Hot Tar Roller Ski Face Plant

Old June 8th 04, 02:23 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Hot Tar Roller Ski Face Plant

Ouch!

I used to say I never fall when rollerskiing. But now it's twice in two
years.

Shiny tar surfaced on an asphalt patch of a culvert cut at the bottom of a
hill yesterday on Johnson Point Rd. in Roque Bluffs, Maine. 125 SR tires
stuck to it like glue. I was able to control the fall and use pole grips to
protect my hands. I can't wear gloves- my hands go numb from swelling in
the heat.

I kissed the pavement, but escaped with just some "hamburger" on outside
knee and thigh. Scuffed up newish boots.Could have been worse-way worse.

Was able to pole jog today.

Just keep that hot tar patch in mind.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old June 8th 04, 12:49 PM
sknyski

Ouch. I used to say I never fall on rollerskis, but then this was
this 2 month period about 4 years ago where I fell something like 5
times. Haven't fallen since....

Gary, perhaps this is a message from the ski gods to you sayin "Dude,
it's only the beginning of June - why are you rollerskiing"? (yes, ski
gods do use the word "dude")

:-)

bt
Old June 10th 04, 10:46 AM
Ken Roberts

Tar Snakes.
Yes, one more thing to watch for out on the pavement -- especially bad on
sunny afternoons. But now I'm in the habit of being careful of them all the
time -- I think sometimes the tar sections can also be strange when they're
cold.

There was a discussion about tar last year on the inline skating newsgroup
at
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre....supernews.com

Or go to Google Groups Advanced Search
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
and search on the words "tar snakes Duluth" with
Newsgroup = rec.sport.skate.inline

Ken

Old June 10th 04, 01:33 PM
Terje Mathisen

Default Hunting Confluences (Was: Hot Tar Roller Ski Face Plant)

Anders Lustig wrote:
Lustig (who also wishes to send greetings to Norway/from Norway
via Germany: http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,302000,00.html )

Nice! So now the article is online as well. :-)

Philip from der Spiegel contacted me some months ago, I suggested N62E11
as the closest unvisited degree confluence point, that would also be
reachable at this time of the year.

The norwegian meteorological office was spot on, they predicted just a
few patches of snow at 900 m altitude at this location, and when we got
up there, we found the first snow at about 880 m.

Terje

--
-