Horrid Weather

Old December 7th 04, 10:34 PM
Waco Paco

Christopher Cox wrote:

Waco Paco wrote:

Iain Hendry wrote:

Is anyone else from Southwestern Ontario, and is as bummed as I am
about the
lack of snow and excess of rain?

Iain

Live in Toronto right here.... Just got 3mm of snow. This feels more
like Vancouver weather than Toronto. I guess I'll just go and check
the weather network again, and maybe the Blue Mountain site.

Global warming is going to kill all the Ontario hills

-stu

Yep the extra 5 watts per Square meter addional sun is a problem, but it
is a cycle. It'll pass.... It did during the middle ages.

Lets hope it is a cycle.... But the rise of CO2 is a problem. Graphs
have shown that since the industrial revolution, CO2 concentrations have
almost doubled (we were at 280ppm and now 380ppm) and with it it brought
about .6 deg of warming. That might not seem much but it only took 4-5
deg to put us in glacial mode. From climate models, it is predicted that
the world will warm between 2-4 deg by 2050. It's not just CO2 you know.
For the past 200 years, growing season in the north have lengthen as
well as a change in intensity of el nino events. High latitude and high
altitude will be affected first and that means our mountains will get
less snow due to warming. And since snow was such a good reflector of
sunlight, their abscence will only make warming that much quicker.

If you believe that this is only a cycle or rhetoric from the left. I
hope you're right. But when 95% of the world's scientists believe that
the computer models are pretty much correct and the other 5% is funded
by oil companies, I think i'd rather be on the cautious side and take
the train instead of my car.

-btw

during the middle ages was actually a slight cooling. It was deemed the
little ice age. Scientists believe that our climate was actually going
back into another ice age. And also, it isn't the sun's output that is
increasing but rather the increasing heat trapping of green house gases.

If we don't do anything, there will be a lot less snow than before.
So stop driving SUV's to the grocery store, stop wasting electricity,
and promote walking and other eco friendly activities.

-stu
Old December 8th 04, 01:58 AM
Christopher Cox

Hello Stu,

Since the beginning of the industrial revolution till now, we (mankind)
have emitted enough greenhouse gas to contribute an additional 1 watt
per square meter of additional warming. This is not trivial, nor is it
cause for panic. This additional gas makes up for a little over 1% of
additional greenhouse gasses.

We are entering a 1000 year solar maxim. In the past couple of years the
sun is emitting an increased 5 watts per square meter of energy. As
noted, this last occurred around the middle ages.

As the arctic ice melted then, (as it is now) it played havoc with the
ocean streams that pump cold water south by reducing the salinity of the
oceans. Scientist concur that while that Earth warmed in general, the
seasons moderated with cooler summers and warmer winters.

In my opinion mucky weather!

Allot of scientist believed that the world was flat at one time. Mass
belief in something is hardly a validation of fact, it merely is one.
The most evident sign of this 'gang' influence was someone from the
Weather Channel calling the movie 'Day After Tomorrow' plausible. Yeah,
like with a bunch of liquid nitrogen maybe!

In other words, I think it would be prudent to lower emissions because
we do not know what long term impact is. This is good stewardship, and
just plain wise. But to state human beings affected present day weather
in a noticeable way just seems arrogant.

Well, we could create a nuclear winter, but that's another subject!

Best regards, and happy boarding!

Chris

Old December 8th 04, 02:48 AM
Dmitry

"MixD" wrote

Here in the Pac NW (Seattle) we're getting the warmer/wetter as well.
This was to be expected as part of the El Nino cycle (or just payback
for last year's incredible season). Freezing level is supposed to rise
to 7-8000' this weekend, and if it rains will decimate any base we
might have got. Yep, sux. Some local mountains have only 5-10% their
average snowfall at this time. So...we drive up to BC.

But why? Baker's got over a meter of base already.

Old December 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Waco Paco

Christopher Cox wrote:

[...]

Hello Chris,

I do believe that current weather anomalies are not the result of
anthropogenic green house gas emissions, but there is no way that we
will know if it is or is not. I do admire that you bring up the fact
that lowering emissions is good stewardship because i have heard too
many people say that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The problem is that we don't know where we're heading and, I know its
bad science, but sometimes exaggerating something will get people to do
whats right. I do understand that weather trends in the past 30-50 years
mean nothing on a geological timescale and may just be a blip on the
radar. I also agree that as the earth warms, the high latitudes will
become more moderate as the winters will be too, and that there might be
a slight cooling trend going on in western europe.

The thing that bothers me the most is the potential increase in
precipitation over the oceans as oppose to the land. This will just mean
less snow for us to go board on. The knowledge i'm throwing out is just
directly from the Climate Change class i'm taking at UofT for the semester.

I do hold on to one maxim though.... "Just in case"
If the scientists are wrong, I'm happy.
If the scientists are right about it, i don't want to be the loser.

Peace

-stu

ps. haven't seen the day after tomorrow, but it just plain looked stupid
and unfounded.
Old December 8th 04, 07:59 AM
Switters

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:18:19 GMT, "Mike T"
allegedly wrote:

There's so much conflicting info and posturing going on in the media
w.r.t. global warming... but after reading multiple sides of the story
my understanding is that the planet is on the tail end of an ice age
which probably would have meant "global warming" even in the absence
of humans... but humans are certainly impacting the climate to a high
degree and one should not expect past weather cycles to necessarily
repeat themselves in the future.

You're right Mike, the glaciers are receeding anyway because we've just
had an ice age (in the historical time frame). The concern is that
because of mankind's contribution, this process is being sped up, and
really we should leave it to nature.

As I recall the average planet temp used to be something like 10-15C/18-
27F more than it is now during the last global warming cycle.

So let's be nice to trees when riding through them.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old December 8th 04, 11:49 AM
Richard Lumsden

"Iain Hendry" wrote in message

Yeah yeah but where is the snow???

Old December 8th 04, 09:22 PM
Jason Medeiros

Yeah yeah but where is the snow???

in little cottonwood canyon. LOTS of it.

--

jmed

Old December 8th 04, 10:36 PM
MixD

Dmitry wrote:
"MixD" wrote

Here in the Pac NW (Seattle) we're getting the warmer/wetter as

well.
This was to be expected as part of the El Nino cycle (or just

payback
for last year's incredible season). Freezing level is supposed to

rise
to 7-8000' this weekend, and if it rains will decimate any base we
might have got. Yep, sux. Some local mountains have only 5-10%

their
average snowfall at this time. So...we drive up to BC.

But why? Baker's got over a meter of base already.

Baker opened for one weekend, then closed over a week due to rain.
We're actually getting dumped on right now, and I'll be at Baker this
weekend! Heck, at this point I'll board in the rain as long as the
lifts are running.

Old December 8th 04, 10:39 PM
Mike T

But why? Baker's got over a meter of base already.

Baker opened for one weekend, then closed over a week due to rain.
We're actually getting dumped on right now, and I'll be at Baker this
weekend! Heck, at this point I'll board in the rain as long as the
lifts are running.

Mt Hood Meadows opens Saturday - FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old December 8th 04, 11:08 PM
Dmitry

"MixD" wrote

average snowfall at this time. So...we drive up to BC.

But why? Baker's got over a meter of base already.

Baker opened for one weekend, then closed over a week due to rain.
We're actually getting dumped on right now, and I'll be at Baker this
weekend! Heck, at this point I'll board in the rain as long as the
lifts are running.

They claim 60+ inches base and growing. I'll be there Friday (and I was there
that one weekend, it was.. umm.. rocky). And Crystal is also opening this weekend.
I'll be testing my base repairs from that one day at Baker