Brian Head versus Arizona Snowbowl?

Old January 4th 17, 11:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Brian Head versus Arizona Snowbowl?

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 3:13:42 PM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

View of the Grand Canyon from the north rim.
Seldom visited, glorious view. Meteor Crater just off the route - VISIT.

While in Sedona, don't forget to drop in on Jerome.

When I formed my bucket list, one item was visiting an exposure of the K-T boundary, and the closest is in the hills just above Raton Pass, NM. Did the trip a couple of years back, and along the way hit Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest (they nicely ask you in the way IN if you have any rocks in the car, and will put a NPS tag on them), Shiprock (from a distance), Four Corners, Monument Valley, and a pass through Grand Canyon south side. If I had planned a little better I could have included North Rim and Breaking Bad tour of Albuquerque.

Findings: On I-10, you are almost never out of sight of a train on the tracks paralleling the route; K-T boundary is marked by a sign pointing out the change in the color of the rocks, otherwise ho-hum; it is incongruous to be driving through red-brown dry desert in heat the AC can barely handle and then come to a bridge over a stream roaring with a flash flood from thunderstorms in the hills nearby. Miscellany - I borrowed my wife's keyring because it has the car alarm remote on it, and when I got home and fished my keying out of the bin below the radio I found the Ipod that had been missing for 2 years (and is missing again now).

Last item on the bucket list - top of San Gorgonio - I got to within sight of it in June one year, but that was the last heavy snow year and I didn't have ice gear and I couldn't tell which set of footprints across the snowfield was the right one.
Old January 5th 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/04/2017 03:13 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

View of the Grand Canyon from the north rim.
Seldom visited, glorious view. Meteor Crater just off the route - VISIT.

BUT road may be closed due to snow. Recent news article about people
following GPS instructions. Fortunately all survived.

While in Sedona, don't forget to drop in on Jerome.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"
Old January 5th 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:
On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and
we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered
where to go. People recommended Brian Head as the closest place
worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On
paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on
paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth
driving 4 times as far?

View of the Grand Canyon from the north rim. Seldom visited,
glorious view. Meteor Crater just off the route - VISIT.

While in Sedona, don't forget to drop in on Jerome.

When I formed my bucket list, one item was visiting an exposure of
the K-T boundary, and the closest is in the hills just above Raton
Pass, NM.

I had to google that. Nifty. Did you keep a sample?

Did the trip a couple of years back, and along the way hit
Meteor Crater, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest (they nicely ask you
in the way IN if you have any rocks in the car, and will put a NPS
tag on them), Shiprock (from a distance), Four Corners,

Apparently the spot they charge you money to stand on is not actually
the four-corner spot.

Monument
Valley, and a pass through Grand Canyon south side. If I had
planned a little better I could have included North Rim and Breaking
Bad tour of Albuquerque.

BB virtual tour . Why waste time in a city?

Findings: On I-10, you are almost never out of sight of a train on
the tracks paralleling the route; K-T boundary is marked by a sign
pointing out the change in the color of the rocks, otherwise ho-hum;

The most interesting thing about the glass walkway at the Grand Canyon
-- On a flat red rock near it there was a tiny worm of green -- the last
uneroded bit of the next layer above that one. I thought it was a big
staple at first.

it is incongruous to be driving through red-brown dry desert in heat
the AC can barely handle and then come to a bridge over a stream
roaring with a flash flood from thunderstorms in the hills nearby.

I drove up I-15 a while after the flood that took out a big chunk of the
highway. Really impressive.

Miscellany - I borrowed my wife's keyring because it has the car
alarm remote on it, and when I got home and fished my keying out of
the bin below the radio I found the Ipod that had been missing for 2
years (and is missing again now).

Last item on the bucket list - top of San Gorgonio - I got to within
sight of it in June one year, but that was the last heavy snow year
and I didn't have ice gear and I couldn't tell which set of
footprints across the snowfield was the right one.

Walking and climbing are over-rated,

Old January 5th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 6:13:42 PM UTC-5, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
Last year I posted that I was visiting a friend in Sedona AZ and we wanted ski. I have never been on Western snow, and wondered where to go.
People recommended Brian Head as the closest place worth going to.

My friend asked how it was better than Arizona Snowbowl. On paper they are roughly equal; but of course we don't ski on paper.

Assuming ASB has decent snow, what about BH might be worth driving 4 times as far?

View of the Grand Canyon from the north rim.
Seldom visited, glorious view. Meteor Crater just off the route - VISIT.

While in Sedona, don't forget to drop in on Jerome.

You're still alive!

JP
Gang: Reuniting.
Old January 5th 17, 05:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:
On 1/2/17 12:00 PM, Toller wrote:
[...]

K-T sample is in a plastic bag around here somewhere. The pictures are more meaningful, and they don't show much.

The 4-corner spot is the legal boundary among the 4 states, even though it is a few hundred feet from the spot intended (I think it is out in the parking lot) in the laws that defined the states' boundaries. In most surveying disputes (especially for points surveyed that long ago), "ground truth" is accepted unless there is some egregious error. The building where I attended 6th grade in Derby Line, Vt, is, according to the various treaties that ended the Revolution and settled the border, about 1000 feet into Canada since it is north of 45°N, but about another 1000 feet south of the accepted border (the story is told that the binational surveying party sent out to mark the line in the early 1800's didn't trust the local water, so they brought along good clean whiskey for health reasons).