To pole or not to pole

Old January 18th 05, 03:49 PM
yunlong

Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Why not just use hands [hitting the slalom poles]? The racer in this
configuration may even be able to "run" through the course?

And let's not forget

3) FIS regulations

Still try to hold on the status quo? What if we change the rules to
"poles optional," or even "no poles," how would the games shape up?

X games and skier X come to mind.

A sanctioned knowledge is a fake at its best, and corrupted at its
worst.

IS

--
//-Walt
//

Old January 18th 05, 04:00 PM
Walt

Sven Golly wrote:

bdubya wrote

Did you look like this?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Hokey smokes!! That's the worst mix of mediocre technique I think I've ever
seen.

But you could learn to ski that way for a mere $60/hr.

Wanna take some lessons?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_lesson.html

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 18th 05, 04:02 PM
yunlong

bdubya wrote:
On 16 Jan 2005 19:51:07 -0800, "yunlong"
wrote:

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over 40
degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

Did you look like this?

Close enough, I was the chaser holding the camera.

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Embarrassing.

You feel so? The angle of the camera played a joke on you.

The trail is Upper Dynamic, Sierra-at-Tahoe; needless to say it is a
"diamond run," if you can shot a line down, even with poles, you are a
hotshot already, however, can you do it without poles?

IS

bw

Old January 18th 05, 04:11 PM
MoonMan

yunlong wrote:
Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Why not just use hands [hitting the slalom poles]? The racer in this
configuration may even be able to "run" through the course?

V. simple, It hurts!

C *:-)

Old January 18th 05, 04:38 PM
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

bdubya wrote

Did you look like this?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Hokey smokes!! That's the worst mix of mediocre technique I think I've
ever seen.

But you could learn to ski that way for a mere $60/hr.

Wanna take some lessons?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_lesson.html

bw
Where, specifically, did you find that .wmv file?

It's not listed on the taomartialarts website that I
can find anywhere. If I go to
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/
I get an access denied error.

Reason for asking is that I bet IS has some other
movies floating around other than those showing
ballet on green or blue groomers.

VtSkier
Old January 18th 05, 05:26 PM
yunlong

MoonMan wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Why not just use hands [hitting the slalom poles]? The racer in

this
configuration may even be able to "run" through the course?

V. simple, It hurts!

Yup, that'd change the equation; can't afford a gauntlet, eh?

IS

C *:-)

Old January 18th 05, 06:17 PM
Mary Malmros

yunlong wrote:

Walt wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Why not just use hands [hitting the slalom poles]?

Go ahead and try it. Just once. Moving at World Cup speeds, not at
your drag-ass "flatboarding" speeds.

p.s. I hope your insurance covers lots of PT. It would be _such_ a
shame if you couldn't type any more.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 18th 05, 06:20 PM
yunlong

Sven Golly wrote:
"yunlong" wrote in
ups.com:

then roll downhill "upside down" until your skis come out
the surface.

Good suggestion for anyone on a those flat-boarding 40=B0
slopes. Will help thin the herd.

Small talk boosts your ego, eh?

"So Mr. Johnson, how'd you injure yourself?"

"Err, my skis got stuck in the pow off High Rustler. So I remember

this
guy Yumlong suggests rolling downhill until they come to the surface.

tried and the next thing I remember was waking up in ER."

When you stop/get stuck on a "armpit deep powder," you are stuck,
without a 40 degree slope to roll, you probably can't even recover; now
try to find your just released ski, while each step the boot sinks you
even deeper.

Maybe you need to learn how to roll as well?

IS

=20
--=20
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual
Remove the _ to reply

Old January 18th 05, 07:24 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:20:16 -0500, Walt
wrote:

BTW, how was bahemya?

Yes, I am curious as well. I considered it, but had to work
yesterday. 550 miles is a long ways for a short weekend.

We had a north wind here, cold and dry. Did that pull any moisture
off the lake?

nate
Old January 18th 05, 08:17 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:19:59 -0500, Walt
wrote:

David Harris wrote:

I have no idea what Mr. Yunlong is really talking about.

Well, have you tried offering him a bunny with a pancake on it's head?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

Well I thought I had an idea while watching that video. A form of
skiing so slow that you can ski a whole mountain without stopping, but
then they stopped at the end, and my theory was blown out of the
water.

Why did they stop? To exchange more lousy ski tips? Certainly not to
rest.

nate

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 04:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 04:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 03:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 02:46 PM