Feedback on V2 Carbon Fiber Rollerskis?

Old September 11th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

Default Feedback on V2 Carbon Fiber Rollerskis?

In Len Johnson's last blog post he mentions that he's finally
developing a carbon fiber version of his classical rollerski (900
series). Does anyone have experience with the skate only carbon fiber
ski he introduced last year?

Just wondering how much vibration dampening you could expect from the
more flexy carbon fiber. (I've got a hip that's not long for this
world, and every bit of protection helps...)

Old September 13th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

On Sep 11, 8:04*am, Jon wrote:
In Len Johnson's last blog post he mentions that he's finally
developing a carbon fiber version of his classical rollerski (900
series). *Does anyone have experience with the skate only carbon fiber
ski he introduced last year?

Just wondering how much vibration dampening you could expect from the
more flexy carbon fiber. *(I've got a hip that's not long for this
world, and every bit of protection helps...)

Anyone know why I've been unable to post a message to the group with
both Google Chrome and Firefox all week? Sorry to add as reply but
unable to post new post.
Old September 14th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Sep 11, 11:04*am, Jon wrote:

*Does anyone have experience with the skate only carbon fiber ski he introduced last year?

I've got a few hours on a used pair and here's my take on them
compared to my Aero 125's. They certainly did damp quite a bit of
vibration but they did feel "flex-y" (is that a word?) It is
interesting to note that the ones I used had been abraded through the
carbon fiber layer down to the wood on one of the shafts, which to me
is a common area to scrape a rollerski. I could feel way more flex on
that one than the other one. The solid wheels transmit a lot of road
shock which the shafts take up and the addition of the brakes makes
them a good choice.

That said, I don't think I'd buy a pair until Jenex gets their
composite construction a bit more refined. The ski that was abraded
showed poor and/or incomplete bonding to the wood shaft in a few
places so that the wood was flexing independent of the carbon wrap -
it did not seem to be a homogenous unit. The skis I was on were on
their 3rd ste of wheels due to defects in the rubber tire. I think
previous comments on this newsgroup about Jenex rushing things to the
market before they are ready may be true.

- Bob

Old September 15th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

.. *I think
previous comments on this newsgroup about Jenex rushing things to the
market before they are ready may be true.

Good point and good reminder to be a bit wary...

Old September 15th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mic

On Sep 14, 11:05*pm, highpeaksnordic
wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:04*am, Jon wrote:

[...]

That sounds really interesting, thanks for that.
I'm looking at buying carbon model.
I was reading that 2009 Jenex XL98R model has improved carbon shaft
and very durable wheels and also option of ISR internal speed reducers
etc.
I already have Aero 150 and 125's as we have sealed but rough roads;
no holes, just finish is quite abrasive and "bumpy". I've skied in
past on different carbon skate rollerski which took a quite lot of
shock out, but after a few hours my feet started to get numb from all
the vibrations. With Aeros no worries :-)
(1) How would you compare your 125's Aero with carbon/solid wheel ski?
(2) Were Aeros more smooth?
(3) Did you notice weight difference?
(4) What's about stability?
Cheers,
Mic

Old September 16th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
runcyclexcski

On Sep 15, 9:40*am, Jon wrote:
. *I think

previous comments on this newsgroup about Jenex rushing things to the
market before they are ready may be true.

Good point and good reminder to be a bit wary...

I wouldn't entrust my life to carbon fiber rollerskis, as well as to
the Boeing Dreamliner.
Old September 16th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Thanks for the report, Bob. Something it pays to be aware of about
news on the Jenex site about this or that national team or athlete
buying some V2 rollerski, is that it's common for teams and athletes to
have (or try out) a variety of rollerskis, both to vary workouts and
terrain and to keep up on what's new out there.

Gene

Old September 16th 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Sep 15, 7:58*pm, Mic wrote:

I already have Aero 150 and 125's as we have sealed but rough roads;

Lemme know if you want to sell a pair of the 125's

(1) How would you compare your 125's Aero with carbon/solid wheel ski?
(2) Were Aeros more smooth?
(3) Did you notice weight difference?
(4) What's about stability?

I really like my Aero 125's, with the speed reducer I think it is
pretty near the perfect RS. I do not like having to buy another
complete set of wheels each time I need new tires and pumping them up
each time I ski (although it only takes 5 minutes) gets to be a drag.
The Aero's are definitely more smooth and stable as they will roll
over most everything on the road. I have been stopped dead a few
times when the pavement ended and some larger crushed stone was there,
but that would have happened on any RS. I don't know the quoted
weights of each RS, but the XL98R did not feel any lighter than my
Aero's.

- Bob

Old September 17th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddie Luban

I've used my XL 98R's about a dozen times. I'm quite pleased with
them, though all I have to compare them to are a pair of V2 940
Combis. I've gone as long as 2.25 hrs. and haven't had any numbness.
I know what you're talking about though, from my other skis.

Old October 1st 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Brayton Osgood

wrote:

On Sep 11, 11:04*am, Jon wrote:

[...]

I ski on both Aeros (150) and the new XL98Rs. We have a lot of pretty
rough roads here in Bend (the highway department loves their chip-
seal), we also have some pretty smooth pavement.

1. I prefer to ski on the carbon shaft/solid wheel combination. They
are lighter, slower (when the ISR is installed) and feel more "snow-
like" than the Aeros.
2. There is no question the Aeros are smoother on rough pavement. On
smooth and pretty smooth pavement it's hard to tell a difference. On
recently chip-sealed roads though, I can definitely feel the road
surface on the carbon ski. That said, the carbon shaft is definitely
smoother than skiing the same roads on my aluminum shaft classic skis
(920s).
3. Definitely notice the weight difference. More so on uphills (V1 on
the carbon ski is much improved over the Aero), but it's definitely
noticeable everywhere. This along with the snow-like feel is the main
reason that I'm using the carbon skis exclusively for intervals now.
4. I don't notice much of a difference, the carbon skis might feel a
little more solid I suppose. Honestly, I'm probably not a good person
to ask on this. I'll ski on things a lot squirrelier than most.

Pretty much the only time I use the Aeros these days are for distance
skis that are going to take me over rough roads. I'm definitely sold
on the XL98R.

Brayton