Earthquake!

Old June 16th 04, 12:15 AM
The Real Bev

Default Earthquake!

Richard Henry wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
Bev, did you feel that one?

Significant shaking here in San Diego abou 3 minutes ago. Nothing about

it
on the the USGS earthquake site yet.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

http://quake.usgs.gov/ is a better link.

You should be OK. Gaia is saving the big one to coincide with the
universal SoCal fire scheduled for this fall.

There's not much brush left to burn around here. I guess a big fire could
come down directly from the north, but it would have to burn through about
two miles of urban neighborhoods to get to our house from that direction.

There's still the rest of the San Bernardino forest. Plenty left for
several years worth of fires.

The rats that moved through the neighborhood after the fire seem to have
moved on (or been eaten by cats, like the kitty that spent a few nights in
our garage and left a rat-head on the floor one morning as payment for
feeding him).

Seems fair enough to me.

I have heard owls recently on quiet nights, so I put an
owl-nest box up in the eaves on the quieter, cooler side of the house. I
guess I should go check to see if it shook down.

Nifty. Back when I used to walk at 5:00 am I heard an owl a couple of
times up near the mountains. It felt special, somehow.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 16th 04, 12:36 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
Richard Henry wrote in message

Bev, did you feel that one?

Significant shaking here in San Diego abou 3 minutes ago. Nothing about
it
on the the USGS earthquake site yet.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

Now it's reported as 4.7 near Edwards AFB in the desert.

Felt closer.

And bigger.

Hmph. So I guess I don't feel anything less than 5.0 :-( Oh ****,
let's just say 6.0... If nothing falls down, it wasn't an earthquake.

If the computer monitor doesn't start to walk off the desk it isn't an
earthquake. Altho I've discovered that all the really significant
quakes occur when I'm in some compromised position, like sitting on
the toilet or in the shower...

Isn't it fun to watch non-Pacific-Rimmers during an earthquake? A very
nice accountant from Massachusetts started bumping into walls after she
got sloshed during meditation, so the boss sent her home for the rest of
the day.

Old June 16th 04, 01:10 AM
TCS

Now it's reported as 4.7 near Edwards AFB in the desert.

Felt closer.

And bigger.

Now USGS has corrected the estimate: 5.2 off northern Baja. Closer and
bigger.

I can see the difference in intensity, but Edwards and Baja are no where near
close to each other. That's pretty bad.

Obski: Why does a skier live in far southern California?

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
The Colorado ski season is temporarily closed.
Old June 16th 04, 02:09 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

Hmph. So I guess I don't feel anything less than 5.0 :-( Oh ****,
let's just say 6.0... If nothing falls down, it wasn't an earthquake.

If the computer monitor doesn't start to walk off the desk it isn't an
earthquake. Altho I've discovered that all the really significant
quakes occur when I'm in some compromised position, like sitting on
the toilet or in the shower...

Isn't it fun to watch non-Pacific-Rimmers during an earthquake? A very
nice accountant from Massachusetts started bumping into walls after she
got sloshed during meditation, so the boss sent her home for the rest of
the day.

heh. That's how i meditate too, by getting sloshed.

I recently experienced a fairly large quake on the 21st floor of an
office building. The building was built to sway and it did. I
seriously thought i was gonna puke. Fortunately I had my pants on for
that one. I was half way down the stairs before realizing running
outside probably wasn't going to help.

That's probably what a lot of the World Trade Center people thought.
Around here, once you're in the fire stairwell you can't get out again
until you get to the bottom or someone outside takes pity on you -- the
doors don't open on the inside. The collection agency in my building
apparently had a lot of disgruntled 'clients' and every once in a while
we would have a bomb scare. Only 8 floors, and the stairwell filled up
almost immediately, with everybody trudging along one step every few
seconds. Least helpful was the huge woman being carried down in a
wheelchair by two big men.

No idea how they managed to decide it was a false alarm after only ten
minutes, but I know for a fact that they didn't search my file cabinet
(the one with the two-pound lock) or our security room that always took
at least three tries at the combination before it would open.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 16th 04, 02:11 AM
The Real Bev

TCS wrote:

Now it's reported as 4.7 near Edwards AFB in the desert.

Felt closer.

And bigger.

Now USGS has corrected the estimate: 5.2 off northern Baja. Closer and
bigger.

I can see the difference in intensity, but Edwards and Baja are no where near
close to each other. That's pretty bad.

I'm about halfway between and I didn't feel a thing.

Obski: Why does a skier live in far southern California?

I bought my house two decades before I learned to ski. Richard probably
just wanted an excuse to drive his jeep long distances.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 16th 04, 03:26 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:

I recently experienced a fairly large quake on the 21st floor of an
office building. The building was built to sway and it did. I
seriously thought i was gonna puke. Fortunately I had my pants on for
that one. I was half way down the stairs before realizing running
outside probably wasn't going to help.

That's probably what a lot of the World Trade Center people thought.
Around here, once you're in the fire stairwell you can't get out again
until you get to the bottom or someone outside takes pity on you -- the
doors don't open on the inside.

What's that all about? Somehow protecting you from something? What if
you want to use the stairs? It's no wonder so many Americans are obese.

My boss gimmicked the door on our floor so he could take the stairs
rather than the elevator. I did enough other walking that I didn't feel
guilty. The stairs were intended only for building evacuation; once
inside you were supposed to go to the bottom and get the hell out of the
building. It also theoretically prevented undesirables from sneaking up
the stairs for nefarious purposes, although it's hard to see why they
wouldn't walk in through the front door and use the elevator just like
normal people.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 16th 04, 03:26 AM
Richard Henry

"TCS" wrote in message
Now it's reported as 4.7 near Edwards AFB in the desert.

Felt closer.

And bigger.

Now USGS has corrected the estimate: 5.2 off northern Baja. Closer and
bigger.

I can see the difference in intensity, but Edwards and Baja are no where

near
close to each other. That's pretty bad.

Obski: Why does a skier live in far southern California?

If anyone asks, I'm a Vermonter. I came out here in the Navy, intending to
go back. Then I decided to finish college (San Diego State the last
smemster I attended cost me about $100 in tuition and $150 for parking,
while the GI Bill was paying me $300 a month). Of course, by then I was
working and married, then divorced, married again and a parent. Someday
I'll be done with all this growing up and get back to Vermont. Or Colorado
maybe. Or Utah. Or Tahoe.

And then there's Mammoth...