Taking up skiing

Old September 20th 11, 06:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Taking up skiing

I moved to Orange County a couple of years ago from the midwest and
some coworkers talked me into trying snowboarding. This year I want
to try skiing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to
start out?
Old September 20th 11, 06:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
wrote:

I moved to Orange County a couple of years ago from the midwest and
some coworkers talked me into trying snowboarding. This year I want
to try skiing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to
start out?

Honestly: take at least one lesson.

I've been skiing my whole life--more than 40 years on skis--and I'm now
an instructor, and while I know that people who are reasonably well
coordinated can get going on their own, I also know that a 2 hour lesson
can really shave a lot of time off of the process.

Skiing and snowboarding have quite different learning curves. With a
snowboard, the first little while on the snow is really difficult
because having both feet locked onto one board make it very alien, but
from there, it's actually pretty easy to learn to slither down the hill.
Skiing on the other hand is far more familiar and so it seems like it
will be easy to get down the hill from the word go, and it's not as easy
as that. What was a disadvantage for the board when you first stand
up--that your feet can't move independently--becomes an advantage when
you start to slide; your feet have to head off in the same direction.
That's not what happens on skis.

The folks who teach skiing--whether it's the CSIA here in Canada or the
PSIA down in your part of the world--really do have teaching beginners
down to a fine art. 2 hours with an instructor, and if you're reasonable
coordinated, you'll be fine to head up and down the easier runs. From
there, you can take more lessons if you want to speed your progress, but
you can also probably make it on your own and have fun.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old September 20th 11, 12:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 09/20/2011 02:39 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

What he said. I've been skiing even longer than Alan,
closer to 60 years. My advice is regarding equipment.

Rent equipment the first few times out. Many ski areas
have package deals that include a (limited) lift ticket,
rental skis and a lesson at a greatly reduced price.
You can usually milk this for at least 3 or 4 days.

Then, if it feel good and if you intend to continue,
it's probably time to buy boots. Go to a professional
shop which has well trained bootfitters, preferrably
near your favorite area. Don't scrimp. Don't think
that stiffer is necessarily better, it's not. However
a good fit is better, both from comfort and
performance standpoints. Rental boots are mostly
compromise to get you started without discouraging
you too much.

Probably you shouldn't buy skis at all the first year.
Do the math. What is the cost of renting skis and
poles for a year? Multiply by the number of days you
will be skiing that year. Find the cost of skis, poles
and bindings. Is the rental cost less? Then renting
is the better deal.

Skis that will help and guide you through the learning
stages of skiing will probably be outgrown in the first
year, so even if you ski a lot, it's still probably
better to rent.

I'm glad somebody asked the question because it gives
me the chance to give some advice. Some actually that
most people won't disagree with.

VtSkier
Old September 20th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

wrote:

I moved to Orange County a couple of years ago from the midwest and
some coworkers talked me into trying snowboarding. This year I want
to try skiing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to
start out?

I'm glad somebody asked the question because it gives
me the chance to give some advice. Some actually that
most people won't disagree with.

VtSkier

Yes those old guys know what there are talking about.
I would add on rental down here on LI NY metro northern NJ area there
are seasonal rentals where you get fitted with new equipment. The
biggest issue with rentals is boot fitting. Going to a place like
Thunder Ridge off rt 22 which is near you the choices of rental places
are limited and many small ski areas do not have the manufacturers
support that okemo or killington have. One thing about a small place
getting stuck on the lift for ten minutes with the wrong clothing is
bad, getting stuck near the top of mount snow for ten minutes with the
wrong clothing for the weather will leave you pretty hurting.
Much like ice skates improper fitting of boots can hurt you or make your
day so unpleasant that you never want to do it again.

Take lessons from certified ski instructors not your friends, if skiing
solo go on mountain tours with others in groups. If you are in to speed
and racing check out NASTAR

The most important thing about skiing is to do it, get on the slopes and
carve some turns.

next have fun
Old September 20th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Sep 20, 12:00*am, wrote:

What they said.

A lesson is most likely crucial for the first time. Not only will you
learn some skills but hopefully some terminology and etiquette too.
I'd suggest a full price group lesson for the first time. You don't
need a private lesson but you don't want one of those $1 introductory
deals that are just a pain in the ass to everyone involved and you'll
get what you pay for. Same goes for rentals. Don't go to the cheapest
shop and get some input and assistance while fitting your gear. Take
your time. Leave yourself time to accomplish this on the day you go.

Have fun.

Old September 20th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 9/20/2011 2:00 AM, wrote:
I moved to Orange County a couple of years ago from the midwest and
some coworkers talked me into trying snowboarding. This year I want
to try skiing. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to
start out?

As others have said, take a lesson (perhaps several) from a certified
instructor. If you can schedule it, go on a weekday in December -
you'll probably get one of the full-time instructors who has loads of
experience getting never-evers to learn. DON'T wait until XMas week or
a Saturday holiday in the height of the season - that's when the ski
school is overwhelmed with customers and you're like to get a warm body
that they picked up at the plasma center that morning.

I'm not sure what resorts are near you, but don't be picky - a bunny
hill is a bunny hill, so you don't need to go to the big name resorts to
take your first couple of lessons. Just get out there and do it.

You should get your own pair of boots fairly early. The "real" way to
do it is to go to a bootfitter and have him or her do you up with the
best fitting boot. Unfortunately, this will cost well into three
figures, so your other option is to hit some used sporting goods stores
and pick up a pair for ~$50. They won't be ideal, but they'll probably
be better than the rental boots. Choose carefully, look for a
snug-to-very-snug fit. Ignore the size stamped on the boot, just choose
the boot that holds your foot firmly in place without hurting.

Likewise, you can pick up used skis that are as good or better than the
rental for ~$100. Once you have your own gear, you're more likely to
get out on the hill since the marginal cost of going skiing is lower.
At least that was my experience. Think of this stuff as "starter gear"
and plan to replace it in a year or two - you'll probably be able to
sell it for about what you paid for it, so it just an extended rental.

But rent the first time. See if you like it enough to come back.

//Walt

Old September 20th 11, 03:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 9/19/11 11:00 PM, wrote:
I moved to Orange County...

Which Orange County?
Old September 20th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sep 20, 8:20*am, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/19/11 11:00 PM, wrote:

I moved to Orange County...

Which Orange County?