Storing your skiis

Old March 27th 04, 05:32 AM
Micheal Artindale

Default Storing your skiis

I am putting my skis away for the summertime. what do you do to them ?

Do you stor them on their ends, sides, tips or do u just get rid of them and
buy a new pair in the new season??

Micheal

Old March 27th 04, 06:27 AM
agale

wax them up with cheap wax to prevent oxidization. If they are skate
skis like mine, you want to make sure they are waxed up for sure to keep
them in decent shape for the winter. when the time comes, just scrape
them down and wax them up again!

Old March 27th 04, 12:18 PM
sknyski

Actually, I do just chuck the old ones and start fresh the next year.

bt

Old March 28th 04, 12:33 AM
32 degrees

Gene - hope you saw you won a prize on the www.skinnyski.com website for the
end of the survey thing ! I was looking over the results and saw your name
.... !

JK

Old March 28th 04, 02:07 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Yep, thanks, Bruce sent out automatic emails. More of my Twin Cities
luck. It's a XL Toko shirt. I wear L. Made me wonder if the drawing
really came out that way, or if Bruce needed someone large for a shirt
and instead of a DVD or high fluoro wax reslotted me over there.

32 degrees wrote:

Gene - hope you saw you won a prize on the www.skinnyski.com website for the
end of the survey thing ! I was looking over the results and saw your name
... !

Old March 29th 04, 05:42 PM
Rodney/SkiWax.ca

For storage a cool, dry location out of the sunlight would be best.

For the bases it is a good idea to put a wax on without scraping
it off after. For the glide zones use glide wax and for the kick zone
use kick wax. Putting glide wax in the kick zone means next season
the kick wax won't adhere as well unless you use wax remover or
sand the kick zone.

For kick wax I pick something that is colder than what I hope my
first ski of the season will be :-) That way I might save a bit of time
getting onto the ski trail because either the wax will be okay or I
can add a warm kick wax over top (cold on warm is awkward).
For glide you can do the same: choose the glide you think will match
your first ski of the season. Choose a non-fluoro wax. Over the summer
it will slowly penetrate into the base a bit more.
If you're a keener/racer :-) I'd use a base penetration wax for
the storage.

Actually, before you iron the summer wax on, you should make sure the
bases are clean. Not helpful keeping the dirt on them all summer.

Rodney

Old April 1st 04, 12:45 AM
TahoeXCSkier

Toko recommends putting red paraffin wax on ski bases for summer
storage. Not the yellow one.
Swix used to recommend putting CH10 on "warm" skis and CH8 on "cold".
Not sure what difference this makes...

It is a good idea to store skis with bindings "open" (unless they are
automatic). I also usually sprinkle WD-40 on moving parts.

Old April 1st 04, 05:26 AM
Griss

"TahoeXCSkier" wrote in message
om...
Toko recommends putting red paraffin wax on ski bases for summer
storage. Not the yellow one.
Swix used to recommend putting CH10 on "warm" skis and CH8 on "cold".
Not sure what difference this makes...

I think that would be because you want to keep your "cold" skis saturated
with relatively colder wax because there would be a less (?) warm wax to
displace with the CH 4 or 6 when that time comes around. Makes me think,
why not something like CH 6 or 7 as long as you iron it in well and leave it
unscraped.

It is a good idea to store skis with bindings "open" (unless they are
automatic). I also usually sprinkle WD-40 on moving parts.

Why open? Just wondering. I always keep my bindings closed. The WD 40 is
a good idea.

Griss

Old April 1st 04, 11:38 AM
Joe Galloway

Interesting. Why does Toko recommend red paraffin over yellow for ski
storage?
This is news to me. I have alway heard that you used a soft wax.
Thanks.
Joe