound. Ear infections can cause problems
though.

Ah..mine is and I don't feel dizzy. I'm guessing that the earbuds

can
effect the pressure in the ear enough that for some people it causes
balance problems.

Hmmmmm, interesting. Try this test and let us know what happens;
1) put a piece of gum in your mouth.
2) go for a walk.

Have any problems? If so, I guess then people who can't walk and chew
gum at the same time SHOULD NOT listen to music while they snowboard.

....sorry, bad joke, just couldn't resist.
no problems on my end with balance. i think if you're cautious you can
make this work, but another poster is right re. the implications of an
accident. i'd hate to see mp3 players getting banned.

and as far as the "off topic" responses...well, that's just part of
usenet. if you don't like the way a particular branch of a thread is
going, don't read it. i'm just happy its snowboard season and people
are posting again!

-t

Old December 7th 04, 07:57 PM
Drug Buddy

wrote :

[...]

Oh aye

DB

Pain in left forearm after starting boarding Ralph Kent Snowboarding 14 April 2nd 04 02:53 PM
Lake Tahoe Snow boarding Question Kevin Harper North American Ski Resorts 2 November 15th 03 04:31 AM
Anybody boarding out in UTAH or COLORADO right now? toddjb Snowboarding 7 November 14th 03 10:46 PM
Sand Boarding Yello snow Snowboarding 0 October 29th 03 02:51 PM
Off season boarding Mike Manuele Snowboarding 3 August 12th 03 04:19 AM