snowboarders

Old January 18th 05, 05:38 PM
Chuck

Mary Malmros wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Yah, when I said "hot button" I didn't mean that your objections
aren't based in reality...just that, well, you _do_ jerk the knee
whenever snowboarding is mentioned. And weren't you the guy who
bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of riders in a parking lot just
'cuz?

Nope, not me. I have better manners than that.

I wasn't replying to you, Chuck.

My mistake. Must be that dang newsreader software again. It showed your
post as a reply to mine.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 21st 05, 06:40 AM
ant

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I've been hit three times in my life, all by skiers, twice while I was
snowboarding ;-) Twice was on a learning hill, once (while I was on skis)
was just a real clueless individual. I was very lucky to get out of that
one without a bad hurt!

I have been hit numerous times in recent years, and all by boarders. In
fact, if you count having your skis run over or someone brush by slowly, I
would say it's a daily occurance. They are changing the sport for many
people.

ant

Old January 21st 05, 02:11 PM
Mary Malmros

And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I wonder if it would be so bloody funny if some snowboarder did the same
to you. You'd just lie down in the slush and roll around laughing, right?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 21st 05, 02:50 PM
pigo

And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I wonder if it would be so bloody funny if some snowboarder did the same
to you. You'd just lie down in the slush and roll around laughing, right?

They'd have to be able to afford a car first. Or they'd have to try to run
away with their pants around their knees.

I saw t-shirt on a guy the other day that said "real men pull up their
pants". I thought that was funny too.

Old January 21st 05, 04:07 PM
snoig

"ant" wrote in message
I have been hit numerous times in recent years, and all by boarders. In
fact, if you count having your skis run over or someone brush by slowly, I
would say it's a daily occurance. They are changing the sport for many
people.

ant

Seriously Ant, if you have been hit numerous times in recent years, you need
to start looking at yourself and what you are doing to make yourself such a
target. Maybe you need an orange reflective jacket or something. I've been
skiing over 35 years getting around 1500 days and have only been hit twice.
Both by skiers. And, to my embarisment, I did hit someone myself way back
when.

snoig

Old January 21st 05, 04:51 PM
VtSkier

snoig wrote:
"ant" wrote in message

I have been hit numerous times in recent years, and all by boarders. In
fact, if you count having your skis run over or someone brush by slowly, I
would say it's a daily occurance. They are changing the sport for many
people.

ant

Seriously Ant, if you have been hit numerous times in recent years, you need
to start looking at yourself and what you are doing to make yourself such a
target. Maybe you need an orange reflective jacket or something. I've been
skiing over 35 years getting around 1500 days and have only been hit twice.
Both by skiers. And, to my embarisment, I did hit someone myself way back
when.

snoig

Those of us who have to ski slow from time to time
are often targets. Ant's an instructor. She has the
added disadvantage that she has to pay attention to
her class rather than to what's coming down the
hill at her.
VtSkier
Old January 21st 05, 05:02 PM
Black Metal Martha

[...]

Yes, indeed they are. Usually when I've gotten hit, it's been getting
off the lift. Now, I will almost always pass up riding a lift with a
boarder if it's on a lower lift. So many of them don't even know how to
get off of a lift, it would be funny if they didn't run into me.

And this after I've told them which way I'm going.

Another place I've gotten run into is when a boarder cuts in front of
me int eh lift line. They don't even bother to check to see if they're
going to run into me.
Accidents happen, rude and stupid behavior shouldn't.

Martha

Old January 21st 05, 07:18 PM
pigo

"snoig" wrote in message

Seriously Ant, if you have been hit numerous times in recent years, you
need
to start looking at yourself and what you are doing to make yourself such
target. Maybe you need an orange reflective jacket or something. I've
been
skiing over 35 years getting around 1500 days and have only been hit
twice.
Both by skiers. And, to my embarisment, I did hit someone myself way back
when.

Wow! You need to get out more!

Maybe you should start skiing falline too. My experience is that it's the
more aggressive skiers that get hit by borders in the full on collision type
of hits. The timid are always looking behind themselves to watch out for any
careening objects. And are usually out in the middle of the run far away
from the edges where they might accidentally veer out into the woods. They
get hit by the "rad dudes" that are unable to avoid women and children but
somehow develop some ability to control their skids when the possibility of
retaliation exists. But a good skier, at a relative high speed, skiing the
falline is the one that's going to get clocked and suffer real damage. And
that's more likely to happen where snowborders are stinkin' the place up.

I had a guy at Deer Valley pull a snowborder stunt one day and blind jump
right next to my head. I followed him to the chair and pointed him out and
his pass was pulled for the day. Were it not a *ski* area that would be old
hat and not worth noticing.

Old January 22nd 05, 05:26 AM
ant

And weren't you the guy who bragged about slush-splashing a bunch of
riders in a parking lot just 'cuz?

worth bragging about. It was bloody funny.

I wonder if it would be so bloody funny if some snowboarder did the same
to you. You'd just lie down in the slush and roll around laughing, right?

doesn't alter the fact that the event, in 1998, was extremely funny. You
should have been there, although I'm glad you weren't.

ant

Old January 22nd 05, 05:32 AM
ant

"snoig" wrote in message

"ant" wrote in message
I have been hit numerous times in recent years, and all by boarders. In
fact, if you count having your skis run over or someone brush by slowly,
would say it's a daily occurance. They are changing the sport for many
people.

ant

Seriously Ant, if you have been hit numerous times in recent years, you
need
to start looking at yourself and what you are doing to make yourself such
target.

I teach skiing. I therefore ski slowly in areas where boarders want to
"maintain their speed", or maybe they just want to show off how cool they
are. be that as it may, being hit by other snow users didn't happen to me in
the 60s, or the 70s, or the 80s. It started when snowboarders came on the
scene, and increased when I slowed down, in order to match the speed of my
students.

BTW, when boarders hit me, I don't fall down. They do.
But what if I was your mother, trying out skiing? Tell her to change what
she does? Or isn't she allowed to go skiing? Especially if she doesn't ski
fast enough.

How about requiring ALL snow users to respect a very basic tenet of snow
use: DON'T HIT OTHER PEOPLE ?

I don't have to wear a reflective vest. I wear red. I'm pretty visible. I'm
quite solid. I'm there. Most snowboarders who hit me knew I was there. After
they hit me, they do regret it. Not all females are good things to hit.

As others have said, women do seem to get hit disproportionately. If I have
time to raise my ski pole at them, they don't hit me. Isn't that weird?

ant