VT skiers

Old September 1st 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default VT skiers

On 09/01/2011 09:52 AM, Walt wrote:
On 9/1/2011 8:48 AM, VtSkier wrote:
On 09/01/2011 07:56 AM, wrote:

I live in Michigan. We don't get hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides,
tsunamis, forest fires, or volcanoes. We get snow storms which you
call blizzards and an occasional tornado. Our biggest fears is Asian
carp, and government spending.

True enough, but you also don't have mountains to speak of.

Actually, we do have mountains to speak of: Mt Trashmore, Boyne
Mountain, Crystal Mountain, Schuss Mountain, Mt Bohemia, Pine Mountain,
The Porcupine Mountains, the Huron Mountains, etc.

The thing is, most are just mountains "to speak of". Calling them
mountains doesn't make it so. Although the Porkies and the Hurons are
big enough to qualify as mountains - small mountains, but mountains
nonetheless.

//Walt

Mount Trashmo I rest my case.

And I do agree, the UP does have nice mountains.
Old September 1st 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:24:24 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

On 09/01/2011 07:56 AM, wrote:

I live in Michigan. We don't get hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides,
tsunamis, forest fires, or volcanoes. We get snow storms which you
call blizzards and an occasional tornado. Our biggest fears is Asian
carp, and government spending.

True enough, but you also don't have mountains to speak of.

Actually, we do have mountains to speak of: Mt Trashmore, Boyne
Mountain, Crystal Mountain, Schuss Mountain, Mt Bohemia, Pine Mountain,
The Porcupine Mountains, the Huron Mountains, etc.

The thing is, most are just mountains "to speak of". Calling them
mountains doesn't make it so. Although the Porkies and the Hurons are
big enough to qualify as mountains - small mountains, but mountains
nonetheless.

//Walt

Mount Trashmo I rest my case.

And I do agree, the UP does have nice mountains.

Mount Arvon

Baraga County, Michigan, USA

Elevation

1,979 ft (603 m)

Listing

U.S. state high point

Location

Range

Huron Mountains

Coordinates

46°45'20?N 88°09'21?WCoordinates: 46°45'20?N 88°09'21?W

Mount Arvon, elevation 1,979 feet (603 m), located in L'Anse Township,
Baraga County, is the highest point in the U.S. state of Michigan.
Like nearby Arvon Township, Michigan, Mt. Arvon takes its name from
the deposits of slate in the area which were reminiscent of those
around Caernarfon in Wales. Mt. Arvon is part of the Huron Mountains
range.

Mt. Arvon is a few miles from Mount Curwood, which for years had been
designated as Michigan's highest spot until a resurvey in 1982 with
modern technology determined that Mt. Arvon is one foot taller than
Mt. Curwood.

Mt. Arvon is about twelve miles (19 km) east of L'Anse, although it is
about a 26-mile (42 km) drive from the city as much of it lies on
winding logging roads.

It's taller than many of those apple-lachian mountains.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old September 1st 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 8/31/11 7:23 PM, Walt wrote:

Too bad we don't get snow Hurricaines. Those would be loads of fun.

Blizzard are not really fun. The recording anemometer on Ward Peak hit
180 mph a few years ago and then blew away so the actual peak wind was
something higher. Fortunately the mountain ranges temper the winds in
the valleys. But a major blizzard often has dropped more than 8 feet of
snow in a few days.

In a really bad blizzard the whole mountain has slid and killed a bunch
of good people. Hopefully the higher caliber artillery continues to
control the slides as major blizzards continue to arrive unabated.
Old September 1st 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 09/01/2011 12:42 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:24:24 -0400, wrote
this crap:

wrote:

[...]

About half the height of Killington. What's the base elevation?
Killington is actually about 3000 feet high as measured from
the base.
Old September 1st 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 09/01/2011 12:43 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 8/31/11 7:23 PM, Walt wrote:

Too bad we don't get snow Hurricaines. Those would be loads of fun.

Blizzard are not really fun. The recording anemometer on Ward Peak hit
180 mph a few years ago and then blew away so the actual peak wind was
something higher. Fortunately the mountain ranges temper the winds in
the valleys. But a major blizzard often has dropped more than 8 feet of
snow in a few days.

In a really bad blizzard the whole mountain has slid and killed a bunch
of good people. Hopefully the higher caliber artillery continues to
control the slides as major blizzards continue to arrive unabated.

Highest wind speed ever recorded in the lower 48
235mph, Mount Washington, NH weather station.
The station is actually chained to the rock with
huge chains and anchors.
Old September 1st 11, 05:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:15:07 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

On Sep 1, 9:02*am, wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:21:04 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Actually, I would. *More chances of that happening then you showing up
in person at my door, as you have frequently promised.

Liar. *I've never promised to show up at your door, liar.

Pussy. You certainly have, pussy. And you will always be a pussy who
didn't make good on his threats, pussy.
Where are those aliens? Maybe old JC will show up. Come to think of
it, the Second Coming will happen before you grow a set of balls,
pppppppppppuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy .
You're not man enough to show up in Seattle. Terrified of lattes and
flannel shirts. PPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSYYYYYY!!!!

I've been to Seattle, dumbass. I don't have any desire to go back.

On my list of places to avoid:
1. Hell
2. Texas (same as above)
3. Seattle
4. France
5. Ann Arbor

Vote for Romney.Repeal the nightmares
Old September 1st 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:49:36 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

wrote:

[...]

L'Anse Michigan is at 620 feet. That makes it about 1300 feet.
Not bad for a Midwest mountain. The U.P. gets plenty of snow so it
would be a great ski area but it's too remote.

You have no idea how remote the U.P. is. I once went to a place it
takes two days to get to. Seriously, you can be anywhere in the
continental U.S. in 24 hours, except the U.P.

BTW, I'm watching the news about how bad the destruction in Vermont
is. I'm supervised that there's no Hooters in Vermont. Well then,
nothing really got damaged.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old September 1st 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 09:43:07 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 8/31/11 7:23 PM, Walt wrote:

Too bad we don't get snow Hurricaines. Those would be loads of fun.

Blizzard are not really fun. The recording anemometer on Ward Peak hit
180 mph a few years ago and then blew away so the actual peak wind was
something higher. Fortunately the mountain ranges temper the winds in
the valleys. But a major blizzard often has dropped more than 8 feet of
snow in a few days.

Wuss. Here in Michigan we don't even close the schools for 8 feet.
That's considered a mild snowfall here.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

Skiers in NC? bigsphinx Nordic Skiing 0 January 23rd 11 04:00 PM
Why no US skiers in TdS? Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) Nordic Skiing 12 January 10th 08 03:21 PM
Recommendations for mixed groups, skiers and non-skiers ? John Owens European Ski Resorts 0 July 11th 05 11:47 AM
Any metric where US skiers are "up there"? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 13 March 22nd 05 07:05 PM
Why don't more skiers use RSN? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 03 03:49 AM